Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Banter

Rjay

9 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Tulip bulbs?  Now?  

yeah, it was nice outside so why not? I got them through the mail from a catalog and it said to plant them early before the last freeze (it said in the lit that came with them that they like cold weather before they come out.)

I already have daffodil leaves coming up.

I also watch HGTV

https://www.hgtv.com/outdoors/landscaping-and-hardscaping/qa-when-is-it-too-late-to-plant-bulbs

If you miss planting your bulbs at the optimal time, don't wait for spring or next fall. Bulbs aren't like seeds. They won't survive out of the ground indefinitely. Even if you find an unplanted sack of tulips or daffodils in January or February, plant them and take your chances. No matter what, they're better off giving it a fighting chance in the ground or a chilled pot than wasting away in the garage or cupboard. Flower bulbs are survivors by nature's design.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

yeah, it was nice outside so why not? I got them through the mail from a catalog and it said to plant them early before the last freeze (it said in the lit that came with them that they like cold weather before they come out.)

I already have daffodil leaves coming up.

I also watch HGTV

https://www.hgtv.com/outdoors/landscaping-and-hardscaping/qa-when-is-it-too-late-to-plant-bulbs

If you miss planting your bulbs at the optimal time, don't wait for spring or next fall. Bulbs aren't like seeds. They won't survive out of the ground indefinitely. Even if you find an unplanted sack of tulips or daffodils in January or February, plant them and take your chances. No matter what, they're better off giving it a fighting chance in the ground or a chilled pot than wasting away in the garage or cupboard. Flower bulbs are survivors by nature's design.

Ok

• Haha 1

I hate how last summer was terribly rainy and tough for outdoor seasonal businesses and now winter businesses will similarly have a tougher time. Ski areas largely missed December, but then had a great January, but with so many days well up into the 50s over the next few weeks it will be hard to keep a good snow base. Think it might be time to head further north for better seasons. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JustinRP37 said:

I hate how last summer was terribly rainy and tough for outdoor seasonal businesses and now winter businesses will similarly have a tougher time. Ski areas largely missed December, but then had a great January, but with so many days well up into the 50s over the next few weeks it will be hard to keep a good snow base. Think it might be time to head further north for better seasons. 

The same thing is happening with lobster season.....the same waters that were good for lobsters off of Long Island decades ago are now headed north of Maine.

Maine lobsters will be a thing of the past within a few decades.

Interesting little mesoscale vortices coming off the lakes this afternoon.  There is one east of Cleveland and another near the Michigan-Indiana border atm.

https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?parms=IWX-N0Q-1-48-100-usa-rad

Mods feel free to move this if it is too weathery for the banter thread. ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1.6 inches in Central Park as reported by God knows who.

They are back to their old ways in the Park this year, this is the fourth storm of the winter they are continually giving low numbers. From all observations I've seen the number should have been about 2.5.

I don't know why after all these years it still drives me crazy but it does.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

1.6 inches in Central Park as reported by God knows who.

They are back to their old ways in the Park this year, this is the fourth storm of the winter they are continually giving low numbers. From all observations I've seen the number should have been about 2.5.

I don't know why after all these years it still drives me crazy but it does.

There needs to be a protest, there's one for just about everything else, why not this?