Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
OBS/DISCO - The Historic James Blizzard of 2022

TalcottWx

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

What some Monday morning quarter backs fail to understand is wind packing quickly dropped the fluff. If I measured this morning I only had 18 but with 6 hr snowboard and peak depth of 22 it was 24. Totally confident in my numbers. @JC lol on those Columbia reports. Wind scoured when I got there at 7 last night but on the hill 6 to 8 max. The big numbers started in Scotland but really ramped up just after Canterbury at the Plainfield line. 

It definitely varied. Like in that pic with Brett, he might had some protection from his house or whoever’s house that is in the pic. Enough to prevent some scouring. I noticed that in some areas today. Those areas that weren’t prone to wind had big time depth. 

• Like 1

Just now, CoastalWx said:

It definitely varied. Like in that pic with Brett, he might had some protection from his house or whoever’s house that is in the pic. Enough to prevent some scouring. I noticed that in some areas today. Those areas that weren’t prone to wind had big time depth. 

Yep the front of my house away from the roof held 20 plus. The spots near the roof have 30 plus lol. My roof had a 5 foot drift with a wave curl hanging off the top.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Yes… that spot was In between my house and the neighbors, kind of sheltered a bit.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

What some Monday morning quarter backs fail to understand is wind packing quickly dropped the fluff. If I measured this morning I only had 18 but with 6 hr snowboard and peak depth of 22 it was 24. Totally confident in my numbers. @JC lol on those Columbia reports. Wind scoured when I got there at 7 last night but on the hill 6 to 8 max. The big numbers started in Scotland but really ramped up just after Canterbury at the Plainfield line. 

This isn’t going to be vaporized by the sun, there is meat, no doubt 

Also, we went to our friends in Duxbury. We were bringing them dinner, but they just got back their power luckily. Interesting obs heading down rt 3. I. Noticed a little snow sticking to the trees right around Hanover. As we went for the south just passed Marshfield heading into Duxbury, it was a lot more snow sticking to the trees, however it wasn’t paste and also was getting blown off too.  But the snow was noticeably wetter. Those line covered neighborhoods did have some decent snow stacked on the branches. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Had fun lurking all day on this incredible storm! Here is a radar loop showing the crazy banding earlier this afternoon.  Congrats to all! :mapsnow:

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Who had that radar loop of that storm? I can’t find that now. That was awesome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Greg said:

After reading all this post storm analysis gives me doubts now about my total. It's strange, yesterday just before it got dark it was still snowing but the entire depths ranged from 12" - 30" worth of drifting in both the front and back yard. Almost wonder if some of the snow from other surrounding neighbors' houses landed in my yard. That's why I hate trying to measure very fluffy wind-blown snow. Heck, I'm usually guilty for undermeasuring. :rolleyes:

It was very tough...I know you are usually conservative. 

• Like 1

I wonder how far it is taken when it comes to not being supposed to measure drifts. In a storm like this one, the whole snowfall is in drifts. The amounts vary dramatically from on location on the ground to another….

When it came to a storm like this, what even counts as a drift? Obviously you can’t include a measurement of the tall vertical plastering against the wall of a house that is 5 times as tall as the field average and count for an average among 7 different field measurements 

But drifts are still made of snow, and that snow came from being removed from the open area. The idea is that if you enter a large enough area you should be able to measure a multitude of spots and get an accurate measure but I don’t know. With such fierce winds, I am imagining there were large-scale disturbances in snow on the ground.

Hell, I even think that the winds were so fierce that, for areas like mine that were on the western edge of larger snowfall amounts, that the wind actually carried a large amount of snow that fell over Willimantic to towns miles away to the east. Like tornadoes removing a roof and depositing it 3 miles away. Because areas to the west received lighter precipitation, the snow being blown away to the east was not replaced by incoming snow from the west.

9 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Appreciate that man. The nonsense yesterday that continued today was absurd. 

We always go back and forth, but I'm never serious when I say that stuff. You took a lot of ribbing yesterday, so I feel like that can take on a life of it's own sometimes.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, IowaStorm05 said:

I wonder how far it is taken when it comes to not being supposed to measure drifts. In a storm like this one, the whole snowfall is in drifts. The amounts vary dramatically from on location on the ground to another….

