Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Cold Season Thread 2021/2022

PhineasC

7 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Been sort of snoozing on weather for a bit here but the models do show some kind of ongoing mixed mess scenario for basically a week straight starting Wednesday. Seems very marginal but if we end up on the right side could be a decent amount of snow. Or days of dreary cold rain. 

yeah, could always turn out ugly...but verbatim, the last couple gfs runs show days and days of upslope with us at least in the game for snow with almost every system.  If half of that broke right, would be quite a stretch and some good skiing to end the season.  Not saying its gonna happen, but would be cool to rip off one of those late season stretches we hear about.

• Like 1

Interesting idea, I could see some serious resistance to this :lol:.

https://www.wmur.com/article/mount-washington-railway-company-new-mountainside-lodging-experience-new-hampshire-3-20-22/39484868#

Mount Washington Railway Company proposes new mountainside lodging experience

New train station below the summit would include dining, sleeper cars for guests

25 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

https://www.wmur.com/article/mount-washington-railway-company-new-mountainside-lodging-experience-new-hampshire-3-20-22/39484868#

New train station below the summit would include dining, sleeper cars for guests

It would be built on private land. I think it will get the green light. We could use something not owned by Omni, in BW. 

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

This is the same dude who proposed a 25,000 sq ft hotel at that site back in 2017. I think he just does this for the press and visibility. No way was that or this happening. With that said the the Presis and other popular places in the Whites are a circus and what harm will a little more development do to an already clapped out, abused and masshole infested clownland? If it were up to me, and it’s not, I’d have torn down the auto road, train, and summit restaurant long ago. Hell even the observatory can go too as far as I’m concerned. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

There is private land at 5800’ on Mt Washington? Must be an old property deed from 150 years ago. 

Sounds about right, there’s some weird stuff on Mansfield too.  I think the University of Vermont owned some land up top from 1800s type deeds.  Don’t know if they do anymore or what the real story is.  But stuff was different back then.

12 hours ago, NW_of_GYX said:

This is the same dude who proposed a 25,000 sq ft hotel at that site back in 2017. I think he just does this for the press and visibility. No way was that or this happening. With that said the the Presis and other popular places in the Whites are a circus and what harm will a little more development do to an already clapped out, abused and masshole infested clownland? If it were up to me, and it’s not, I’d have torn down the auto road, train, and summit restaurant long ago. Hell even the observatory can go too as far as I’m concerned. 

Turn MWN into Katahdin southwest?

• Like 1

Esthetically speaking MWN has always  (to me) been a real nice mountain to look at and it  holds very special significance in my life.  The cone summit with the built in observatory and small radio towers with a single narrow cog line going up the mountain is pleasing to look at.  5800 feet is above tree line and  train cars sitting up there during the warm season would make the mountain look a lot less natural and not in keeping with the Whites.   Personally I am totally against this idea.  People in this country have lots of wilderness experiences they can already partake in.

Oh,  I can just see it now.  Pay $1000, book way in advance and then  being stuck in the clouds for days at a time or having guests with no hiking experience wandering around the summit cone at night.   

As some of you know,  MWN summit is a special place for my husband Bob and I.  On Jan 1 2008 the first day same sex  unions became legal in NH, we were married on the summit.  I gave the observatory a nice donation and they made an exception to their rules. About 10 of our family and friends crammed into a snow cat and were driven up to the summit.  That day a noreaster was heading up the coast. I was watching the weather very carefully the night before.  The next morning at the base  as we set out to go there was a high overcast that was rapidly lowering. By the time we got to around 4000 feet it started to snow and blow.  If it had been a clear day with light winds we would have been married outside but by the time we got to the observatory around noon the temperature was around 5F, with  snow and  wind around 50 gusting to 70ish, true blizzard conditions. It was hard to tell snow intensity with so much blowing and being in the clouds.  So the snow cat pulled close to the door and we all went inside and got married there.  At the summit there was a group of German scientists that were staying and they were our audience as well as the observatory people and the summit cat.  Is was  very  moving.  The observatory made us all a nice  lunch and then we headed back down in blizzard conditions.  I have to commend the snowcat drivers.  Very few people have experienced a true blizzard and zero vis.  I mean not more than 15 feet. The  road is marked with high stakes.  We were greeted at the base with about 8" of new snow and driving home could be a story in of itself.  MWN does not allow weddings in the observatory but they made an exception.  They asked us to not notify the media as they wanted to keep this quiet.  That was 13 years ago when things were a bit different.  Another first for the summit that few know about!

