Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/ DE Winter 2021-22 OBS Thread

JTA66

6 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

Even if this only pans out somewhat this upcoming week would have been a good Christmas - New Year weather pattern. I'm leaving my outside lights up for several more weeks regardless but I know people follow a strict unwritten rule New Years night is the last night for outside lights. Probably see people taking them down tomorrow because of the warm weather....

light rain/52F

Tradition for me growing up was to turn on the Mummers on New Year's Day and start dismantling Christmas - all stuff down and packed away on New Year's Day (which is what I did here yesterday although the rain postponed the parade until today... but the lights and wreaths were taken in very early before the rains started up).  I kept some "seasonal" artificial plants around the house though.

When I checked in here and saw there were 33 replies, I figured something was up and some legit threat had apparently been spotted.  I could actually hear the Ji fireworks going off up here.  :lmao:

Regardless, I ended up with 1.02" of rain for yesterday's total and have an additional 0.11" in the bucket this morning (total 1.13 for the 2-day event so far).  Looks like the precip. is pretty much done for now though.

Currently misty and 52 with dp 52.

15 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Tradition for me growing up was to turn on the Mummers on New Year's Day and start dismantling Christmas - all stuff down and packed away on New Year's Day (which is what I did here yesterday although the rain postponed the parade until today... but the lights and wreaths were taken in very early before the rains started up).  I kept some "seasonal" artificial plants around the house though.

When I checked in here and saw there were 33 replies, I figured something was up and some legit threat had apparently been spotted.  I could actually hear the Ji fireworks going off up here.  :lmao:

Regardless, I ended up with 1.02" of rain for yesterday's total and have an additional 0.11" in the bucket this morning (total 1.13 for the 2-day event so far).  Looks like the precip. is pretty much done for now though.

Currently misty and 52 with dp 52.

That's exactly how it was during my youth. Once I moved out I leave everything up longer than New Years. As far as the mummers I had relatives in "The Polish American String Band" and we would look for them on TV when they performed. We usually saw them.. 

52F/Cloudy

10 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

GFS and NAM stopped the N and W shift. Clearly a S Jersey shore special. Good luck!

Yes. I’d have to look into it more but it seems rare when the NJ beaches score and us NW peeps do too. I recall too many times when the AC boardwalk got buried and all I’m looking at is cirrus.

Welp, if I can’t score, I sure hope this is a nice event for the NJ and DE posters!

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

Yes. I’d have to look into it more but it seems rare when the NJ beaches score and us NW peeps do too. I recall to many times when the AC boardwalk got buried and all I’m looking at is cirrus.

Welp, if I can’t score, I sure hope this is a nice event for the NJ and DE posters!

This reminds me of Jan 1987, seashore special. Heavy strip central/southern de across lewes and the Del Bay into Cape May and S Jersey thru ACY. Smoking cirrus up here is very likely. 

1 minute ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

This reminds me of Jan 1987, seashore special. Heavy strip central/southern de across lewes and the Del Bay into Cape May and S Jersey thru ACY. Smoking cirrus up here is very likely. 

Wouldn’t throw in towel yet.  My Holly stating it is the highest uncertainty forecast in recent memory 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, hazwoper said:

Wouldn’t throw in towel yet.  My Holly stating it is the highest uncertainty forecast in recent memory 

No towel throwing. Was never sold on much accums up this way. Gung ho on the areas I mentioned tho and feel good about that call right now. Mood flakes to 2" up this way. Up to a 10" stripe across S NJ, Central and S DE. Hrrr also stopped the NW bump fwiw so thats 3 of 4 at 12z to halt N tick so far.

• Like 1

Seems like the trend NW hasn't necessarily continued on the 12z stuff in so far, but rather the trend W continues (things are slower) while the advancement north has stopped as it feels a bit flatter. If you consider only the heavy swath of the 12z GFS's precip shield to be "real" then it lines up fairly closely with the 12z NAM -- given the dry air coming in, this has the feeling of full on haves vs. have-nots when it comes to getting in on the goods.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

6 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Seems like the trend NW hasn't necessarily continued on the 12z stuff in so far, but rather the trend W continues (things are slower) while the advancement north has stopped as it feels a bit flatter. If you consider only the heavy swath of the 12z GFS's precip shield to be "real" then it lines up fairly closely with the 12z NAM -- given the dry air coming in, this has the feeling of full on haves vs. have-nots when it comes to getting in on the goods.

GFS is NW of 06Z