Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December Banter 2021

George BM

41 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I just realized since moving up here March is the month most likely to produce a warning level snowfall. Probably why I get annoyed when people start talking about spring in February. 

I recall you saying that you hadn't gone a winter without a warning level snowfall since 01-02 and that you were overdue.. :unsure:

Got my high school swim team events for our first meet tomorrow. Put me in 500 free 200 free then 200 free relay and 400 free relay. I am not a distance swimmer and thus might drown tomorrow. For those who don’t know swim just know that these are the longest events in the meet back to back and I am not great at long distance. For those who do know swim like @NorthArlington101 any tips would be nice. I should go a roughly 30 pace for the 500 so I should be fine but then I swim in the relay directly after and with this being my first high school meet it’s going to be a little rough. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, SnowenOutThere said:

Got my high school swim team events for our first meet tomorrow. Put me in 500 free 200 free then 200 free relay and 400 free relay. I am not a distance swimmer and thus might drown tomorrow. For those who don’t know swim just know that these are the longest events in the meet back to back and I am not great at long distance. For those who do know swim like @NorthArlington101 any tips would be nice. I should go a roughly 30 pace for the 500 so I should be fine but then I swim in the relay directly after and with this being my first high school meet it’s going to be a little rough. 

Now you are. :-)

• Like 1

Got my high school swim team events for our first meet tomorrow. Put me in 500 free 200 free then 200 free relay and 400 free relay. I am not a distance swimmer and thus might drown tomorrow. For those who don’t know swim just know that these are the longest events in the meet back to back and I am not great at long distance. For those who do know swim like [mention=9980]NorthArlington101[/mention] any tips would be nice. I should go a roughly 30 pace for the 500 so I should be fine but then I swim in the relay directly after and with this being my first high school meet it’s going to be a little rough. 

Jeez, that is about my nightmare set of events.

I *would not* go a 30s pace in the 500 if you haven’t really done it much before. 5:00 is fairly quick for a high school meet - I’d sorta just try and outpace the guy next to you. If a 5:00 500fr breeze for you, rock on. The issue with HS meets is that there often isn’t a warmdown pool and there are only two heats, so you are gonna get a ton of lactic acid buildup. Do some nice walking around warm down and stay hydrated!

3 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Two words:  sippy cup!!

(for you, of course, filled with the beverage of your choice and cleverly hidden!)

This is my first HS meet so I need to get a feel of how things go before I make a cup of adult colored tea

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Jeez, that is about my nightmare set of events.

I *would not* go a 30s pace in the 500 if you haven’t really done it much before. 5:00 is fairly quick for a high school meet - I’d sorta just try and outpace the guy next to you. If a 5:00 500fr breeze for you, rock on. The issue with HS meets is that there often isn’t a warmdown pool and there are only two heats, so you are gonna get a ton of lactic acid buildup. Do some nice walking around warm down and stay hydrated!

Only one heat for an event, and right after the 500 free is my 200 free relay. It is gonna hurt. I swam a 500 free less than a month ago and got a time in the 5 20s because my counter was off pace. I was a bit tired but not dying as I should be. Before that 500 we never did pace in practice but now have done some. I think I should be able to go around 30 seconds for pace. Not to mention how this is my nightmare as well, the one thing that would make it worse is switching out one relay for 200 IM. I'm not terrible at these events and free is my best stroke but I just don't like distance. Thanks for the tips though, I'll update you guys as the meet goes on. Did I mention that the meet starts at 8 30, ugh. 

3 hours ago, SnowenOutThere said:

I guess I am now, don’t know how to feel about that. 

I hate to say it this way without sounding like a cliché, but just take it one event at a time.    Focus on your your race plan at the start of each race and then reset when getting ready for the next one. 

One track meet a long, long time ago, I had to fill in for the 3200 relay, then run the hurdles next.   It wasn't that bad, but I know that swimming is a lot different. 

Good luck and let us know how you do. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SnowenOutThere said:

Only one heat for an event, and right after the 500 free is my 200 free relay. It is gonna hurt. I swam a 500 free less than a month ago and got a time in the 5 20s because my counter was off pace. I was a bit tired but not dying as I should be. Before that 500 we never did pace in practice but now have done some. I think I should be able to go around 30 seconds for pace. Not to mention how this is my nightmare as well, the one thing that would make it worse is switching out one relay for 200 IM. I'm not terrible at these events and free is my best stroke but I just don't like distance. Thanks for the tips though, I'll update you guys as the meet goes on. Did I mention that the meet starts at 8 30, ugh. 

8:30 is super late -- that sucks.

My last tidbit of advice would be to just make sure not to burn all your energy on the first race. It might look impressive but it's a swim meet - part of what you are there to learn is how to maintain enough energy to compete in each race. That said, I'm sure you are in shape enough to rock a 50fr after the 500 -- you could probably rock a solid 50fr after swimming the mile.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I think he still knows what he is talking about...he is playing people for fools.  There are times he is contradicting things he said earlier in the season (when situations change) or going against things others in his own company are saying or "forgets" things I know he knows from 2 decades ago when I used to correspond with him and he wasn't like this at all.  He has either really totally and completely lost his mind or he is has simply sold out and doing it on purpose.  It's probably a little of both but I still think its mostly an act.  If he admits now that its probably going to be warm and snowless for the foreseeable future his subscription numbers for December will take a hit.  

Ever since he left Accuweather his expertise seems to have declined.  It really makes me wonder about him leaving.

26 minutes ago, BTRWx's Thanks Giving said:

Ever since he left Accuweather his expertise seems to have declined.  It really makes me wonder about him leaving.

It's possible accuweather cared about their reputation and professional integrity more and held him in check.  It's possible weatherbell could be playing both sides...we don't really know for sure what they send to their clients...and at times the things he is saying don't completely align with what JoeD and others on Wxbell are saying.  JB might just be the public hype man to get hits, attention, and weenie subscriptions.  

14 hours ago, Cobalt said:

I recall you saying that you hadn't gone a winter without a warning level snowfall since 01-02 and that you were overdue.. :unsure:

true...  

These records go back a few years before I got to this area...but these are the numbers of warning level events per year since that 2002 year...the last year without up here.  I used the coop in town for the 4 years before I got here.  

2003 3
2004 3
2005 3
2006 2
2007 2
2008 1
2009 1
2010 4
2011 2
2012 1
2013 2
2014 7
2015 3
2016 2
2017 1
2018 2
2019 3
2020 1

55 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

What is it with people in the Mid-Atlantic having more alcohol than food in their fridge?

Do I need to remind you of my last two winter snow totals.  The booze is the ointment for the chapped ass of so much snow not happening.  

Just now, NorthArlington101 said:

didn’t we just see a tweet from someone talking about how the CMC was one of the better global models at this point?

It scores higher than the GFS, but those scores are based on large scale anomalies and not necessarily indicative of how well it does with what we care about, a very specific thing...snow on our lawns.  

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic