Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Cold Season Thread 2021/2022

PhineasC

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It's snowing with purpose now.  Closing in on 2" at 3,000ft.  No accumulations at 1,500ft yet but there's some steady wet snow falling.

WUNIDS_map.gif.0f4ac4d7a1c8f209731ab55d63aa3f41.gif

I just checked the BV webcam at 2,000’ and they’re getting some solid snowfall with accumulation down to that elevation now.  I’m not sure if Mother Nature intends to keep it up at that intensity all night, but that would set up some great turns tomorrow.  I’m sure those 30-40 db echoes are helping the matter.

On 3/28/2022 at 6:24 PM, powderfreak said:

Skiing right now is some of the best of the season on the top 1,000 vertical feet.

It was a busy week, but I’ve had a chance to put together a few more thoughts and shots from Monday.  Based on my sessions from Sunday and Monday at Bolton, I wouldn’t put the skiing from the weekend event in the top 20% of the season’s turns, but probably into that next quintile down.  It was definitely good, but even in this season, we’ve had a number of better storm cycles in terms of both total liquid equivalent, subsurface quality, and powder quality/dryness.  With the continued snowfall, Monday was certainly a bump in accumulations as I noted in my earlier report, and that additional liquid equivalent was enough to bump up the resurfacing to really encompass blue and some black terrain.

Monday morning was pretty cold, down in the single digits F, so I found the snow a bit slow except for the less settled/lower density areas.  The more consolidated areas of powder with the finer grains or wind-based compaction were just on the slow side due to the combination of temperatures and the snow density.  The biggest bump I think this most recent event gets when it comes to the overall quality of the ski experience was due to skier numbers, which were way down.  I was touring in the late morning on Monday and there were only 3 or 4 tracks coming down Lower Turnpike where the Wilderness Uphill Route is located.  A typical midseason day would definitely have seen more activity by that point.  Sure, it was a Monday, but Sunday was sort of the same; it’s just that time of year when many people don’t have the drive to ski because it’s no winter where they are, or they’ve moved on to other activities, or whatever.  That’s of course one of the reasons March and April are so great in the mountains, as your images have been showing.

Anyway, I’ve got a few more shots below – the first one was a leftover from Sunday that I didn’t get to post, and the others are from Monday’s session.  It is nice to see another round of snow hitting the mountains now, so maybe we’ll get a chance for more fun this weekend.

27MAR22G.thumb.jpg.b8e03620eb3e72a0252e0baf27eb9086.jpg

28MAR22A.thumb.jpg.ec1175da39fc80f5253e929944ea3438.jpg

28MAR22B.thumb.jpg.77aa646145f4e8da7da13574dc43eea9.jpg

28MAR22C.thumb.jpg.5918c6cef2c0ad59bb54cb5d324e3c31.jpg

49 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

I just checked the BV webcam at 2,000’ and they’re getting some solid snowfall with accumulation down to that elevation now.  I’m not sure if Mother Nature intends to keep it up at that intensity all night, but that would set up some great turns tomorrow.  I’m sure those 30-40 db echoes are helping the matter.

Just got to my car and we are whitening up at 1500ft.  It’s snowing moderate 1/2 mile stuff.  3” at 3,000ft Snow Cam.

Going to change to rain probably by Toll House base ha.

E87F33FB-1AAE-4D59-AE5C-F597D5864077.jpeg.b965a81cdadab667ffa5c39c39733841.jpeg

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Just got to my car and we are whitening up at 1500ft.  It’s snowing moderate 1/2 mile stuff.  3” at 3,000ft Snow Cam.

Going to change to rain probably by Toll House base ha.

E87F33FB-1AAE-4D59-AE5C-F597D5864077.jpeg.b965a81cdadab667ffa5c39c39733841.jpeg

I just looked outside and the precipitation is all snow here at the house.  I’m not sure when it changed over, but the snow level has dropped to the valley floor.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

It's snowing with purpose now.  Closing in on 2" at 3,000ft.  No accumulations at 1,500ft yet but there's some steady wet snow falling.

WUNIDS_map.gif.0f4ac4d7a1c8f209731ab55d63aa3f41.gif

How are you getting this radar?  Mine has been stuck on 3/2 for a month and I even tried a browser I never used in case it was just a cached page that wouldn't update.  Nope

image.png.625a2a8fe53f8ec6be5d6ef427719552.png

3 minutes ago, dmcginvt said:

How are you getting this radar?  Mine has been stuck on 3/2 for a month and I even tried a browser I never used in case it was just a cached page that wouldn't update.  Nope

image.png.625a2a8fe53f8ec6be5d6ef427719552.png

Yeah for some reason only the “composite” will work.  I loved the 2.5 degree scan but now use RadarScope for that.

22 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah for some reason only the “composite” will work.  I loved the 2.5 degree scan but now use RadarScope for that.

