Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
TIMS model verification, December 31, 2021 - January 3, 2022

Holston_River_Rambler

24 minutes ago, MattPetrulli said:

Feel free to correct if I don't have a good idea, but am curious to see how much of 5-6 inches of snow as modeled by NAM/HRRR would actually stick and accumulate. I'm expecting at most a dusting here in Sevier County. I don't have a great idea of how fast soil temperature falls with snow, etc. Overall, am hoping for a nice little event here and hopefully an appetizer for later this week.

I've found it best to take those clown maps and shave off 40-60 percent for wet snows that aren't falling onto frozen ground. Sometimes you'll get over performance and they'll match up. You can snow board, clean it off and add the measurements up and you'll get closer to the clowns. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John1122 said:

I've found it best to take those clown maps and shave off 40-60 percent for wet snows that aren't falling onto frozen ground. Sometimes you'll get over performance and they'll match up. You can snow board, clean it off and add the measurements up and you'll get closer to the clowns. 

4 minutes ago, John1122 said:

Depth is estimated taking into account compacting, ground temps, etc. 

5 minutes ago, TellicoWx said:

Straight from Pivotals site..each site uses a slightly different algorithm for depth

Screenshot_20220101-211816_Chrome.jpg

Appreciate this, ground temperatures and snow has always been confusing to me, am really hoping for at least a few inches. 

I just want to make sure that y’all know that my soil temp post earlier was in no way meant to suggest that accumulation would be more or less. I saw that some folks on southernwx were bringing soil temps up, so I thought “hmmmm I wonder what those look like here in Morgan county.” I checked it out and saw that they were quite variable depending on the boundary layer and was impressed at how quickly they could lower. 

• Thanks 1

@John1122and @dwagner88both make valid points. Honestly, there's accurate enough algo to determine what will actually stick. If I was forced to make a call (barring a meltdown with the rest of the 0z suite and 6z), I would say 1"-3" for the valley, 2"-4" for the rim of the foothills, and name your number for the mountains. But thats why I don't get paid to make calls too lol.

• Like 1

All good points, I have seen very heavy rates at the onset of a snow storm make short work of warm ground temps, there is a ton of variables.  I was living in Maryland at one point and the temps had held steady in the 60s for a week or so, very heavy snowfall in the period of an hour and it was game over, even with marginal temps (think it was around 30)

This will be an unusual event as far as days leading into the potential snow. About as close as I can remember right off the bat was March into April 1987. Temps were 68-77 for highs from around March 20th to March 31st. It did get cold a couple days before the snow hit. However the day of the snow was 50 for the high. Temps crashed that afternoon and heavy rain changed to heavy snow and 8-12 inches fell in the area. 

I don't know if we will see those dynamics with this system but that was huge silver dollar sized flakes that just ripped down for several hours. It coated the ground quickly. 

We had about 2 or 3 inches in a late April event that was similar as far as heavy rates quickly overcoming ground temps. Rates basically trump all. Especially with a lower sun angle or at night. 

Just now, TellicoWx said:

This image from the 0z RGEM speaks volumes...back that center up 50 miles and those type of returns, would be crazy. (0z RGEM looks good regardless)

prateptype.us_ov.png

With the trends that have been taking place I would almost expect that to be the case

3 minutes ago, TellicoWx said:

Tonight's power snowball numbers (for my town) 8, 8, 7, 6, 8, 9 (inches per each models 0z run)...I will like to cashout with 50% of those please lol

I recently moved to Seymour…I think I see a double digit paint job on recent runs :weenie:. Not getting that but Ill take whatever flakes Mother Nature provides :snowman:

• Like 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic