Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/ DE Winter 2021-22 OBS Thread

JTA66

9 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

I noticed my snowdrops have sent up a couple inches of leaves (they aren't normally making an attempt until maybe during a February thaw or the end of February). :lol:

I had been looking at NOAA's NCEI 30-year "norms" update data introduced this past May here - https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/news/noaa-delivers-new-us-climate-normals where you can start digging into the data from here - https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/products/land-based-station/us-climate-normals and there is a "quick access" link here - https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/access/us-climate-normals/

There are a bunch of stations in the dataset but for those that (I am guessing) have data back at least 30 years, for Chesco for example, Honey Brook's 30-year is this - https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/access/us-climate-normals/#dataset=normals-annualseasonal&timeframe=30&location=PA&station=USC00364047

Just something to throw out there (I know there are many data sources around).

Mt. Holly joined in on the (almost) dismissal of that but haven't made it a "zero chance" yet in this morning's AFD. :lol:

So far I have 0.24" in the bucket this morning and it's currently overcast with some stratus and mist and 43 with dp the same.

While not 30 year norms always interesting to watch the cyclical patterns and smoothing that occurs when simply comparing decades....see the Chester County Snowfall history by decade since the 1890's belowimage.thumb.png.322c54e918efe2e171e53e97b2254345.png

22 minutes ago, ChescoWx said:

While not 30 year norms always interesting to watch the cyclical patterns and smoothing that occurs when simply comparing decades....see the Chester County Snowfall history by decade since the 1890's belowimage.thumb.png.322c54e918efe2e171e53e97b2254345.png

What might start to impact the cycles is all the development that has gone on in Chester County over the past 30 years as farmers have sold land to developers and people have shifted to "exburbia" again (and by "again", it had been a "thing" but then recently started reversing before the pandemic as the Millennials started moving into lofts and whatnot in the urban areas). But the pandemic (and work from home options) apparently triggered a return to the less dense but soon-to-be-more-dense parts of the state including Chesco).

‘A Perfect Storm’ Sparks an Explosion of Residential Development in Chester County

014-Kimberly-McGuane_Vista-Today-R1-240x240.png
By Kimberly McGuane
Published: 4:06 am EST December 5, 2020Updated: 5:01 am EST December 5, 2020
Image-via-Monica-Herndon-Philadelphia-In
Image via Monica Herndon, Philadelphia Inquirer.

Despite the pandemic, Chester County continues to experience a construction boom as interest in new developments surpasses all expectations, writes Frank Fitzpatrick for The Philadelphia Inquirer.

Lochiel Farm, a townhouse development near Exton Mall, had five times more applicants than homes after potential buyers were asked to view the models last year.

“They had like 700 people lined up for 142 units,” said John Weller, West Whiteland Township’s director of planning and zoning. “And it’s not just there. It’s been crazy at all these new developments.”

Residential development is exploding throughout the entire county, and West Whiteland is the best example of this. The township has benefited from the perfect combination of low-interest rates, zoning changes, improvements to SEPTA’s Exton rail station, easy access to the Pennsylvania Turnpike, the addition of new parks and trails, and an influx of retail and restaurants.

“All those things created a perfect storm for us,” said Weller.

<snip>

https://vista.today/2020/12/a-perfect-storm-sparks-an-explosion-of-residential-development-in-chester-county/

It took awhile but once they got rid of the (traditional) office tower height restrictions in downtown Philly in the 1980s and many dozens of buildings were constructed that far surpassed the height of the William Penn statue atop City Hall tower, we still haven't had a below 0 temp registered at KPHL since 1994.  This doesn't mean some strong PV lobe will never ooze down far enough to break that record run, but it's now been 27 years.

I made it up to 53 as a high (after a 43 low) and even had some sun this afternoon.  But the air has still been relatively juicy with current temp 48 and dp 47.

• Like 1

With today and tomorrow both exceeding 50 degrees we will end the month with 12 days at 50+ here in Chester County PA

This will only be good for the 18th most 50+ days in December since 1894

The Top 10 years with 50+ days are below:

2015 (19) / 1982 (16) / 1990 (16)/ 1899 (15) / 2001 (15) / 1895 (13) / 1913 (13) / 1948 (13) / 1956 (13)

Really can't believe we'll be in the 50s approaching 60 as we ring in the new year (midnight)....Dick Clark's rolling over in his grave.

48F

Not busting on Dick but he totally missed 13, then 10 to 11 during the countdown. Dude did the best he could considering his health. I saw it live and thought I was screwed up, low and behold, Dick was messing with me. Quite funny and probably his best countdown...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SHpL599IZg

Not to pile on but I read Paul Pastelok’s blog from AccuWx this morning -- he's going with +2 to +3 in January for our area. The weenie in me says it can still snow, we just need to time moisture with a cold shot. The realist in me says we don't do timing well.

In other news, it's a balmy 49F :sun: 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

Not to pile on but I read Paul Pastelok’s blog from AccuWx this morning -- he's going with +2 to +3 in January for our area. The weenie in me says it can still snow, we just need to time moisture with a cold shot. The realist in me says we don't do timing well.

In other news, it's a balmy 49F :sun: 

How do you have sun? But it's good to know it still is up there.

Cloudy, gloomy 49F here, perfect halloween weather. In other news, the high for the Winter Classic in Minn tomorrow will be -3 and will fall during the game to a low of -15. We'll get a 1-2 day cold shot (30s) Mon/Tues then crank right back to 50 Wed. We can't sustain any sort of cold temps around here so snow is out of the question....

11 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Cloudy, gloomy 49F here, perfect halloween weather. In other news, the high for the Winter Classic in Minn tomorrow will be -3 and will fall during the game to a low of -15. We'll get a 1-2 day cold shot (30s) Mon/Tues then crank right back to 50 Wed. We can't sustain any sort of cold temps around here so snow is out of the question....

The subtropical beaches of Maryland, Virginia and southern Delaware are gonna need a shovel :lol:

Charlie brown DC crew needs a chiropractor after the ECM run

1 hour ago, JTA66 said:

The sun is wishful thinking. If it were out, it would be in the 60’s and I’d be mowing the lawn like Kamu suggested.

My wife's been hinting that our lawn is the longest in the neighborhood (was cut last just before Thanksgiving) but thus far I have refused to accept reality. How's that Adam Savage quote go? "I reject your reality and substitute my own" or something to that affect.

Anyway, grey and 50°F beats 70 and sunny any day in my book, so at least there's that. Still not mowing the lawn though. 

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, CoolHandMike said:

My wife's been hinting that our lawn is the longest in the neighborhood (was cut last just before Thanksgiving) but thus far I have refused to accept reality. How's that Adam Savage quote go? "I reject your reality and substitute my own" or something to that affect.

Anyway, grey and 50°F beats 70 and sunny any day in my book, so at least there's that. Still not mowing the lawn though. 

Agree there....had the outside Christmas lights on all day because it's so cloudy/dark it's almost night.

49F/Cloudy

8 hours ago, CoolHandMike said:

Pro tip (lol) - cut it to 2" height for the last mow. That way 3" of snow will cover it up real nice, and you won't have dark grass blades sticking up through it acting as little heat antennae (when the sun hits it). That's the concept anyway.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, KamuSnow said:

Pro tip (lol) - cut it to 2" height for the last mow. That way 3" of snow will cover it up real nice, and you won't have dark grass blades sticking up through it acting as little heat antennae (when the sun hits it). That's the concept anyway.

Only weenies, including myself, would understand along w/making snow mounds and a bright ass perfectly position snow light....

48F

1 hour ago, Birds~69 said:

Only weenies, including myself, would understand along w/making snow mounds and a bright ass perfectly position snow light....

48F

Might still do if it needs it. Looks pretty dormant but with everything else still growing outside I may just bite the bullet and mow it this Sunday or Monday (if it's dry enough). Weird times. Saw actual snow in the desert (Mojave) before seeing snow at home. Last Feb's monster storms are giving me hope there is still something for us in this new year though. Here's hoping for a wondrous and snowy bottom end of 2022 everybody!

• Like 1