• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 28-29, 2022 Miller abcdefu Storm Threat

WxUSAF

If that piece in the four corners comes out sooner and times up with the ns sooner, that will cause the heights in front to raise faster because it will cause the deepening to happen sooner. Still riding the alignment aspect of this. I know when I watch the 0z runs come in, I’ll only be looking at that piece and hoping it’s further east. If by some miracle we could get it directly under that ns piece, which I actually don’t think will happen, then we are talking about a completely different outcome IMO.

@WinterWxLuvrEarlier, when you mentioned this storm changing shape. One of the things i'm maybe starting to take notice wrt to the Euro and NAM even earlier was the evolution and what it could mean for areas further south. Some folks in the other forums speaking of the Euro at 18z closing off h5 earlier and further SW. This can cause that evolution where depending on track of low and tilt on the trough out latitude wins and further north doesn't do as well. 

8 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

The storm personality has changed quite a bit the last 3 days. It's still northern stream dominant but digs really deep and ignites the low pretty far south off the coast. That's new and why everyone is excited. Before it was a typical northern stream shortwave that sets things off too far north for us. Common in Nina's. This storm is on the rare side as is 

Agreed. The presentation has changed in several ways. As shown on the euro, I think most of the snow we’re (metro corridor) getting is not from coastal per se but from that gorgeous ULL. Seems GFS has that through northern NC and into VA. Euro is more over the metro area. Encouraging developments, but still 72 hours to go so more changes to come.

Looking at how the tail has trended across different models, it's interesting how the euro has ended up being the one most bullish about snow given how ruinous the tail seemed to be a couple days ago - the last few runs on it have actually been trending to a longer tail, but it's so aggressive with that northern piece towards the end that it ends up still being a better result for us. The GFS meanwhile has been shortening that tail for a few runs now but has not become nearly as enthusiastic about phasing as the euro. CMC also trended to a shorter tail from 00z to 12z and was once again not as big of an improvement as the euro today. As for the mesos, the NAM has been shrinking it quite aggressively and the RGEM has been less committal, jumping back and forth between short and long. If we can blend some of the north american global and meso tail handling with the euro's NS progression, I'd imagine that would be quite good. On the other hand, if the euro is right about the tail but the rest are right about the NS, then we're not gonna be hearing jaws anytime soon.

Just now, baltosquid said:

Looking at how the tail has trended across different models, it's interesting how the euro has ended up being the one most bullish about snow given how ruinous the tail seemed to be a couple days ago - the last few runs on it have actually been trending to a longer tail, but it's so aggressive with that northern piece towards the end that it ends up still being a better result for us. The GFS meanwhile has been shortening that tail for a few runs now but has not become nearly as enthusiastic about phasing as the euro. CMC also trended to a shorter tail from 00z to 12z and was once again not as big of an improvement as the euro today. As for the mesos, the NAM has been shrinking it quite aggressively and the RGEM has been less committal, jumping back and forth between short and long. If we can blend some of the north american global and meso tail handling with the euro's NS progression, I'd imagine that would be quite good. On the other hand, if the euro is right about the tail but the rest are right about the NS, then we're not gonna be hearing jaws anytime soon.

Well said, the jaws meter is an important scale that we might need to create going forward. Anyone want to get over into photoshop? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DDweatherman said:

@WinterWxLuvrEarlier, when you mentioned this storm changing shape. One of the things i'm maybe starting to take notice wrt to the Euro and NAM even earlier was the evolution and what it could mean for areas further south. Some folks in the other forums speaking of the Euro at 18z closing off h5 earlier and further SW. This can cause that evolution where depending on track of low and tilt on the trough out latitude wins and further north doesn't do as well. 

My thoughts are that originally the storm formed a long way out in the ocean and basically tracked almost north. This late formation was due to the trough taking forever to at least reach neutral. Now it seems to be evolving toward an earlier neutral and a quicker storm genesis. And I think we very much want that.

• Weenie 2

3 minutes ago, baltosquid said:

I think if we want the coastal, we need the ns to eat that southern feature like Pac-Man. Not grab it like a thread on a sweater and pull.

• Like 1

Just now, WinterWxLuvr said:

I think if we want the coastal, we need the ns to eat that southern feature like Pac-Man. Not grab it like a thread on a sweater and pull.

The reason it does the pull depends on the type of tail feature like he mentioned. We also as you've mentioned want the northern piece diving in to have as meridional (N/S) alignment as possible. 

Just now, DDweatherman said:

The reason it does the pull depends on the type of tail feature like he mentioned. We also as you've mentioned want the northern piece diving in to have as meridional (N/S) alignment as possible. 

The “tail” is actually the remnants of the sw piece that’s basically getting shredded. Let it get gobbled and watch what happens. The NAM came very close to that.

1 minute ago, DDweatherman said:

If it not be too much trouble...could you or someone point out this ns feature that could help us? (I have trouble deciphering what I'm looking at on the H5)

• mappy locked and unpinned this topic