Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/ DE Winter 2021-22 OBS Thread

JTA66

16 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Looks like I bottomed out at 12 but my dp has continued to go down (so far the lowest was -7).  Currently mostly sunny and "up to" 14 with dp -6.  Time to boil some sweet potatoes (or something) because the humidifiers are no match!

desert1.gif

I like being able to wash jeans and line dry them in 30 minutes—as opposed to the two weeks it takes in summer.

13F/DP -7F 

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, MJO812 said:

Blame the upper level low digging in the back of the coastal low.

Nah, blame the people in western PA and upstate NY wanting to see what all the excitement about Nor'easters was about. Although I suppose it's technically not a nor'easter with the inland track, but same effect for them.

23 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Nah, blame the people in western PA and upstate NY wanting to see what all the excitement about Nor'easters was about. Although I suppose it's technically not a nor'easter with the inland track, but same effect for them.

I'm getting to the point where I enjoy Fall more so than Winter.

Fall guarantees:

-Colder/less humid coming off Summer

-Bugs/Gnats die...but more mellow crickets/windows cracked to fall asleep

-Shorter days

-Firepit season

-Leaves change colors

-Less Allergies

-Possible Hurricane/Tropical storm slams us  

Winter Guarantees: (for the most part)

-Getting screwed...follow models for 5 days and end up with squat/waste time

-Blow torch at some point 

-Snowless Christmas/holiday season

-Pingers then rain

-Weenies come out in full force

-Days start to get longer

16F

• Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

I'm getting to the point where I enjoy Fall more so than Winter.

Fall guarantees:

-Colder/less humid coming off Summer

-Bugs/Gnats die...but more mellow crickets/windows cracked to fall asleep

-Shorter days

-Firepit season

-Leaves change colors

-Less Allergies

-Possible Hurricane/Tropical storm slams us  

Winter Guarantees: (for the most part)

-Getting screwed...follow models for 5 days and end up with squat/waste time

-Blow torch at some point 

-Snowless Christmas/holiday season

-Pingers then rain

-Weenies come out in full force

-Days start to get longer

16F

Lol. But yeah. I still like winter as long as there's snow here and there to break up the monotony of brown, gray and drab, otherwise it's a long time between fall and spring, which is my favorite. Snow is my favorite weather event, the more the better but it's all enjoyable.

Speaking of firepit season, skipped the Friday night session due to cold wind, but we got a few in over the last week or two.

6 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Lol. But yeah. I still like winter as long as there's snow here and there to break up the monotony of brown, gray and drab, otherwise it's a long time between fall and spring, which is my favorite. Snow is my favorite weather event, the more the better but it's all enjoyable.

Speaking of firepit season, skipped the Friday night session due to cold wind, but we got a few in over the last week or two.

No crickets (critters) in the winter which sucks and what makes firepits in the Fall better. I still BBQ in the winter which I plan on doing tomorrow...

16F / DP -6....everything I touch I get zapped.

Fall is my favorite for all the reasons Birds listed above. Plus you can convince yourself a good winter is on the way regardless of all the long range outlooks.

I'll rank winter #2, but mainly because of snow. I really don't care for cold, I just tolerate it because it's an ingredient for snow.

Kind of a toss up for #3, but I'll say summer even though it features my least favorite weather. But in the back of my mind, I know fall is the next season.

I used to love spring as a kid. Probably because more daylight meant I could stay out later to play and the last day of school was on the horizon. But it seems our springs today are cold and wet (mud season). And it means I have to get my lazy butt back outside to do yard work. Oh yeah, and 4 months of hazy, hot and humid weather are on the way. 

1 hour ago, JTA66 said:

I like being able to wash jeans and line dry them in 30 minutes—as opposed to the two weeks it takes in summer.

13F/DP -7F 

Mine go in the dryer! :P  But then I wear sweats most of the time anyway.

I have a humidifier in my bedroom that I haven't really needed to turn on since I have one of those "bigger" ones on the first floor near a wide central air intake that flows past the bedroom but my bedroom is registering 26% humidity and that is a no-go (the first floor had dropped down to 29%). :huh:  Luckily my floors are wood laminate and the only "wall to wall" carpet is on the steps to the 2nd floor (and basement).  Otherwise I would be showing up on a radar as convection! :lol:

I'm now up to 17 but that dp has settled in the -7 range pretty consistently now. 

7 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

Fall is my favorite for all the reasons Birds listed above. Plus you can convince yourself a good winter is on the way regardless of all the long range outlooks.

I'll rank winter #2, but mainly because of snow. I really don't care for cold, I just tolerate it because it's an ingredient for snow.

Kind of a toss up for #3, but I'll say summer even though it features my least favorite weather. But in the back of my mind, I know fall is the next season.

I used to love spring as a kid. Probably because more daylight meant I could stay out later to play and the last day of school was on the horizon. But it seems our springs today are cold and wet (mud season). And it means I have to get my lazy butt back outside to do yard work. Oh yeah, and 4 months of hazy, hot and humid weather are on the way. 

