• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York-Into Winter!

16 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

It's kind of hard to compare when Oswego has had it's worst 2 year span in history.. According to the Oswego E spotter last year was 59" and the previous year 52".. Syracuse was much closer to average then Oswego was..

Screenshot_20211106-110836.png

I have noticed Oswego county doesn't do well at all with many synoptic events. I think downsloping plays a much bigger role than is often discussed in the weather world in relation to many lake effect areas...Oswego being one of them. Heck, even when I was in South Redfield, I felt that was an issue. During synoptic events, the snowfall just seemed like it was struggling...like when you see lots of space/dry air falling between snowflakes (hard to explain).

So, during these exceptionally mild winters where cold air and lake effect snow is lacking, I could see how a place like Oswego could have worse results than here. Those snowfall dumps bring up those season totals!

12 hours ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

@Thinksnow18  I added some new graphics!  Little Johnny Cash for tonight's 10pm temperature check in at the always balmy Buffalo Niagara International Airport!  Be careful around that Ring of Fire!    

1105-1009pm.png

4 hours ago, Thinksnow18 said:

I agree with this. Plus once again it was full sun at KBUF yesterday and no wind at all. Let’s also take into effect KBUF is about 10 miles inland from the lake. So the only way the temp gauge would be influenced by the lake is a SW wind pushing 52 degree air towards it…and all other sites would have a similar temperature range. 

according to this, kbuf is running 1-2 degrees to warm compared to surrounding station analysis 

https://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/Kbuf

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I would send KBUF a screenshot of the highest departure you can find the next few weeks current time, maybe they will go check it out again or replace a broken part. 

I've sent them a few things recently but they stopped replying, I bet they think I am a crazy nut job.  The only answer I have been given is UHI could explain it.  While the impact on the climate records is minimal I still wonder if they could at least try and calibrate a second probe to the ASOS and then place it somewhere else on the airport grounds and just test to see if the current location reading is being contaminated during the overnight period.  Could be new development or activity in that area of the airport that the NWS is not even aware of?  Makes me wonder if this higher temperature reading could cause any operational issues at the airport.  Take last night for example where the airport was reading 38 while the surrounding sites were near freezing at 32-34.  Do we need to de-ice the runways yet?  Maybe at 34... but 38 we can wait another hour right?  Maybe a bit of an extreme example, but I think we should want the "official" temperature to be rather official shouldn't we?  Hard to accept it when we have question past record keeping and errors have actually been found... (the Erie snow spotters... the Buffalo temp sensor issue just last summer/fall... I think someone else mentioned Albany found an error with their sensor this past summer)    

• Like 2

Meanwhile, the next incoming trough will be amplifying across the
Central Plains and Upper Great Lakes Wednesday. This upper level trough
will deepen and eventually form a cut off low over the Upper
Midwest/Upper Great Lakes. Said upper level pattern will
support a surface low and associated surface fronts to form over
the Upper Great Lakes. The surface low is then progged to
deepen and advance northeast into lower Ontario, Canada
Thursday. Overall this will initially push a warm front across
the region Thursday, followed by a cold frontal passage
Friday/Saturday. While, model guidance packages are relaying the
same scenarios, their timing of the features are different
between the 12Z long range guidances packages and therefore,
expect chances for rain showers to increase Thursday with the
initial passage of the warm front. Followed by a further
increase in PoPs Friday and Saturday with the likelihood of the
cold frontal passage. Showers will primarily remain in the form
of rain since the air mass overhead will be primed with above
normal temperatures.

In the wake of the frontal passage, much colder air will advect in
across the region dropping temperatures down to around -6C at 850mb.
That being said, the cold air aloft, along with leftover synoptic
moisture and the trough axis crossing overhead lake effect
precipitation can be expected late Saturday and Saturday night,
though the specifics this far out are too hard to pin down.

Otherwise, most of the period will remain above normal with regards
to temperatures with highs ranging from the mid 50s to low 60s.
However, the cold frontal passage late in the week will modulate
temperatures downward for highs in the mid 40s across the higher
terrain and low 50s across the lake plains.

On 11/6/2021 at 10:52 AM, TugHillMatt said:

@Syrmax, during your commutes to Oswego from Northern Onondaga county, did you notice much difference in snowfall/snowpack between Oswego and our area? I know the strip between, from Fulton to Volney, jackpots. However, I have a couple of colleagues who live in Oswego and commute to Bville...and they say that we often have more snow than they do up there. The only times this isn't the case are when Oswego gets hammered by those close-to-the-lake tea kettle snows.

I'd generally agree that Oswego proper has less snow than here often. However, between here and there, more snow in So. Oswego cty.

• Like 2

Hey all,

I am now a proud owner of a home in Cicero, NY around 10 miles North of Syracuse on I81

Still shuffling between Liberty NY in Sullivan County's Catskills and Lynbrook Long Island (Nassau County ) 10 minutes from JFK airport.

I do have a weather cam set up there to monitor my property and snow.

House getting a new kitchen so won't be there for an extended period of time until the end of December

Looking forward to sharing observations with my 3rd acurite weather station and really seeing LES

Be interesting to see how Cicero ranks against neighboring areas I know of like Camilius, Manlius and Brewerton  in comparison

Most interesting to me  will be to see is if Cicero outperforms downtown Syracuse (Snowiest USA major city. I can see historical records for SYR but not Cicero

If you are around Cicero give me a shout here

My wife and I love the area and I am happy to be there and as I might have said in an earlier post; I can also go to Liberty NY or Lynbrook Long Island if that is where the snow action is.

Hopefully, fun times ahead!

• Like 7

1 minute ago, sferic said:

Hey all,

I am now a proud owner of a home in Cicero, NY around 10 miles North of Syracuse on I81

Still shuffling between Liberty NY in Sullivan County's Catskills and Lynbrook Long Island (Nassau County ) 10 minutes from JFK airport.

I do have a weather cam set up there to monitor my property and snow.

House getting a new kitchen so won't be there for an extended period of time until the end of December

Looking forward to sharing observations with my 3rd acurite weather station and really seeing LES

Be interesting to see how Cicero how neighboring areas I know of like Camilius, Manlius and Brewerton do in comparison

Most interesting to me  will be to see is if Cicero outperforms downtown Syracuse (Snowiest USA major city. I can see historical records for SYR but not Cicero

If you are around Cicero give me a shout here

My wife and I love the area and I am happy to be there and as I might have said in an earlier post; I can also go to Liberty NY or Lynbrook Long Island if that is where the snow action is.

Hopefully, fun times ahead!

Welcome aboard..

Nice to see the"upstate" forum grow..

Good luck with your move..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Literally the most perfect fall morning. Warmed up throughout the round, but very little wind beautiful sunshine. Give me this for another couple weeks.

Enjoy it because you won't be seeing it again until late April. :)  Only 4 days of nice weather.