Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

9 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

Where I grew up in Southern Lancaster county (about 600 feet) I remember several times each winter we would have snow on the ground during borderline events while at Penn Manor high school in Millersville (lower in elevation) would have rain or just wet snow.

Mt. Nebo and Martic Township, at their higher elevations, were even snowier. That area is a VERY unique microclimate that many people don't know about.

Good stuff.  Solanco school district is huge with a varied climate.  I recall many times where they'd have delays and no other districts would.  They just cover such a vast swath of hilly terrain.  You are right most don't realize what it can be like down there.

• Like 1

Where I grew up in Southern Lancaster county (about 600 feet) I remember several times each winter we would have snow on the ground during borderline events while at Penn Manor high school in Millersville (lower in elevation) would have rain or just wet snow.

Mt. Nebo and Martic Township, at their higher elevations, were even snowier. That area is a VERY unique microclimate that many people don't know about.

I missed this post! You are exactly right - I was a student at Marticville back in the 1970s. (gulp) I remember one winter when we got an early dismissal at the middle school - by the time the busses pulled out of the lots, there was probably close to 6" on the ground and it was snowing like crazy. I was pumped! My bus headed NW towards the outskirts of Millersville and by the time I got home...there was less than 1" on the ground. 

I was never more ready to go back to school that day. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, paweather said:

CTP calling for 1-2" thus far probably right around here. 

yeah, sadly cold will be arriving after a good slug of precip has already fallen for many of us SE of the mtns.  Looks like a blue mtn and points N and W dealeo again.  State College is sittin pretty as per most maps.  Good to CTP in the crosshairs of a nice bookend winter event.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

yeah, sadly cold will be arriving after a good slug of precip has already fallen for many of us SE of the mtns.  Looks like a blue mtn and points N and W dealeo again.  State College is sittin pretty as per most maps.  Good to CTP in the crosshairs of a nice bookend winter event.  

Let's hope the EURO holds serve

• Like 1

Yeah no doubt the "river hills" would hold the cold a bit better.  As you know, my wife went to PM  and elementary in Conestoga.  When i road raced bicycles for Rich Ruoff (the Chameleon club), we hosted a race there. "the Tour of Mt. Nebo".  What a gut wrenching road race let me tell ya.  Arguably one of the hardest road race coursed I've ever seen (locally mind you).  I derailed a chain on one one of the early climbs and was off the back, so I dropped out.  50 miles of climbs...lets just say I was pissed, but only mildly so.  I was a sprinter, not a climber.  Sorry to "derail" the thread.  Small world.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Good stuff.  Solanco school district is huge with a varied climate.  I recall many times where they'd have delays and no other districts would.  They just cover such a vast swath of hilly terrain.  You are right most don't realize what it can be like down there.

Yes, indeed. It's really fascinating how it works. The areas I mentioned are actually in Penn Manor School District. The district is huge in area and the southern end from where I was outside of West Willow to Mt. Nebo had a more extreme climate than other areas of the county. More snow, wind, and INTENSE thunderstorms. Those storms would form over southern York county and roll along the hills into S. Lancaster county. The local news stations always would broadbrush "lowest snow totals" there because it was "south", which didn't always work out. I remember several times going from Millersville down to the Conestoga River on Rte. 741 with nothing, and then coming up the hill to the New Danville Turkey Hill and then all of a sudden snowcover. Like I said, the further south towards Mt. Nebo and in higher elevation, it was even more extreme. I always wanted to live down there. lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, canderson said:

I thiiiiink the rain would’ve made the pre treatment useless. 

and I had a  low of 29. There goes my no subfreezing  temps for 10 days lol 

i wasn't really talking about pre-treatment as much as there were no trucks out salting, zero! like nothing was happening. 

41 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I missed this post! You are exactly right - I was a student at Marticville back in the 1970s. (gulp) I remember one winter when we got an early dismissal at the middle school - by the time the busses pulled out of the lots, there was probably close to 6" on the ground and it was snowing like crazy. I was pumped! My bus headed NW towards the outskirts of Millersville and by the time I got home...there was less than 1" on the ground. 

I was never more ready to go back to school that day. 

I was a Marticville middle School student as well! I still tell people about my middle school being built on a fault line and how you could actually see the crack going through the school! I lived on the hill right above Fisher's Steel and Pequea Elementary School. I could see Marticville Middle School miles and miles away from my house. Oh, the view! The wind there was insane.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Yeah no doubt the "river hills" would hold the cold a bit better.  As you know, my wife went to PM  and elementary in Conestoga.  When i road raced bicycles for Rich Ruoff (the Chameleon club), we hosted a race there. "the Tour of Mt. Nebo".  What a gut wrenching road race let me tell ya.  Arguably one of the hardest road race coursed I've ever seen (locally mind you).  I derailed a chain on one one of the early climbs and was off the back, so I dropped out.  50 miles of climbs...lets just say I was pissed, but only mildly so.  I was a sprinter, not a climber.  Sorry to "derail" the thread.  Small world.

Indeed! It looks like several of you are very familiar with that area! It was such a beautiful area to grow up in and encouraged my passion for weather and nature. It is THE hidden secret of Lancaster County (until I just blabbered about it.) lol

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Yes, indeed. It's really fascinating how it works. The areas I mentioned are actually in Penn Manor School District. The district is huge in area and the southern end from where I was outside of West Willow to Mt. Nebo had a more extreme climate than other areas of the county. More snow, wind, and INTENSE thunderstorms. Those storms would form over southern York county and roll along the hills into S. Lancaster county. The local news stations always would broadbrush "lowest snow totals" there because it was "south", which didn't always work out. I remember several times going from Millersville down to the Conestoga River on Rte. 741 with nothing, and then coming up the hill to the New Danville Turkey Hill and then all of a sudden snowcover. Like I said, the further south towards Mt. Nebo and in higher elevation, it was even more extreme. I always wanted to live down there. lol

Yes yes my mistake Penn Manor.  Solanco is even more vast and unknown to most Lancastrians haha.  Good stuff, loving your tales of southern living.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1