I have a theory based on anecdotal evidence over the years that people who prefer fall over spring were born in fall/winter, while people who prefer spring were born in spring/summer. Exceptions to every rule of course, and I do enjoy all the seasons. Except not a fan of hot and humid, and snowless winters.

Also, tomorrow's weather is a depressing concept for snow lovers.

• Weenie 1

6 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

I have a theory based on anecdotal evidence over the years that people who prefer fall over spring were born in fall/winter, while people who prefer spring were born in spring/summer. Exceptions to every rule of course, and I do enjoy all the seasons. Except not a fan of hot and humid, and snowless winters.

Interesting because my bday is September. Of course that meant some of my gifts were back-to-school items. “Oh wow, a protractor…awesome!!”

31 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

They were discussing this theory the other day  on Fox 29 morning news. Makes sense to me....born in late October.

1 minute ago, Birds~69 said:

This were discussing this theory the other day  on Fox 29 morning news. Makes sense to me....born in late October.

There ya go, lol. Here's another one - people who like hot and humid usually have a pool or a boat. I have neither, but even if I did I still can't imagine liking hot and humid. I've always enjoyed being physically active outside, even just being outside, and hot and humid makes it not as enjoyable.

16 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

Interesting because my bday is September. Of course that meant some of my gifts were back-to-school items. “Oh wow, a protractor…awesome!!”

Lol. Did you get one of these with it? I learned CAD in the early 90's so haven't used those tools for a while but they do come in handy when you need them. One downside of computers is that my handwriting isn't what it used to be, haha.

Screenshot_20220115-112216_copy_1132x1806_copy_367x586.png.2b79068158266993cd747726b9eb11db.png

1 minute ago, KamuSnow said:

Lol. Did you get one of these with it? I learned CAD in the early 90's so haven't used those tools for a while but they do come in handy when you need them. One downside of computers is that my handwriting isn't what it used to be, haha.

Screenshot_20220115-112216_copy_1132x1806_copy_367x586.png.2b79068158266993cd747726b9eb11db.png

No kidding! I recently had a conversation with someone about that. I write so slow now because I actually have to think about making the letters.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

So true. My handwriting was chicken scratch before computers...now it's almost flat out illegible. 

31 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Long range Canadian has historic snows for the Carolina's then a Miller B NYC north

I'll become a hermit in a Pennsylvania cave

Good! I never got the chance to say it on Tuesday because our snow chances went down the drain so fast, but (and say it with me)…

Hate being in the bullseye a week out.

• Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

Good! I never got the chance to say it on Tuesday because our snow chances went down the drain so fast, but (and say it with me)…

Hate being in the bullseye a week out.

Good point Monday mornings warm wind started out as a historic Carolinas HECS a week ago. Then it was a 700 mile off the coast complete miss..then..long range guidance is a joke

1 hour ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

GFS thinks similar wrt our area. He is the GFS rendition of snowfall thru the remainder of the month. Keep in mind most of that in E PA is from tomorrow's slop fest. Just ugly. Thankfully it's the op so there's that:

For longer ranges I always rely on the Ensemble runs.....likely the European mean run from 12z is more realistic - keeping in mind some pretty solid cold for the remainder of the month...in my humble view

image.thumb.png.fa5e1bcd49de69387091a8f2807ef69d.png

I actually made it up to 22 as a high today and I just saw this cool tweet from Mt. Holly -

I was looking at a graph of my barometric pressure from my Ambient and there is a little ripple appearing on the plot (attached snapshot of my weewx plot taken at 4:10 pm EST).

Otherwise it's currently mostly cloudy and 20 with dp -4 (and yes, I had to pull out the humidifier in the bedroom and it's on - humidity there has risen now from 25% to 35%, which is much better.  My front bedroom is 20% and the basement is 12% :huh: (I do have stuff overwintering down there under T5 lights and different spectrums of LEDs but gotta get back to that - I have a portable humidifier down there too if necessary but haven't needed to use it in a few years).

barometric-pressure-plot-weewx-410pm-showing-possible-shockwave-ripple-at-around-10am-annotated-01152022.png

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

I actually made it up to 22 as a high today and I just saw this cool tweet from Mt. Holly -

I was looking at a graph of my barometric pressure from my Ambient and there is a little ripple appearing on the plot (attached snapshot of my weewx plot take at 4:10 pm EST).

Otherwise it's currently mostly cloudy and 20 with dp -4 (and yes, I had to pull out the humidifier in the bedroom and it's on - humidity there has risen now from 25% to 35%, which is much better.  My front bedroom is 20% and the basement is 12% :huh: (I do have stuff overwintering down there under T5 lights and different spectrums of LEDs but gotta get back to that - I have a portable humidifier down there too if necessary but haven't needed to use it in a few years).

barometric-pressure-plot-weewx-410pm-showing-possible-shockwave-ripple-at-around-10am-annotated-01152022.png

I saw that…so cool! And from an underwater volcano no less. The sat pics were incredible. Couldn’t help but wonder if there were any ships in the area at the time.