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Esthetically speaking MWN has always  (to me) been a real nice mountain to look at and it  holds very special significance in my life.  The cone summit with the built in observatory and small radio towers with a single narrow cog line going up the mountain is pleasing to look at.  5800 feet is above tree line and  train cars sitting up there during the warm season would make the mountain look a lot less natural and not in keeping with the Whites.   Personally I am totally against this idea.  People in this country have lots of wilderness experiences they can already partake in.

Oh,  I can just see it now.  Pay $1000, book way in advance and then  being stuck in the clouds for days at a time or having guests with no hiking experience wandering around the summit cone at night.   

As some of you know,  MWN summit is a special place for my husband Bob and I.  On Jan 1 2008 the first day same sex  unions became legal in NH, we were married on the summit.  I gave the observatory a nice donation and they made an exception to their rules. About 10 of our family and friends crammed into a snow cat and were driven up to the summit.  That day a noreaster was heading up the coast. I was watching the weather very carefully the night before.  The next morning at the base  as we set out to go there was a high overcast that was rapidly lowering. By the time we got to around 4000 feet it started to snow and blow.  If it had been a clear day with light winds we would have been married outside but by the time we got to the observatory around noon the temperature was around 5F, with  snow and  wind around 50 gusting to 70ish, true blizzard conditions. It was hard to tell snow intensity with so much blowing and being in the clouds.  So the snow cat pulled close to the door and we all went inside and got married there.  At the summit there was a group of German scientists that were staying and they were our audience as well as the observatory people and the summit cat.  Is was  very  moving.  The observatory made us all a nice  lunch and then we headed back down in blizzard conditions.  I have to commend the snowcat drivers.  Very few people have experienced a true blizzard and zero vis.  I mean not more than 15 feet. The  road is marked with high stakes.  We were greeted at the base with about 8" of new snow and driving home could be a story in of itself.  MWN does not allow weddings in the observatory but they made an exception.  They asked us to not notify the media as they wanted to keep this quiet.  That was 13 years ago when things were a bit different.  Another first for the summit that few know about!

That is such a great story.  One for the ages and one that just about any of us who post here would love to experience.

38 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Skiing was phenomenal today.  So stoked.  Much better than expected.

It’s surprising how it held up over the weekend and what a couple cold nights/above freezing days have done!

Do you have the euro for the weekend/early next week?  I’m drooling over that northwest flow behind the storm for what might be one last upslope event…gfs looked promising.  CMC not as much.

2 hours ago, bwt3650 said:

It’s surprising how it held up over the weekend and what a couple cold nights/above freezing days have done!

Do you have the euro for the weekend/early next week?  I’m drooling over that northwest flow behind the storm for what might be one last upslope event…gfs looked promising.  CMC not as much.

It looks pretty good, IMO. Euro is close to 2" liquid of various types of frozen precip here between now and next Tuesday.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2022 at 6:58 PM, PhineasC said:

It looks pretty good, IMO. Euro is close to 2" liquid of various types of frozen precip here between now and next Tuesday.

What happened over that way today?  Only a whitening of sleet at 1,500ft office over here (some pooling of pellets and white on shaded spots when I left at 5:30pm), along with icing this morning that melted up to 2,500ft this afternoon. Siggy ice up high but as usual this winter seemed to deliver just a warm enough profile for not much interesting weather.  Models looked like your area might get a decent amount of sleet and maybe a couple inches of snow on the front end?  The snow maps are usually way overrated in these though.

Some winters these come in more wintry... other winters they leave a trace of sleet/ice on the ground like its Virginia in January.  

47 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

What happened over that way today?  Only a whitening of sleet at 1,500ft office over here (some pooling of pellets and white on shaded spots when I left at 5:30pm), along with icing this morning that melted up to 2,500ft this afternoon. Siggy ice up high but as usual this winter seemed to deliver just a warm enough profile for not much interesting weather.  Models looked like your area might get a decent amount of sleet and maybe a couple inches of snow on the front end?  The snow maps are usually way overrated in these though.

Some winters these come in more wintry... other winters they leave a trace of sleet/ice on the ground like its Virginia in January.  

Had maybe 1/4” or so of sleet, mostly melted by mid morning, mixed with freezing rain (at least that was here). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Did next to nothing, really. Didn't precipitate much. When I woke up there was some sleet on the ground and ice on the trees but that didn't last long. 

On 3/23/2022 at 1:00 PM, wxeyeNH said:

That's a terrific story of history, weather and love.

• Like 2