Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

1 minute ago, pasnownut said:

Ditto.  Bones too old for 0.  Cold enough for snow is my cup of tea.  We both know thats way too far out to "worry" about, but takeaway is that cold looks to hold, so we just gotta find some qpf to throw into it.  

I would be surprised if nothing transpires (qpf wise) over the next two-three weeks despite the GFS depiction. 

10 minutes ago, canderson said:

Will Sunday be more sleet than zr? I hope so. ZR is no bueno. 

I’m personally concerned about the potential for really icy roads Sunday Morning despite what might only be a couple tenths of precip. I look to 925mb often to make that determination on sleet v freezing rain and 925mb gets routed pretty quick on the models with precip arrival along with pretty warm 850 temps that are already established. That’s why you see a really defined line at the Allegheny Front on the 2m map. Probably the first half of Sat Night looks pretty clear and calm so surface temps are going to fall pretty rapidly east of the Alleghenies. This after the cold day today and like temps in the low to mid teens tonight and pack on the ground. I-80 corridor north in C-PA might hold enough depth in the cold to get some sleet while the folks near the M/D line in the LSV might moderate at the surface quicker and have a later onset of precip, but this has higher impact advisory ZR event written all over it for most of PA east of the Laurel’s IMO. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

I’m personally concerned about the potential for really icy roads Sunday Morning despite what might only be a couple tenths of precip. I look to 925mb often to make that determination on sleet v freezing rain and 925mb gets routed pretty quick on the models with precip arrival along with pretty warm 850 temps that are already established. That’s why you see a really defined line at the Allegheny Front on the 2m map. Probably the first half of Sat Night looks pretty clear and calm so surface temps are going to fall pretty rapidly east of the Alleghenies. This after the cold day today and like temps in the low to mid teens tonight and pack on the ground. I-80 corridor north in C-PA might hold enough depth in the cold to get some sleet while the folks near the M/D line in the LSV might moderate at the surface quicker and have a later onset of precip, but this has higher impact advisory ZR event written all over it for most of PA east of the Laurel’s IMO. 

Falls primarily as some kinda frozen for eastern 1/2 of state.  Maybe a little drizzle at end for lower LSV.  That could be a notable glaze if this look holds.

namconus_apcpn_neus_19.png

5 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Snowfall map compiled earlier this morning - virtually all of the "true" LSV (Adams, York, Cumberland, Dauphin, Lebanon, York, and Lancaster fell between 4-8". As shown, highest totals were found in York, Adams, and out into Rouzerland. 

I feel like this was another storm that, for the most part, was modeled pretty well.

13 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

I feel like this was another storm that, for the most part, was modeled pretty well.

I sure think so! 

This is my pet peeve with snowfall accumulation forecasts - if we get .3" of rain instead of .5", only a weenie would know that. (and many of them who wouldn't, either) But .3" of QPF that falls as snow can look a lot different than .5". It's amounts, ratios, temps, time of day...there is so much. It all matters. But when a forecast HAS to be made, and it's for 2-5" and someone gets 6" or 7"...oh my, what a terrible forecast! Except it really wasn't.

The models did well with the overall placement of the 2 heaviest axis of snow...one in the mountains to our SW, the other primarily to our NE. Parts of our area got into that first axis that might have been a bit of a surprise, but as far as trying to forecast amounts for that type of storm, the models and forecasters did their jobs. And well. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Day 8 on the Euro looks like an interesting timeframe 

That is our mid month shot I think.  GGEM looks interesting two days later but the flow is a big progressive and the trough-N/S Shortwave behind it does not seem to yell phase.  Maybe I am not looking at it correctly. 

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

That is our mid month shot I think.  GGEM looks interesting two days later but the flow is a big progressive and the trough-N/S Shortwave behind it does not seem to yell phase.  Maybe I am not looking at it correctly. 

Bob Chill was talking about that shortwave setting the stage for something to potentially follow on its heels a few days later - he doesn't think that this is the one for us.