• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dankles
    Newest Member
    Dankles
2021-2022 Fall/Winter Mountains Thread

On 10/17/2021 at 10:28 AM, Met1985 said:

Sweet! Not sure what we get down to at the house.  Ill know later today.  I went to Gatlinburg this weekend and got married! A beautiful weekend down here.

Been a minute since I have checked: Congrats to you and the Mrs.!!  Picked a great time of year to get hitched and to have future anniversary celebrations!

• Like 1

Crisp Fall day across the Smokies where we may not get out of the 40's. Freeze looks good for overnight into tomorrow morning. Low temperatures in the mid to upper 20’s are possible across the Valley. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Maggie Ace said:

Crisp Fall day across the Smokies where we may not get out of the 40's. Freeze looks good for overnight into tomorrow morning. Low temperatures in the mid to upper 20’s are possible across the Valley. 

Yeah that's what im thinking.  Man I love this type of weather finally rolling in. Going to be a beautiful evening this evening to sit around the fire. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Maggie Ace said:

31 at the house for the morning low. Frost is heavy down to the Valley floor. Looking like we are right at peak for the Fall leaf season here in Maggie. 

Now that says Fall right there. beautiful

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SnoJoe said:

Nice Pics! Color around Yancey has really come out this week.

Lord, I bet your driveway is scary in winter.

Actually it's manageable. I purchased 200 lbs of salt this month from Tractor Supply. That should last unless we get some crazy winter weather. The Wolly Worms are solid black so we will see!;)

• Like 2

I'm getting a bit more interested in the pattern developing this time next week. The ECMWF and its ensembles are hinting the potential for much colder air with a storm system near the Mountains next Thursday night into Friday. Perhaps we get a decent NWFS event and the real start of snow making for the ski areas. 

• Like 2

I'm getting a bit more interested in the pattern developing this time next week. The ECMWF and its ensembles are hinting the potential for much colder air with a storm system near the Mountains next Thursday night into Friday. Perhaps we get a decent NWFS event and the real start of snow making for the ski areas. 
You're talking my language now!

Anyone catch that amazing sunrise this morning?8bad9ec75e146b913edface05d3e2088.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

They are getting snow on top of Beech ski mountain.  First flakes of the season.

Awesome!!!  We have an Air B&B booked for 4 days next weekend up there and I'm drooling over those snowflakes on my 10 day forecast.  This is getting good!

• Like 2

Not surprising. I was out and about hitting some waterfalls with color today and it was COLD.

This is one of the best years for color I've seen, though. 8c3d68b096365e61b42a6aa90266ad01.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Very nice shot man! I agree, it took 41 years for me to witness a fall like this and I have thoroughly enjoyed it. b14880bcfed0e800f06562214ec463ed.jpg7031a54838436db4d14be338cadee493.jpg40fba0e9d856bc95a99c66d457b0e60e.jpg

• Like 8

I've got to say after some nay saying about this year's Fall leaf season being blah, the colors today across our Valley are spectacular. Truly thankful that I've witnessed it. The Town of Maggie Valley were putting up their annual Christmas decorations along Soco Rd today. Winter is coming!

• Like 3

Thanks for sharing the amazing views everyone I've got my day trips all mapped out for the weekend and can't wait to photograph the beautiful colors  :wub:  
Let me know if you find yourself around Burnsville or Yancey County, I'll give ya easy directions to the color.

I see there's a little snow in my NWS forecast late next week.

• Thanks 1

Quite the pattern coming up for WNC into early November.  Time to start watching the EPS members.  Hints of a decent snowfall chance for those above 3500' Wednesday night and into Thursday then a gulf low develops to end the weekend.  GFS and Euro both show the Gulf low, but limited cold air.  Last frame of the 0z Euro shows mixing occurring to the valley floor in Haywood late next Sunday.  Obviously a long range run which doesn't mean much, but it does look like a Gulf low will be possible.  Winter weather tracking begins!

• Like 7

Quite the pattern coming up for WNC into early November.  Time to start watching the EPS members.  Hints of a decent snowfall chance for those above 3500' Wednesday night and into Thursday then a gulf low develops to end the weekend.  GFS and Euro both show the Gulf low, but limited cold air.  Last frame of the 0z Euro shows mixing occurring to the valley floor in Haywood late next Sunday.  Obviously a long range run which doesn't mean much, but it does look like a Gulf low will be possible.  Winter weather tracking begins!
Hey congrats on the building success and engagement my man! Good to see you post.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

Let me know if you find yourself around Burnsville or Yancey County, I'll give ya easy directions to the color.

I see there's a little snow in my NWS forecast late next week.

Thank you! I appreciate your insider tip! I hope to be up that way Sunday and will message you  :hug:

4 minutes ago, Hvward said:

I look forward to the first miller a of the year that usually happens around halloween. While it's still too early for most, it kicks off the best time of the year :wub:

• Like 1

I'll be sitting on my rented deck, beside my rented fire next weekend flying my drone all over the place from 4,300ft on up.  I would be ecstatic to have some snowflakes mixing in with any remaining color.  Man I hope I timed this long weekend correctly!