Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
TIMS model verification, December 31, 2021 - January 3, 2022

Holston_River_Rambler

3 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

I think you're going to do much better than me with this one Reb. 

I suspect I will have boundary layer problems until the precip is just starting to move out, but the ~50 miles between me and Blount county will make a ton of difference. The low starts to deepen as the precip is moving out for me, but I think foothills areas will get really good rates for a while. 

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611116cffe644d5f5f0ad

The 14z HRRR actually shows areas closer to the mts turning before me in SE Morgan county. 

I recently moved to Seymour so I’m a little close to the mountains than I was :D

What a beautiful and impressive system to watch unfold 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

12z GFS give Jeff more snow than me, lol:

palGLDf.png

I wouldn’t focus too much on small areas being shown with BL issues. The models don’t have enough resolution to accurately predict accumulations during quick hitting heavy events like this. I still believe this will be a quick 1-3 on elevated surfaces even in the lower elevations, with a big thumping for everyone over 1500’ or so.

• Like 2

I wouldn’t focus too much on small areas being shown with BL issues. The models don’t have enough resolution to accurately predict accumulations during quick hitting heavy events like this. I still believe this will be a quick 1-3 on elevated surfaces even in the lower elevations, with a big thumping for everyone over 1500’ or so.

Agree with you. Rates will overcome BL issues

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

Agree with you. Rates will overcome BL issues

I hope so. I just remember the HRRR indicating something like this with a system last year, and it played out that way. But, this storm a whole different beast and I have never seen such an energetic storm since I've been posting on here, so I will go with your alls experience. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

I hope so. I just remember the HRRR indicating something like this with a system last year, and it played out that way. But, this storm a whole different beast and I have never seen such an energetic storm since I've been posting on here, so I will go with your alls experience. 

It's all going to depend on where the deform band setups up when it pivots (12z suite has along and east of I75).

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

I've seen the snow hole you're referring to play out several times before. I'm not 100 percent sure what causes it. It really tends to hit Anderson County. 

4 minutes ago, John1122 said:

I've seen the snow hole you're referring to play out several times before. I'm not 100 percent sure what causes it. It really tends to hit Anderson County. 

I think part of what the models see is some downsloping off of the Frozen Head mts. Makes sense with a NE or NNE wind. 

TLcI2FD.png

• Like 1

Warm air in the valley gets banked up against the plateau? We had a situation several years ago where cold air north and west of Knoxville got trapped up against the plateau in the valley and WAA never won out. I was supposed to get a couple of inches from a front end thump but ended up with 8” because it never changed over.

10 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

Warm air in the valley gets banked up against the plateau? We had a situation several years ago where cold air north and west of Knoxville got trapped up against the plateau in the valley and WAA never won out. I was supposed to get a couple of inches from a front end thump but ended up with 8” because it never changed over.

I'd guess it's more what Holston says. Down sloping off Cross Mountain and Frozenhead when a LP takes a certain angle. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

I think part of what the models see is some downsloping off of the Frozen Head mts. Makes sense with a NE or NNE wind. 

TLcI2FD.png

Agree. There are some subtle hints of sinking air in that area at the lower levels. It’s not very significant, but it could have a slight effect on temperatures in those areas.  Hopefully the overall dynamics of the system will overcome it, but it's hard to ignore when models pick up on it (speaking from experience with my area).

• Like 2

The 15z HRRR was a little deeper at 995mb and was tucked more up against the western tip of South Carolina than the 12z HRRR (996 mb and a little bit east of that).

The trend is our friend as the saying goes. And all models have been trending toward a slower and deeper low tucked up against the mountains.

• Like 2

National Weather Service Nashville TN
1100 AM CST Sun Jan 2 2022

.UPDATE...
FOR MORNING DISCUSSION.

&&

.DISCUSSION...

Closed upper low expected to slide just to our south tonight
still looking to give the mid-state a shot of winter pcpn later
today into the overnight hours. Temps currently falling and mixed
pcpn already showing up min parts of west TN. Will likely see a
slow changeover this afternoon west, become all snow this
evening. Snow amount forecast vary greatly. Several CAMs showing
very high bullseye`s here and there but currently thinking is most
areas west of the Plateau 1-2, 2-3 on the Plateau. These amounts
are likely on grassy, exposed surfaces. Roads quite warm and much
will melt while falling. Elevated surfaces may become slick
tonight, and for the morning commute. Thus upped amounts just
slightly for today, and made small adjustments to pops.
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Hrrr was terrible here last year. I tallied just under 30" for the season. If it had been right, about 10.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Blue Moon said:

Wow! That changeover came in faster than anticipated.

Indeed. The sleet is starting to stick on the porch as I type this. I think if you can score some icy dbz's ahead of the snow changeover, those ground temp issues will be more marginal than initially anticipated. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, *Flash* said:

Indeed. The sleet is sticking decently to the porch as I type this. I think if you can score some icy dbz's ahead of the snow changeover, those ground temp issues will be more marginal than initially anticipated. 

That is a win given it was like 95 yesterday!!!!      Awesome to hear.

• Haha 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic