Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/ DE Winter 2021-22 OBS Thread

JTA66

7 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Decent burst of snow here about 2 hours ago. Was out with my kids picking out a Christmas Tree and the skies opened up. Pretty cool.

Anyone else notice trees are pushing $100 this year? Gone are the days of $30 Douglas Firs.

I cut branches off a pine in the woods several years ago and bam I had a Christmas tree. 

• Haha 1

OH yea cannot wait when this shows up on the model for more than 3 runs.  The snow weenies will come out hibernation. Talk about click bait and a tease. The GFS model cannot even predict a decent flurry right now. The only believable models is the Euro/NAM combo when the storm is in the 84 hour range. Otherwise time to put this dream storm storm to bed.  The clown maps spit out over 2 ft of snow for us in the LV  Currently , no where in the central and eastern US right now has even more than a foot of natural snow on the ground and they really expect me to  believe this model is actually  even used as "guidance"  in this chaotic weather pattern?  Give me a break. 

For the believers good luck and enjoy you dream storm. When the Euro shows it, then I may take the bait. 

• Weenie 1

Am a bit surprised but probably shouldn't be, that it stayed a bit colder here today than I expected.  The low was 29 and high was 39 but we are closing in on the shortest days of the year... Even with the low dews through the day, am expecting the WAA to start coming soon though.

Currently 36 with a dry dp 25.  Did have a red sunset, so I guess that means something (maybe RedSky smiling at the brief but unexpected white stuff). :lol:

6 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

In our new climate era, someone needs to write a Christmas carol about tornados. 38F

Interestingly enough, we see this sort of thing more in the spring than the fall but it's basically the same sort of dynamics (although for somewhat opposite reasons for those 2 seasons).  I.e., spring has cold ground and warm air influxes and fall has warm ground and cold air influxes.

Mother nature dictates that the temp/pressure must come into equilibrium somehow. ;)

I did see there was a tornado threat in the TN area.

Currently overcast here and 38 with dp continuing to rise and at 32.

33 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Interestingly enough, we see this sort of thing more in the spring than the fall but it's basically the same sort of dynamics (although for somewhat opposite reasons for those 2 seasons).  I.e., spring has cold ground and warm air influxes and fall has warm ground and cold air influxes.

Mother nature dictates that the temp/pressure must come into equilibrium somehow. ;)

I did see there was a tornado threat in the TN area.

Currently overcast here and 38 with dp continuing to rise and at 32.

Maybe a slight risk of tor's in this area tomorrow too depending when the front comes through. Right now looks like timing is poor for that but something to watch with the dynamics in place

...Mid-Atlantic...
   An upper-level trough will move quickly northeastward across the
   lower Great Lakes region on Saturday. At the surface, a cold front
   will move eastward across the central Appalachians during the
   afternoon, with a squall line located ahead of the front. Surface
   dewpoints ahead of the front in the Mid-Atlantic are forecast to be
   in the upper 50s and lower 60s F with instability remaining weak
   (MUCAPE of 200 to 400 J/kg). The stronger part of the upper-level
   system will move northeastward into southern Quebec and this should
   result in a weakening squall line during the early to mid evening.
   An isolated wind-damage threat and potential for brief spinups may
   still be possible if parts of the squall line remain organized.
   However, any severe threat should be conditional and will probably
   be isolated. Will keep the threat level at marginal at this time.

Looks like this warm up will only last through next week. GEFS and EPS both have building heights in the Greenland area around D10 along with a -EPO. While there may be a lag in our sensible weather due to the SE ridge needing to be beaten down, you can see a light at the end of the tunnel. End of the 06z GEFS looks pretty decent. Way better than the shutout look of next week. I was skeptical this pattern would break down this quickly but guidance is showing that to be the case. Hopefully it stays consistent but overall we should be tracking some threats possibly as early as the 20th. 

gfs-ens_z500a_namer_65.png

3 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

Maybe a slight risk of tor's in this area tomorrow too depending when the front comes through. Right now looks like timing is poor for that but something to watch with the dynamics in place

All kinds of stuff could happen with those squall lines.  It will probably depend on how much heating is able to occur before the front arrives. More often than not, I have seen the cool air "bleed in" and stabilize the atmosphere around these parts (MBY at the higher elevations) but when it jumps over the river, all hell can break loose with the down slope. :o

4 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

Looks like this warm up will only last through next week. GEFS and EPS both have building heights in the Greenland area around D10 along with a -EPO. While there may be a lag in our sensible weather due to the SE ridge needing to be beaten down, you can see a light at the end of the tunnel. End of the 06z GEFS looks pretty decent. Way better than the shutout look of next week. I was skeptical this pattern would break down this quickly but guidance is showing that to be the case. Hopefully it stays consistent but overall we should be tracking some threats possibly as early as the 20th. 

Maybe reflecting that the NAO is progged to go neutral or slightly negative in the long term (10 - 14 days).

nao.mrf-12102021.gif

7 minutes ago, Newman said:

Mount Holly on tomorrow:

I do think the overall
environment will be highly favorable for a strongly forced and
organized line of convection (likely a QLCS given the boundary
orientation to the mean flow) along the cold front during the
evening which may be capable of damaging winds and brief, weak
tornadoes.

SPC put the area in a marginal risk for DY2 -

1 hour ago, The Iceman said:

The PNA region looks to stay negative, so we'll definitely need those higher heights in the NAO region and high latitudes to force storms underneath the block. I like the look of the 50/50 region too, you'd build H across SE Canada. I just wonder if 1. Amplification of shortwaves could be obtained in a more zonal pattern and 2. If we'll have any semblance of a southern jet in this Nina regime

12/19-20 may be something to watch for a thump to light rain event. Temps are marginal but with a strong high in quebec, the set up could easily yield a solid thump especially for NW areas but even 95 could see some accumulation with some slight adjustments mainly to the SE ridge. If the front on next thurs/fri can beat it down a bit more than progged, it may be the first real threat of the year. Still in the day 8-9 range so a lot can change obviously but something to keep an eye on.

• Weenie 1

12z GEFS looks better for 12/19 - 12/20 at H5 than the OP imo. Better heights in Greenland plus the trough out west isn't dug as far south. IMO that may be enough to flatten the SE ridge enough to give most of us a thump on that storm. Still 9 days out, but not a bad signal at this range. Will have to see how it evolves this week but it's at least our first real chance at accumulating snow this year even if the most likely scenario is snow to rain.

Tomorrow will see near record high temps for December 11th - so below is a list of record high temperatures for NWS Coop sites across Chester County and the year it occurred
Coatesville - 68 (1897) / West Chester - 67 (1966) / Phoenixville - 66 (1966) / Chaddsford - 65 (1971)/ Glenmoore - 64 (1971) / Honey Brook - 64 (1971) / Devault - 62 (1897)

Week of the 20th has some good potential. Wouldnt be at all surprised to see a larger storm somewhere in the East during that week leading up to Christmas. Southern energy rolling across, active PJ being forced South as the PNA pops briefly and ridging enters the eastern NAO region. 

Euro/GFS family of models all over this threat:

ecmwf_z500a_nhem_11.png

gfs_z500a_nhem_42.png

• Like 2