Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/ DE Winter 2021-22 OBS Thread

JTA66

6 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

It's like blizzarding for 24 hours. :o  Classic juicy Miller A from the GOM and up the coast.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_fh252-294-jan19-20-animated-01082022.gif

Haven't had a great winter here since the 09-10 record breaker.  Off to a good start so far.   Maybe this is the one.  300 hours out.   Go GFS!   

20 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

I'm trying to remember but I think way back, one of the mods here had Heat Miser (maybe Rib?).

:lol:

I don't know. I've been here so long (Wright Weather, Eastern, and now American) that I don't remember who my fellow warmanistas are/were.

30 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

What I could never understand was Santa was tired and wanted to take Christmas off. HE WORKS ONE FRIGGIN’ DAY A YEAR!!

He has to "manage" the elves who are making all the toys all year and then train all the up and coming "Rudolphs" so they can light the way for the next generation. :lol:

As a quick obs - The high just tapped 30 here (low was 19) and then dropped down to ~23 late this afternoon but is now on the rise again and is currently 25.  The dp had dropped down to as low as 9 but has actually gone up and is now 16. There have been a few puffs of breeze but otherwise, with a clear sky, fresh snowpack, and not much wind, will see how it responds overnight or continues the non-diurnal rise.

2 hours ago, Voyager said:

I don't know. I've been here so long (Wright Weather, Eastern, and now American) that I don't remember who my fellow warmanistas are/were.

I don’t think we’ve had many warmagistas in the Philly forums. The NYC forum has a few.

I remember asking you years ago about it and you responded that being a truck driver you don’t care for snow.

I get it…stay safe!

12 minutes ago, RedSky said:

12z ECM today has people :o on the edge of their seat 

I hope that by end of January we aren't scratching our heads telling one another that we probably shouldn't have been in such a hurry to kick the early January pattern to the curb. Careful what we wish for....greed can be a dangerous and regretful thing.

1 minute ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

I hope that by end of January we aren't scratching our heads telling one another that we probably shouldn't have been in such a hurry to kick the early January pattern to the curb. Careful what we wish for....greed can be a dangerous and regretful thing.

I hope your not buying the long range suppressed digital storms as gospel, something is going to hit hard in a pattern like that it's a dream run 

9 minutes ago, RedSky said:

I hope your not buying the long range suppressed digital storms as gospel, something is going to hit hard in a pattern like that it's a dream run 

Not at all discouraged. I feel good that we can score at least once over the next 3 weeks. Im saying let's hope we aren't looking back in 3 weeks saying damn, the early Jan so-so pattern produced but the epic unicorn pattern just teased us. That would be a true kick in the junk. Still looking hard at the period centered around the 17th.....I haven't changed on that in 10 days lol. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RedSky said:

Today's above freezing temperatures and rain did not melt away the 3" high ratio snow, any other month it would be toast but holding on to half of it 

You are lucky. My 4.2 inches of fluffy snow has vanished today, with just some piles left from plowing and shoveling. It got into the low 40’s today and a lovely rain is ongoing. ☹️

9 minutes ago, MGorse said:

You are lucky. My 4.2 inches of fluffy snow has vanished today, with just some piles left from plowing and shoveling. It got into the low 40’s today and a lovely rain is ongoing. ☹️

Got to 39F here and that with the rain was enough to erase about 70% of the snow cover here, especially the "heavier" rain over the last 3 hours or so.  Should be some left though.

4 minutes ago, MGorse said:

Good rare setup here for one of those old Radio Flyer rail sleds which are built for an ice base. 

10 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Today's above freezing temperatures and rain did not melt away the 3" high ratio snow, any other month it would be toast but holding on to half of it 

35F rain is over and cold is coming

I just looked out and my 4.5" is all but disintegrated except for some shoveled mounds and patches here and there in open grassy areas.  Temp is STILL going up and I am now at 40 (low was at midnight @25).   Still getting some light rain although the back edge of that is getting close.

1 minute ago, RedSky said:

Good rare setup here for one of those old Radio Flyer rail sleds which are built for an ice base. 

Ahh yes... And those times were very rare.  We were a couple doors down from a lightly trafficked residential 1-way intersecting street that was on a hill and was perfect for the Radio Flyers when there were those rare times the street had a glacial ice base under some newly fallen snow.  The only drawback was if there were huge plowed mounds at the bottom from the plow trucks that you slammed into if you didn't leap off in time. :o:yikes::lol:

12 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Ahh yes... And those times were very rare.  We were a couple doors down from a lightly trafficked residential 1-way intersecting street that was on a hill and was perfect for the Radio Flyers when there were those rare times the street had a glacial ice base under some newly fallen snow.  The only drawback was if there were huge plowed mounds at the bottom from the plow trucks that you slammed into if you didn't leap off in time. :o:yikes::lol:

Tubes are superior yes but the rail runners are like taking out the classic Dodge Challenger hemi from the garage.

* Color me impressed with the 464" snow! Tsunan Japan is the place to be to measure in feet 

12 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Tubes are superior yes but the rail runners are like taking out the classic Dodge Challenger hemi from the garage.

* Color me impressed with the 464" snow! Tsunan Japan is the place to be to measure in feet 

My rail runner actually had a fuel, speedometer, RPM and something else engraved/painted into the part you use to steer (kinda like a dashboard) so your Challenger analogy is appropriate...

37F/Cloudy

1 hour ago, RedSky said:

When you are sledding on an ice-rutted street with potholes, the rails are the best way to do it because they won't get shredded like a tube. Tubes would be good on steep grassy slopes that are packed with snow or are useful going down piles of steps (they do that down at the Art Museum on those front entrance "Rocky steps").

Still there's nothing like an old-fashioned wooden sled with a rope to hang onto and (try to) steer the thing with. :lol:

• Like 1

Temps and dps have slowly dropped overnight and I finally went below 32 not along after 4 am. Ended up with a final high of 40 after 8:15 last night). About 95% of the snowpack is gone save for a few patches here and there (particularly in the north-facing areas) and from some depleted mounds of plowed snow.

Currently clear and 31 with dp down to 16.

Hovering at 32.8 on Barnegat Bay.  Front yard still has a sad layer of 1-2 inches, but this was the snow pack that just couldn't hold on.  If you have a crazy hunting dog, the snow is a wonderful thing if you want a clean dog and house. If you have mud instead of snow, life is miserable trying to keep things clean.

Bring the freeze on!