Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread 2021/2022

PhineasC

19 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Wild to have the deepest snow of season in the upper elevations while it’s so green in the valleys.  I love this time of year.

First above average snow depth reading since the first week of December :lol:.

Storm Totals:

3,800ft… 15” (depth from 47” to 62”)

3,100ft… 13”

1,500ft… 8”

19 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Really unique late season period over there for sure. I just hope NH dries out before I come back up in May.

I’m not sure I’d say this late season is all that unique specifically – it’s April being exactly like April, and I think April snowfall and number of storms thus far are probably average at best?  We’re still a few inches behind average snowfall for April at our site, so it’s probably something similar for the mountains, but PF might have his April stats to know for sure.

Maybe the season as a whole is a little more unique because of the way the snowpack caught back up to average at this time of year, but I’m sure similar things have happened before with the way these spring storms can drop so much liquid equivalent.

That's quite the upslope signal emerging from Wednesday through Friday and potentially lingering into early Saturday. Long duration event with substantial QPF. 850 temps get quite low for this time of the year as well (down to -10C for a bit) so this one is going to be fun in the higher terrain. The snowpack at 4000' in the White Mountains has been amazingly unwavering for the majority of the season...essentially holding in the 30-40" range at the Hermit Lake snow plot for the last four months lol. But I wonder if the late week event can actually push some locations to their deepest snowcover of the season.

Historically, the snow depth at 4000' should peak toward the end of March but you only have to go back to 2020 to find a year when it peaked much later. A dry winter followed by a cold and stormy spring will do it. I think the Hermit Lake depth peaked around May 1st in 2020.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jculligan said:

That's quite the upslope signal emerging from Wednesday through Friday and potentially lingering into early Saturday. Long duration event with substantial QPF. 850 temps get quite low for this time of the year as well (down to -10C for a bit) so this one is going to be fun in the higher terrain. The snowpack at 4000' in the White Mountains has been amazingly unwavering for the majority of the season...essentially holding in the 30-40" range at the Hermit Lake snow plot for the last four months lol. But I wonder if the late week event can actually push some locations to their deepest snowcover of the season.

Historically, the snow depth at 4000' should peak toward the end of March but you only have to go back to 2020 to find a year when it peaked much later. A dry winter followed by a cold and stormy spring will do it. I think the Hermit Lake depth peaked around May 1st in 2020.

Yeah Mansfield is still buried above 2,500ft with 50+ inches on the ground at the stake.

The upslope signal is pretty solid.  Look at that low level omega/lift but the dendrite growth zone is above it so it'll likely be dense small flake/graupel type stuff.

download.thumb.png.9ead28c75c3e13deb21ede9d3c7971ac.png

23 hours ago, powderfreak said:

The upslope signal is pretty solid.  Look at that low level omega/lift but the dendrite growth zone is above it so it'll likely be dense small flake/graupel type stuff.

16 hours ago, powderfreak said:

This is a solid signal from the 12z EURO.

A 6-hour panel with greater than 0.30" QPF over the Spine and temps of -2C at 925.  Has it ending as snow even at MVL.

ecmwf-deterministic-vt-t850_mslp_prcp6hr-1107600.thumb.png.99075480edb5d801ef8fbe45ea87174c.png

ecmwf-deterministic-vt-t925-1104000.thumb.png.e9c0d66e2ef7b4dd71685fa9bbc691eb.png

I was just looking out toward the spine and the peaks are hidden because the cloud ceiling seems to be in the 1,500’ – 2,000’ range, but the precipitation was looking like snow, so I checked some of the mountain cams.  I see there’s an inch or two of accumulation at the Sugarbush 3,900’ webcam with snow falling, and it’s even snowing down to ~2,000’ on the webcam at Bolton’s main base.  So it looks like this next storm is underway.

1 hour ago, J.Spin said:

I was just looking out toward the spine and the peaks are hidden because the cloud ceiling seems to be in the 1,500’ – 2,000’ range, but the precipitation was looking like snow, so I checked some of the mountain cams.  I see there’s an inch or two of accumulation at the Sugarbush 3,900’ webcam with snow falling, and it’s even snowing down to ~2,000’ on the webcam at Bolton’s main base.  So it looks like this next storm is underway.