When it came to a storm like this, what even counts as a drift? Obviously you can’t include a measurement of the tall vertical plastering against the wall of a house that is 5 times as tall as the field average and count for an average among 7 different field measurements 

But drifts are still made of snow, and that snow came from being removed from the open area. The idea is that if you enter a large enough area you should be able to measure a multitude of spots and get an accurate measure but I don’t know. With such fierce winds, I am imagining there were large-scale disturbances in snow on the ground.

Hell, I even think that the winds were so fierce that, for areas like mine that were on the western edge of larger snowfall amounts, that the wind actually carried a large amount of snow that fell over Willimantic to towns miles away to the east. Like tornadoes removing a roof and depositing it 3 miles away. Because areas to the west received lighter precipitation, the snow being blown away to the east was not replaced by incoming snow from the west.

I think for most of us, we do a best guess, and we try to be as close as possible.  However, NWS has their own guide how to take accurate measurements that are consistent, so in theory, if you want to report those numbers to the NWS, you should be following their guidelines, whenever possible:

https://www.weather.gov/media/coop/Snow_Measurement_Guidelines-2014.pdf

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

We always go back and forth, but I'm never serious when I say that stuff. You took a lot of ribbing yesterday, so I feel like that can take on a life of it's own sometimes.

From 1 person . And the strange thing was they usually don’t have that kind of bad behavior. Something may have happened 

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

From 1 person . And the strange thing was they usually don’t have that kind of bad behavior. Something may have happened 

Yeah, your reported amount was inconsistent with where the banding was and a bunch of other reports from people here and from the NWS, including one that was 2,000 feet from you that was literally half of what you said. Just thought maybe you were measuring snow the same way you look at rgem clown maps, that's all. But if it's good, it's good.

• Haha 2
  • Weenie 2

21 minutes ago, bristolri_wx said:

I think for most of us, we do a best guess, and we try to be as close as possible.  However, NWS has their own guide how to take accurate measurements that are consistent, so in theory, if you want to report those numbers to the NWS, you should be following their guidelines, whenever possible:

https://www.weather.gov/media/coop/Snow_Measurement_Guidelines-2014.pdf

I’m not a spotter. I was a spotter however in 2009-2012 and reported regular reports to NWS when I lived in Reno, NV. We do get snow there but snow in Reno usually does not drift.

It is ironic that Reno snow does not drift that often because in actuality Reno is a very very windy climate and Winter storms regularly bring Southwest winds gusting to 50, 60, 70mph. But you see when that is happening it coincides with strong mountain shadowing and lenticular clouds. When precipitation finally makes it over the mountain and into Reno the wind becomes calm and the snow then falls in big flakes gently down. Snow in Reno is also usually wet.

My reports were great, no drifting complications, although in February 2010 we had an event where a tiny band of snow trained over MBY out of an area Northwest of the town and calmly deposited 25 inches while most of the rest of Reno got 5-10 inches total and Tahoe got 1 inch. When I called in one of the spotter reports mid-way through the storm to report 8 inches the guy taking my call didn’t believe me…. But that storm did not drift and I used a perfectly legit yard stick in an open yard. This was a major bust because the forecast predicted 1-2 inches for the area. The idea that they never figured out SW Reno got that much snow from that band disturbs me although I’m sure they were able to see the radar. 

Tahoe and the Sierra itself get lots of drifting especially over the Sierra crest. But not in the lower Valleys. I am not saying it can’t happen but it’s rare.

2 hours ago, JC-CT said:

Yeah, your reported amount was inconsistent with where the banding was and a bunch of other reports from people here and from the NWS, including one that was 2,000 feet from you that was literally half of what you said. Just thought maybe you were measuring snow the same way you look at rgem clown maps, that's all. But if it's good, it's good.

Your off base dude. 

Screenshot_20220130-225513_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Howard, just from going around town it was jan2015 but I didn’t venture more than a 3 mile radius from my house.   A ton of snow otg and bitterly cold.   Winter.   But as Ray said, nw of 95 was muted somewhat to a more regular big snow vs historic.  My friend in Waltham living right on 95 practically thinks about 16 inches.

• Like 1