Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

8 hours ago, Festus said:

From the semi but not totally useless department, today is the latest sunrise around these parts.

And to really wow your friends, today is also coincidentally Earth's closest orbital distance to the sun.

Yep, happy Perihelion!  We are only about 3% closer to the sun today than during Aphelion.

29 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

Going to need a change in the pattern to keep the rich from becoming richer. I haven't cared to inquire about anything past this weekend, but I imagine it gets warm again.

No, it actually stays cold(ish) here in the east, as ridging goes bonkers out west, and trough is in east.  Its not a deep trough, but enough cold on our side for once.  Verbatim its not horrible, as if the trough went any deeper it'd likely lead to suppression depression.  We remain close to the boundary, so simiar events like next in line would be more likely (if we get them).  I'm only worride that the trough is shallow, and any further relaxation could be bad for us southern folk (forum wise).  Verbatim using GEFS/GEPS it gets colder deeper into long range.  If the ridge rolls over out west....we'd be cooked.  Not seeing that tho.

Just now, pasnownut said:

No, it actually stays cold(ish) here in the east, as ridging goes bonkers out west, and trough is in east.  Its not a deep trough, but enough cold on our side for once.  Verbatim its not horrible, as if the trough went any deeper it'd likely lead to suppression depression.  We remain close to the boundary, so simiar events like next in line would be more likely (if we get them).  I'm only worride that the trough is shallow, and any further relaxation could be bad for us southern folk (forum wise).  Verbatim using GEFS/GEPS it gets colder deeper into long range.  If the ridge rolls over out west....we'd be cooked.  Not seeing that tho.

The problem is there is no precip. 

Tellies looking decent as we get out into long range. 

AO/NAO looking to go neg mid month

PNA neutralish (lets just say less negative), so I'll take that as a positive :P

MJO still going twds 8.  

Boiled down....if it happens as currently shown, it matches up well w/ the basinwide looks being shown on LR guidance.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Cold and no precip is perfectly fine and welcome if the landscape is white. 

FYP.  its not green in January....:lol:

Lets just get some snow and hope we can hold onto it.  You'll get your green in April, and have it till next December.

That Gulf low on the GFS, for the 16th, coincides with what had been advertised as a possible period to watch on the GEFS as well as a similar but less elongated look on the 12Z Op.   The timing does not work on the OP today because the spin up is too early and runs into the departing high/ridge as well as a wave that sort of represents a 50/50 low, so it is shunted out.  But cold and dry is not a forgone conclusion. 

image.png.830a01fc3b30e377207937b6c3d51317.png

500h_anom.na.png

5 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Man, seeing lots of MA pissing and moaning posts concerning the southern part of the forum winning on Monday.   Cannot understand it.  The more southern posters like snow as well and its good they got in one.  Hope this place never falls to that type of envy. 

I'm guessing its because they dont "get it like we do". 

Forum wise, us southern folk historically sacrifice much for our norther brethren....we know it, readily accept it....and while envious of them...never wish them less snow.  We're better than that.....well most of us anyway.  hehe

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Man, seeing lots of MA pissing and moaning posts concerning the southern part of the forum winning on Monday.   Cannot understand it.  The more southern posters like snow as well and its good they got in one.  Hope this place never falls to that type of envy. 

Isn't it something? It's amazing what snow does to some people. This is what I was saying yesterday - man, I love snow but I'll be happy when others get it even if I don't. I got a lot more real life problems to deal with than getting pissy over it not snowing. 

• Like 2

Just now, pasnownut said:

I'm guessing its because they dont "get it like we do". 

Forum wise, us southern folk historically sacrifice much for our norther brethren....we know it, readily accept it....and while envious of them...never wish them less snow.  We're better than that.....well most of us anyway.  hehe

I understand some getting frustrated if there is too much LSV talk (which there probably is) but some MA posters are hoping for results based on how little snow the south could get.  So childish.   In our forum I think a lot of the Northern and Western folks are envious of the 20 and 30" snows the South Central is more prone to get. 

Just now, Itstrainingtime said:

Isn't it something? It's amazing what snow does to some people. This is what I was saying yesterday - man, I love snow but I'll be happy when others get it even if I don't. I got a lot more real life problems to deal with than getting pissy over it not snowing. 

Yea, I saw your post but wanted to chip in another opinion in support of it :-). 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

I understand some getting frustrated if there is too much LSV talk (which there probably is) but some MA posters are hoping for results based on how little snow the south could get.  So childish.   In our forum I think a lot of the Northern and Western folks are envious of the 20 and 30" snows the South Central is more prone to get. 

Northern and Central PA (true central) have missed out on a lot of storms that we've enjoyed over the past 10-15 years. Wasn't like that in the 70s and 80s for sure. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Christ they just had a double digit snowstorm that is why I don't go over there

2 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

If MDT gets to a season total of 2” before I do, the jealousy will be stifling.

Well you are an extended  member so we may have to give you more slack.   I was just thinking...if Friday fails me, I will probably get to winters mid way point without having my grass covered in snow.   Yikes. 

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Well you are an extended  member so we may have to give you more slack.   I was just thinking...if Friday fails me, I will probably get to winters mid way point without having my grass covered in snow.   Yikes. 

I just looked at some numbers and there have been 8 times this century alone where MDT had less snow through today’s date than the 1.1” so far this year.

27 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Some folks in that southern portion of that subforum region are having a case of this because of the snowstorm. From what I understand there are still a lot of people stranded on I-95 below DC in the Fredericksburg area (including VA US Sen Tim Kaine) as of at least earlier today and I believe the stretch between Dumfries and Ruther Glen (between Fredericksburg and Richmond) is still closed. Those double digit top end amounts the models zeroed in on the last couple days did end up coming to fruition and considering how fast it probably came down I couldn’t imagine trying to navigate that stretch of 95 during it. 

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/transportation/never-seen-anything-like-it-drivers-stranded-for-15-hours-on-i-95-in-virginia/2926464/

https://www.foxnews.com/us/virginia-i-95-winter-storm-traffic-jam-latest-updates

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/04/weather/winter-weather-tuesday/index.html

• Thanks 2