Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2021 Obs/Disco...Dreaming of a White-Weenie Xmas

40/70 Benchmark

3 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

soundings kind of look like a ice threat more than a snow threat to me

It’s not a ZR sounding over this way really maybe until the end. Maybe a little further southwest its more. It’s mostly heavy snow to some sleet maybe ending as FZDZ

26 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

My point is that the MJO has been coherent. I think this is like the HC phenomenon in that yes, it can be reduced, but not eradicated...how much is it muted is the question. Not much throughout November.

MJO coherency isn't my point...  - if it matters. It's coherent, obviously ...but it's in the southern hemisphere - south of the Equator. 

It is not going to transmit it forcing through the "Equatorial wall" ... like this,

image.png.574544428f9c706d58e940c0c44d29c4.png

- the flux of latent heat would move outward ( aloft) and away from the Equator toward those mid latitudes... What could change is if the wave grew laterally ... the wave its self can extend further through the equatorial 'boundary'.  If that happens, convection ignition would then initiate modulation ( maybe ...). 

Fwiw - here's excerpt from CPC's recent publication:

A Pacific MJO event is likely to destructively interfere with La Niña, and there remains uncertainty as to whether the MJO will maintain an organized structure, as evidenced by large ensemble spread in the RMM forecasts through mid-December. Any coherence of the intraseasonal signal is more likely to be south of the equator.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

MJO coherency isn't my point...  - if it matters. It's coherent, obviously ...but it's in the southern hemisphere - south of the Equator. 

It is not going to transmit it forcing through the "Equatorial wall" ... like this,

image.png.574544428f9c706d58e940c0c44d29c4.png

- the flux of latent heat would move outward ( aloft) and away from the Equator toward those mid latitudes... What could change is if the wave grew laterally ... the wave its self can extend further through the equatorial 'boundary'.  If that happens, convection ignition would then initiate modulation ( maybe ...). 

Fwiw - here's excerpt from CPC's recent publication:

A Pacific MJO event is likely to destructively interfere with La Niña, and there remains uncertainty as to whether the MJO will maintain an organized structure, as evidenced by large ensemble spread in the RMM forecasts through mid-December. Any coherence of the intraseasonal signal is more likely to be south of the equator.

MJO coherency IS your point whether you realize it or not because you are implying that it is not leaving an imprint on the N hemispheric pattern, when in fact it has been.

It has been stuck in phase 6 for awhile now...and it is no coincidence that the the Nov 2021 composite:

537445483_NoveActual.thumb.png.e9e21ae911eba499ddc73ad5ac41e785.pngLooks an awful lot like the composite for phase 6 of the MJO during la nina ENSO:

nina_6_dic_low.thumb.png.706e1bfd0ad37343f25441b5ba3689a4.png

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

MJO coherency IS your point whether you realize it or not because you are implying that it is not leaving an imprint on the N hemispheric pattern, when in fact it has been.

It has been stuck in phase 6 for awhile now...and it is no coincidence that the the Nov 2021 composite:

537445483_NoveActual.thumb.png.e9e21ae911eba499ddc73ad5ac41e785.pngLooks an awful lot like the composite for phase 6 of the MJO during la nina ENSO:

nina_6_dic_low.thumb.png.706e1bfd0ad37343f25441b5ba3689a4.png

What the f are you talking about.  I just said "it's obviously coherent" and your telling me that IS my point..

No shit Sherlock.  ...So you must mean, 'coherent as in detectably forcing the Northern Hem' ?

wrong -

the MJO is not enforcing the NH when it is not even emerged barely out of the Marine continent ... thus, that's not what's causing that