Thanks, been snowing at 820' here on Gregg Hill for an hour now just starting to accumulate.  Cant wait to tell my friends arriving that the mtn has 5" at the high rd already!  Wooo go April!

Edit: just let the dogs out, and they came back in covered in graupel

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dmcginvt said:

Thanks, been snowing at 820' here on Gregg Hill for an hour now just starting to accumulate.  Cant wait to tell my friends arriving that the mtn has 5" at the high rd already!  Wooo go April!

Edit: just let the dogs out, and they came back in covered in graupel

Yeah it's whitening up out there on cars and grass a bit... but seems like an "icy" type of snow.  It's not pure flakes.  Seems rimed... loud snow.

Grooming reports 6-7" up top and 4" on 13 Pitch of Liftline talking to a groomer winching it.  Insulating the wet snow below so the pack isn't freezing underneath very quick.  It's still soaked under the new snow it sounds like.

39 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah it's whitening up out there on cars and grass a bit... but seems like an "icy" type of snow.  It's not pure flakes.  Seems rimed... loud snow.

Grooming reports 6-7" up top and 4" on 13 Pitch of Liftline talking to a groomer winching it.  Insulating the wet snow below so the pack isn't freezing underneath very quick.  It's still soaked under the new snow it sounds like.

Im almost due east of bolton, so if im still getting snow being leeward, I know the mtn is getting dumped on.  Unlike jspin who being in the valley gets all the snow.  I get shadowed when he doesnt, it all has to do with a girl named jenny

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mreaves said:

About an inch here. I’m ready for some nice weather to dry things out in the yard   Time to move on to golf season. Still 3-4 weeks away around here. 

We start the league last week of April, we used to start earlier but we'd always get a cold rain day or sometimes just too freaking cold to play. One year it was around 40 with drizzle, most miserable I've even been on the course.

19 minutes ago, mreaves said:

About an inch here. I’m ready for some nice weather to dry things out in the yard   Time to move on to golf season. Still 3-4 weeks away around here. 

Yeah, snow is always neat but this stuff is just prolonging the inevitable at this point, and as soon as the sun rises it nukes it anyway, even with temps well below freezing. My mud is turning to slush. There isn't enough new snow falling at the ski places over here to make a difference really, sounds like up high in VT there are still some powder stashes to be found in spots.

With the snow from this latest storm, my wife and I headed up to Bolton for a session yesterday with our older son, who is back from school on spring break.  We got to the mountain reasonably early, with some concern about how the powder was going to hold up as the day warmed, but even as of midday that wasn’t a concern at elevation.  It was probably in the 20s F when we arrived, and combined with the breeze, it was chilly.  It was excellent touring weather, and the powder stayed cold and dry.  Even at midday, the higher elevation snow was dry, although snow in the mid to lower elevations in directly sunlight was starting to be affected by the sun.

The mountain was reporting 4 inches of new snow, but I’d say that was a fairly conservative report – I was finding 5-6” new at the 2,000’ elevation, and as much as 8” up above 3,000’.  We started our session with a tour at Wilderness up to ~2,800’ or so.  Wilderness is 100% natural snow, so the amount of base in many spots was impressive, but the usual windswept or sunny spots were lean on coverage.  Those areas of lean coverage were fine for grassy and/or low angle slopes, but you wouldn’t have wanted to tackle anything steep that didn’t have existing base.

I’d say the very best snow we encountered yesterday was on Alta Vista – the ridgeline and skier’s right of the headwall were windswept as usual, the protected left side of the headwall held some nice, semi-packed snow.  Below that though was the real gold mine.  They had groomed the skier’s left of the trail, but the skier’s right held about 8 inches of chowder that was mostly bottomless, and we couldn’t believe how good the skiing was there.  We were wishing they hadn’t groomed anywhere if it could have meant the snow would have been like that.  The Vista Quad was on wind hold until about midday though, so we were up on Alta Vista not too long after the lift started running, and I think that helped set up the incredible snow quality there.

02APR22A.thumb.jpg.69af3edfaaa82766100962d7793c3bc3.jpg

02APR22B.thumb.jpg.6a980c4bd52ce48a28e1ab02bf296501.jpg

02APR22C.thumb.jpg.8faf4fc6f417bfc3e12d5e42e853575e.jpg

02APR22E.thumb.jpg.091ccd9eac3c2ec793f0ad75bf190893.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J.Spin said:

my wife and I headed up to Bolton for a session yesterday with our older son, who is back from school on spring break.

Gosh, I'm feeling old. I remember reading reports from you when your kids were in the single digits. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Angus said:

Gosh, I'm feeling old. I remember reading reports from you when your kids were in the single digits. 

Yeah, I guess one positive way to think about it is that they have a lot of ski days under their belts, and they'll have those skills for a lifetime.  My son said he had what was probably his best Telemark day ever in terms of comfort level and confidence with his turns, so they're still learning and improving, even at this age.