Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/ DE Winter 2021-22 OBS Thread

JTA66

2 minutes ago, dseagull said:

Incredibly interesting to watch most models, besides the GFS make a 180 from suppression to Rain for I95 east, in just 12 hours.  Kind of raises some red flags.  When will the energy from the S/W be over land and sampled?  Tomorrow night?

Ha! You read my mind but I wasn't going to say it cause I didn't want to come across as being a Deb. But yeah, quite a dramatic shift in 12 hours. But it's across most of the guidance in some form or another, not just one model suite, so I'm not sure what to make of it. Just going to enjoy it for now.

This morning was brutal. However I was only mildly uncomfortable thanks to many layers (fleece thermals ftw!), but I still need to figure out something to warm my feet up. Thankfully the site I'm working at put in place a work cycle (similar to what we do in extreme heat) so I spent about half the time outside and half the time warming up in my car. This afternoon was more bearable at least.

We got to a low of 14.7°F at my house this morning, and the dusting of snow was a nice little surprise.

• Weenie 1

I am fairly comfortable calling this a non-event for people east of PHL. A couple of shifts could result in mixed precip but I am comfortable making the call now. It will be more interesting N&W but it is looking to be a slop fest at this point. I find this stuff so intriguing though. I am so invested in places like GA and SC getting snow because it's less common and at a high level, it almost sounds unbelievable that it could snow in GA and rain in NJ. It's truly amazing stuff and I am OK not having to stare at snow pack for 3 weeks. I'll for sure be checking in on this one but it looks like a fascinating southern special - the weather channel will definitely be on my TV all day that day.

Blessings all!

-RSC

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

18 minutes ago, Rockem_sockem_connection said:

I am fairly comfortable calling this a non-event for people east of PHL. A couple of shifts could result in mixed precip but I am comfortable making the call now. It will be more interesting N&W but it is looking to be a slop fest at this point. I find this stuff so intriguing though. I am so invested in places like GA and SC getting snow because it's less common and at a high level, it almost sounds unbelievable that it could snow in GA and rain in NJ. It's truly amazing stuff and I am OK not having to stare at snow pack for 3 weeks. I'll for sure be checking in on this one but it looks like a fascinating southern special - the weather channel will definitely be on my TV all day that day.

Blessings all!

-RSC

Meme Creator - Funny THANKS FOR THAT BUZZ KILLINGTON Meme Generator at  MemeCreator.org!

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Rockem_sockem_connection said:

Blessings all!

-RSC

From an accumulating snow perspective I agree.  Think wind potential is serious and depending on the details of our likely coastal plain track can’t rule out thunder or locally heavy rain though….but if snow is someone’s entire game at and around PHL I’d definitely hit the expectations reset button once the 12z suite is in.

1 hour ago, kickingupastorm said:

Going forward, woild it be possible to post the model run maps? It makes it easier for this noob and lurker to visually understand. Cheers.  :)

What often happens here is that if there is a real legitimate threat, this place gets crazy busy and the model maps from all kinds of sources will get posted continually.  Otherwise the "dud" runs get tucked away and you can hear a pin drop. :lol:

Just looking at the 6z GFS verbatim, it shows a very active pattern of all kinds of little storms rolling across the U.S. that either go over us or north/south of us.  A couple are clippers and there looks like what is something rolling along the southern jetstream that goes out to sea at the same time as one of those clipper passes near us.  The last one on the far end of the GFS range looks almost like a summer time thing with a low that forms off the coast of the Carolinas and becomes some kind of nor'easter way east of here.

So taking a crack at it with the below clips taken from the 6z GFS what I "see" -

1 - Great lakes thingy jumps to the coast and out to sea (~Jan 13/14)

2 - The storm we had been focusing on for the Jan 17 time frame since its appearance in the long range... but it has now shifted to possibly end up as an inland runner or coastal hugger (at least on the last couple GFS runs) <-- whatever it does, it looks solid as some kind of event with precipitation but not sure what type

3 - Alberta clipper #1 (~Jan 20)

4 - Alberta clipper #2 + some southern jetstream system staying south parallel with the clipper (not phased) (~Jan 23 - 25)

5 - Some storm that forms off the Carolinas and goes out to sea (~Jan 26)

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_fh24-72-greatlakes-out-to-sea-01122022.gif

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_fh72-156-storm-dives-down-and-then-runs-inland-jan17-01122022.gif

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_fh144-198-alberta-clipper1-jan20-01122022.gif

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_fh144-198-alberta-clipper2-and-southern-jet-storm-jan23-jan25-01122022.gif

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_fh318-348-like-summertime-storm-forms-off-southern-midatlantic-and-out-to-sea-jan26-01122022.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, Mikeymac5306 said:

Is it safe to say wait till the 18z Thursday before locking in? 

On the other hand, it feels like mid March out there today compared to yesterday. 

I wouldn't even trust the 18z (at least the for Jan. 17 storm that has continually popped up on all the models) but start paying attention to the Friday runs.  I have seen too many mid-range schizophrenic solutions. :huh:

Temp here has shot up to 38 with dp 23.  Still have some patches of snow here and there.  Some clouds have also appeared, so it is partly sunny.

Two bad trends 1) the main shortwave slowed which allowed the arctic high to retreat just enough  2) stronger northern shortwave assists pulling it north. You win some and you lose most that's why we don't average 80" snow.

I better not finish with 3.2" snow in a January that is seven degrees below normal.. yeah not happening

• Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Pittsburgh special!

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_fh72-150-jan17-storm-12z-01122022.gif

Such a strange track, that I'm having a hard time believing the evolution of this system.  I'd welcome the windshield wiper effect at this point.   Do we end up with an inland Appalachian solution?  Lots to reflect on with hard 180 model sways. Should be fun.  

• Weenie 1

Hit 8.6 overnight, which was shortly after midnight. I was hoping to beat last years low of 7.6, but thanks to a slight breeze that developed my temperature shot up and remained in the low-mid teens the rest of the night. Shortly before midnight I did hit 8.5, which is now the seasonal/yearly low. Snowcover is thin, but patchy. Not far south of here there is nothing left.

16 minutes ago, RedSky said:

12z ECM end result delivers 5-10" in the N&W burbs to a foot in the Lehigh Valley. Big time first half thump then dryslot. I'll take. 

I'll sign up for that. Reminds me of those 70's storms where we'd get a front end thump, then flip to rain. Anything that survived froze like a rock as the arctic air poured in on the backside.

37 minutes ago, dseagull said:

Such a strange track, that I'm having a hard time believing the evolution of this system.  I'd welcome the windshield wiper effect at this point.   Do we end up with an inland Appalachian solution?  Lots to reflect on with hard 180 model sways. Should be fun.  

CMC isn't as far west as the GFS but has the same near-Apps runner concept.  Euro appears to be showing the same although looks further east than the others.  Could be still seeing mid-range noise.  I don't think this will settle down until we get a little closer.

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_fh30-144-jan17-12z-01122022.gif

floop-ecmwf_full-2022011212.sfcwind_mslp.conus-jan17-storm-12z-01122022.gif

• Thanks 1