• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York-Into Winter!

23 hours ago, vortmax said:

Might as well be dry and mild while we do...loving that forecast. We don't want the real cold stuff coming down until late Nov thru Dec...

I tarped my tomato plants for last night and tonight. My Tempest registered 32.4F early this morning, and I expect we will definitely see sub-freezing temps tonight, but I'm determined to stretch my fresh tomatoes as close to Thanksgiving as possible.

45 minutes ago, WNash said:

I tarped my tomato plants for last night and tonight. My Tempest registered 32.4F early this morning, and I expect we will definitely see sub-freezing temps tonight, but I'm determined to stretch my fresh tomatoes as close to Thanksgiving as possible.

Don't your plants look like hot garbage by this point in the season?  I mean most tomato plants start looking pretty beat in September, let alone November.  That ship sailed a long time ago for me, but god speed if yours are still somehow producing.  Not sure a tarp is adequate though, doesn't really do much in regard to insulation. Tonight will be the coldest night of the season so far and then you look to get a bit of a reprieve.  Good luck!

9 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Don't your plants look like hot garbage by this point in the season?  I mean most tomato plants start looking pretty beat in September, let alone November.  That ship sailed a long time ago for me, but god speed if yours are still somehow producing.  Not sure a tarp is adequate though, doesn't really do much in regard to insulation. Tonight will be the coldest night of the season so far and then you look to get a bit of a reprieve.  Good luck!

After Sept 15, my toms always taste weird. Like pumpkin or cantaloupe. I can’t do it. Plus, they won’t really ripen. 

22 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

After Sept 15, my toms always taste weird. Like pumpkin or cantaloupe. I can’t do it. Plus, they won’t really ripen. 

I think tomatoes need strong insolation to ripen. I have a couple of cherry tomato plants on my deck that did really well this summer. Starting in September the leaves started shriveling and I don’t think any tomatoes have ripened in a month. It’s funny but my little terrier goes out and picks the low tomatoes and plays with them like they were balls. We’re going to pull plants in the next couple of days. 

34 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

So, I'm curious...When are you guys going to banish me to say.... Worth ......so your winters get better? I'm still waiting for that cabin amongst the "toothless people" that @Syrmax promised me....

https://www.northernchateau.com/camgd.php?updatefreq=5&camsite=1&cam=2

Was thinking more along the lines of this for you:  Yes, its the Unabomber Shack.

Screenshot_20211104-114745_Chrome.jpg

• Haha 1

An upper level ridge will move into the Great Lakes and Northeast
the start of next work week. Dry and warm weather expected during
this time. An area of low pressure will approach the Great Lakes
early next week. It remains uncertain how this system will track but
moisture should increase ahead of this system by Tuesday night. Low
chances for showers begin Wednesday.

Above normal temperatures expected through this period. Above normal
temperatures will likely continue into next weekend

2 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

So, I'm curious...When are you guys going to banish me to say.... Worth ......so your winters get better? I'm still waiting for that cabin amongst the "toothless people" that @Syrmax promised me....

https://www.northernchateau.com/camgd.php?updatefreq=5&camsite=1&cam=2

I mean I’ve been trying for some time now…

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Looking quite toasty for the next 7-10 days. Bet we see a few 60 deg days, might reopen the pool to float. 

I'm loving the fact that golf is my new favorite sport.  I still love snow and cold, but now when its warm and toasty I have something really fun to do.  Definitely going to make these marginal winters going forward more tolerable.

• Like 1

Just now, DeltaT13 said:

I'm loving the fact that golf is my new favorite sport.  I still love snow and cold, but now when its warm and toasty I have something really fun to do.  Definitely going to make these marginal winters going forward more tolerable.

Golfing on frozen ground can be a blast. The only way I'm ever hitting a drive 300yds.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

I'm a big disc golfer so my season goes pretty late as well. 

59 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

golf is too expensive. I love being in the woods and its free. 

Another great thing about fall and winter golf, the rates!  18 holes with a cart for 24 bucks!  13 dollars to walk!  Anyway, I don't consider this off topic because its been a real snoozer weatherwise so far....ugh.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Another great thing about fall and winter golf, the rates!  18 holes with a cart for 24 bucks!  13 dollars to walk!  Anyway, I don't consider this off topic because its been a real snoozer weatherwise so far....ugh.

Agree, golf prices upstate are generally quite reasonable. There are pricier courses of course but even most if those are still much more affordable than in many areas of the country.

49 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

Hey guys, just bought a house in lowville. Looking to settle sometime near thanksgiving and start of dec. coming from sepa, so looking forward to some good lake effect 

Nice! Welcome. Head's up: Lowville does tend to get shadowed by the higher elevations of the Tug...MUCH less than 10 miles west and higher up. But, average snowfall of 130 inches with below freezing temps most of the winter is SOLID winter. I looked for job opportunities there, but the economy of Lewis county (and rural NY in general) is pretty tough. I was born and raised in Lancaster, PA (moved away in my early 20s)....so "welcome" to another PA native! 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Nice! Welcome. Head's up: Lowville does tend to get shadowed by the higher elevations of the Tug...MUCH less than 10 miles west and higher up. But, average snowfall of 130 inches with below freezing temps most of the winter is SOLID winter. I looked for job opportunities there, but the economy of Lewis county (and rural NY in general) is pretty tough. I was born and raised in Lancaster, PA (moved away in my early 20s)....so "welcome" to another PA native! 

Yea I know, thats going to get under my skin the shadowing effect via downsloping lol. But going from 32" avg to 130" will be a hefty upgrade regardless.  In looking for houses, there really wasn't much available in the prime spots of the tughill, rather sparse area. I originally had a house lined up just outside of watertown, se portion of the city outskirts but it fell through. I feel watertown is a bit limited with lower elev and being in a not so dominant wind direction in winter time. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

Yea I know, thats going to get under my skin the shadowing effect via downsloping lol. But going from 32" avg to 130" will be a hefty upgrade regardless.  In looking for houses, there really wasn't much available in the prime spots of the tughill, rather sparse area. I originally had a house lined up just outside of watertown, se portion of the city outskirts but it fell through. I feel watertown is a bit limited with lower elev and being in a not so dominant wind direction in winter time. 

The south side of Watertown and into southern Jefferson county does really well. They've been rockin' it the past several years. Lots of WSW and SW winds have brought some good events even to Watertown itself. Yes, the more dominant westerly wind (usually) can add some consistency.