Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 28-29, 2022 Miller abcdefu Storm Threat

WxUSAF

2 minutes ago, Solution Man said:

I don’t know, it’s like a cage match. Perhaps the truth lies in the middle.

Thinking the same. A high end advisory to low end warning snowfall areawide would be a win. We truly need things to go just right to score big in these setups

5 minutes ago, jayyy said:

What do you think? 00z Euro steps back toward the GFS? Or moves toward the NAM?

The NAM. 

Like I said earlier, hoping the GFS stays true to form for this season and shifts the storm to the west over the next couple of days. Maybe we don't get the 30" snow, but at least a nice 6-8" for most of us.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Assume the 1-3/2-4 solutions will be reality.  Easier to keep the expectations in check.  

Yep. I lived just outside of NYC for 26 years growing up. Seen this type of setup enough times to know that E NJ NYC / LI into coastal New England are almost guaranteed to get hit hard by this. My parents house in the lower Hudson valley about 30 miles NNW of nyc is a bit more hit or miss in these setups. Evolutions like the 00z NAM would absolutely crush them with 12-18” under intense CCB bands streaming off the Atlantic. More easterly tracking storms would fringe their area with 2-4” while LI to cape cod saw 12-24”. There was a winter in the early 2000s where we saw numerous east tracking Miller B storms and LI saw 50+“ for the winter while we only saw 20” or so. It was rough. 

My hope for down here is a solid advisory level event (3-5”) combining the initial NS snow and a brush from the coastal with a potential low end warning boom (6-8) for 95 on east if the stars align. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, IUsedToHateCold said:

The NAM. 

Like I said earlier, hoping the GFS stays true to form for this season and shifts the storm to the west over the next couple of days. Maybe we don't get the 30" snow, but at least a nice 6-8" for most of us.  

Can’t argue with the fact that the Gfs tends to be a bit too flat / progressive outside of 72 hours and that it typically trends west as we approach game time. 

Man…. what id do to have ANY semblance of blocking to the NE heading into this storm. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LP08 said:

TPV over eastern Canada was further south and west and was tilting the trof more positively.  That allows the southern vort to stretch.

That interaction was there and has gotten incrementally "worse" the past couple runs.

I noted the oddness on the 18z GEFS with the lack of snowfall in our area but higher totals in SE VA. Clearly a large contingent of the members were seeing this and/or something else. I guess we were all so focused on the SW energy we didn't pay much attention to what was going on up north.

• Like 1

It's still a 2-4" US15 to I-95, then 3-6" I-95 to CAPE's area, then it's easy WSW east of there. Basically all timing with the southern stream s/w. It is further west and phases/goes ape about 6 hrs too late for the fun to be further west like the 12z run. Not the end of the world, but still pretty par for the course for the expectation right now. Outside a few glory runs from guidance, this is actually pretty consistent right now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• mappy locked and unpinned this topic