Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/ DE Winter 2021-22 OBS Thread

JTA66

1 hour ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

LOL that is an interesting thought, although I would think something like that would show up as small blobs of green on the radar. :lol:

These looked almost like those scattered pop-up thunderstorm cells that we see in summer.

Based on this, I think it may be exactly what it was showing.  Geese migration has been extreme the last few days

https://www.weather.gov/abr/nwsdopplerradardetectsgeesemigration

1 minute ago, hazwoper said:

Fantasy range?  Absolutely.  But, man would this be perfect timing.  Based on 500mb, it would have a tough time running too far north, but its a nice signal for the change we need at exactly the right time.

image.png.f205cca0393db149554852c54d0cc19b.png

I remember years ago before coming to this site, when there might have been a signal like that because we ended up with a sleet storm on Christmas Eve and I remember driving my mom to church services for the evening mass. 

6 minutes ago, hazwoper said:

Based on this, I think it may be exactly what it was showing.  Geese migration has been extreme the last few days

https://www.weather.gov/abr/nwsdopplerradardetectsgeesemigration

I've seen radar captures of sudden bird (or even insect) migrations.  But this seemed to also cover a broader area in addition to what was centralized near Mt. Holly.

Was looking again at the radar and a map again and it's possible there was something going on at Joint Base McGuire–Dix–Lakehurst (looks like that is probably what is closest to where that blew up).

13 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

I've seen radar captures of sudden bird (or even insect) migrations.  But this seemed to also cover a broader area in addition to what was centralized near Mt. Holly.

Was looking again at the radar and a map again and it's possible there was something going on at Joint Base McGuire–Dix–Lakehurst (looks like that is probably what is closest to where that blew up).

perhaps, but the timing aligns perfectly with the bidlink data I provided.  Also, the same thing was happening in the mid Atlantic at exactly the same time.

"If it looks like a duck, and sounds like a duck, it must be a duck"

1 hour ago, hazwoper said:

perhaps, but the timing aligns perfectly with the bidlink data I provided.  Also, the same thing was happening in the mid Atlantic at exactly the same time.

"If it looks like a duck, and sounds like a duck, it must be a duck"

It's a shame that I didn't think to pull up my GR2Analyst (on a different laptop) to get a finer resolution from the Level 2 data to see if I could capture that time frame.

Definitely won't rule out a mass exodus of starlings or those damn Canada geese (although if it were them they might have ended up on this side of the river)! :lol:

1 hour ago, hazwoper said:

Fantasy range?  Absolutely.  But, man would this be perfect timing.  Based on 500mb, it would have a tough time running too far north, but its a nice signal for the change we need at exactly the right time.

image.png.f205cca0393db149554852c54d0cc19b.png

No Great Lakes low, something resembling a Miller A—is that map even a meteorological possibility?? :P

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Must admit, the GFS nailed the temps kissing 70 this Saturday like 10+ days ago (preliminary kudos to gfs as there isn't much that should keep us out of the upper 60s at this point Saturday). I made a post in here on that. The comical thing is, if it were single digits forecast for highs, we would verify near 40.

• Weenie 1

2 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Looks like it all but evaporated here although there appears to be a virga band over RedSky. :D

Temp was holding at 35 but just edged up to 36 with dp 26.

Checked the MA forum and aside from the :cliff: there doesn't seem like much more than virga going on down there either.

I have Flurries! With no brined local roads how will travelers make it to their destinations?

1 hour ago, RedSky said:

I have Flurries! With no brined local roads how will travelers make it to their destinations?

So you did see something crystalline fall from the sky that wasn't something like ashes flittering your way from someone's fireplace. :lol:

Meanwhile the sun has busted out here through an eroding deck of high clouds.  Temp is up to 39 and dp is 25.

1 minute ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

So you did see something crystalline fall from the sky that wasn't something like ashes flittering your way from someone's fireplace. :lol:

Meanwhile the sun has busted out here through an eroding deck of high clouds.  Temp is up to 39 and dp is 25.

Absolutely did, for ten minutes it looked like a white Christmas above the green grass..

27 minutes ago, Phil Connors said:

every news station weatherman references degrees above or below "normal", which is the average temperature for the day.

That's not how they do "normal" temperatures.  The climatology to determine what is "normal" is done over a period of many years.  They may report out an "average" temp for the day as a somewhat meaningless stat, but they generally average the daily highs for each season over some period of years, and then do the same for the lows, and with that in hand, can come up with what might be considered typical ("normal" ).

Similarly, USDA had been calculating their hardiness zones by averaging the lowest min winter temperature for each year over a period of from 15 - 30 years for different regions of the country and will then assign hardiness zones based on that to give gardeners some idea for what types of plants (trees, shrubs, etc) can be grown in different areas and have a good chance to survive the lowest temps (the zones designated on a 10 degree scale).

8 minutes ago, hazwoper said:

Was just some light snow here about 20 mins ago.  Nice surprise 

Looks like upper Bucks got under something.  Grabbed a snapshot of a heavier band not far from you...  RedSky should be under some good stuff.

It's too warm here (am at 37, although the dp is now up to 29).

radar21a-12082021.png

27 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Looks like upper Bucks got under something.  Grabbed a snapshot of a heavier band not far from you...  RedSky should be under some good stuff.

It's too warm here (am at 37, although the dp is now up to 29).

radar21a-12082021.png

You should get some as well.  It’s 37 and snowing where I am currently in Warminster.  Where the hell is Ralph?

4 minutes ago, hazwoper said:

You should get some as well.  It’s 37 and snowing where I am currently in Warminster.  Where the hell is Ralph?

You guys made me get up and check and there be white pancakes coming from the sky! :D  Temp at 37 but dp is up to 30 so the atmosphere has moistened enough to kill the virga.

radar25-12082021.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hazwoper said:

How do I upload a video from phone when it keeps telling me it’s too large?

You  may have to host it somewhere and link to it or find a way to shrink/compress the size (maybe get it down to a lower resolution or edit it to run for a shorter amount of time).  I know the different subscriptions here offer different file sizes permitted for each upload.