Yeah we flipped to snow around 10am in the Stowe base area at 1,500ft and it's been snow since but nothing is sticking.  Small flakes on very strong winds.  I'd bet we are pushing 40mph gusts in the base area at times.  Water trying to drip off the roof top is actually defying gravity and blowing back up the roof due to the wind, ha.

Lookout Snow Cam is closing in on 2".  I think it's getting hammered by wind up there so accumulations are slow.

https://player.timecam.tv/express/index.html?C=D786BEJG4F5A

Rain changed to snow around 4pm

Also, my exercise bike came today. I assembled it and used it as part of my first home PT session. Yesterday I got a 115 degree bend. 

Recovery will take a bit longer because I used my hamstring tendon for the reconstruction. So my left hamstring needs to heal, and then restrengthen as well...but, so far so good

3-4 inches on ground in Bretton Woods. RT 302 was a disaster. There were tracks going off the road every quarter mile or so. Snowing at some of the heaviest rates of the season and the highest water content. Trees are sagging. Had to drive through some bent over trees coming up my street to get into my driveway

• Thanks 1

Wife and I were at the Matterhorn for dinner and since it's close to the base of the ski area, I of course had to go the 2-3 miles up the road to see what was going on.

It's been snowing even down in the valley since like 3pm but hasn't stuck down at 750ft.  You start to see some accumulation around 1,000ft on this side of the mountain whereas the west slope has much lower accumulation down to 500ft or lower like @Froude posted.

Anyway, up at 1,500ft Barnes Camp boardwalk we took a snowy evening walk to enjoy the wind/snow/cold.  Felt like mid-winter.  Car said 29F.

Found ~2" on the ground in that area.

321106046_April27small.thumb.jpg.9e09c57d97dadfb8976a2164a2d2f1d8.jpg

Roads were a mess above 1,300ft but only because it was so incredibly greasy.  Only like a half inch of slush on the roadway but had very little control as the sub-32F temps finally were icing the road up.  No one around though so could stop in the middle of the state highway and take photos and then drive down the middle of the road, ha.

280423273_April27roadsmall.thumb.jpg.9583129b5d9eb87be7990e9a06e32534.jpg

All in all, dinner at the Matterhorn and a weenie drive home.  Fun evening.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Looks like 3-4 on some surfaces. 29 degrees.

Big elevational gradient this time of year.  Steady snows this evening in the higher ground.  Once temps dipped to 31-29F this evening the snowfall accumulation at that higher 1,500ft level took off.  Radar has been pinwheeling moisture into you and the BW crew.  Add in NW low level flow lift under the radar beam the further west you go on the GYX scans... good stuff for you, Alex and Diane.

Probably better flake size too with colder mid-level lift occurring over there.  Colder temps are higher in the atmosphere, so getting into that larger scale synoptic lift where temps are colder has probably helped.  Fun late season event.

Remote station at Hermit Lake showing 6" of new snow accumulation up there, so this event seems to be smoking the east side as well. I skied King Ravine on Mount Adams this past Sunday, and I'm hoping to ski in the Great Gulf this upcoming Sunday...so keep it coming!!

• Like 1

Looks like a little shy of 10" of new snow at Hermit Lake on the east side of Mount Washington. I figured the western slope would get crushed by upslope, but that's an impressive number for the east side which normally experiences a fair degree of shadowing. There must have been some synoptic stuff going on in addition to the upslope. 40" depth at the plot.

This isn't 2020 when the Hermit Lake plot had a 100" depth on May 1st, but the alpine is way snowier than last year.

Event totals: 0.9” Snow/0.46” L.E.

It was still snowing this morning, so there will be a bit more accumulation to report, but this event has brought about an inch of snow and a half inch of liquid to our site thus far.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.6 inches

New Liquid: 0.03 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 20.0

Snow Density: 5.0% H2O

Temperature: 33.8 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-5 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: Trace