Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    16,915
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    seodirect
    Newest Member
    seodirect
    Joined

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, laferri2 said:

I love hurricane discussions on here, there's always one group of people saying the hurricane is looking weak and one group saying it looks like it's getting stronger. Both groups are looking at the same radar. :lol:

Lots of wishcasting going on.

OK who agrees?

My wish:

Ida gets her eye and RIs into a Cat 5, reaches near the LA coast to justify evacuation but not that bad and shifts east staying offshore bringing fun and excitement to the Florida Gulf coast (not too bad, but thrilling even for Tampa Bay), then moving west to the Texas coast giving everybody a taste there maintaining a perfect eye, then going east through the channel between Cuba and Florida allowing the Keys and Miami to have some fun, up the eastern coast brushing Cape Hatteras intensely (they are used to it, can handle it, and love it) then drifting up the east coast past VA and sitting for a day or so off NJ becoming a Cat 5 sub-tropical Hurricane and slamming NJ so nobody will ever mention Sandy again. 

A perfect eye the entire week long adventure.

Right? :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Hotair said:

Remember how FEMA provided trailers after Katrina?  In 2019 FEMA sold another batch of trailers that were never used.  They cost taxpayers an average of $ 65k each and were auctioned off starting at just $100

https://www.wjhg.com/content/news/FEMA-trailers-stored-at-Texas-airport-being-auctioned-off-for-a-fraction-of-what-they-cost-505664771.html

Wait until you discover the defense budget

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Tezeta said:

Wait until you discover the defense budget

I know I know.   Just amazed how they justify spending 65k on a trailer when you can put a family in a hotel room for 3k a month or less. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Prospero said:

OK who agrees?

My wish:

Ida gets her eye and RIs into a Cat 5, reaches near the LA coast to justify evacuation but not that bad and shifts east staying offshore bringing fun and excitement to the Florida Gulf coast (not too bad, but thrilling even for Tampa Bay), then moving west to the Texas coast giving everybody a taste there maintaining a perfect eye, then going east through the channel between Cuba and Florida allowing the Keys and Miami to have some fun, up the eastern coast brushing Cape Hatteras intensely (they are used to it, can handle it, and love it) then drifting up the east coast past VA and sitting for a day or so off NJ becoming a Cat 5 sub-tropical Hurricane and slamming NJ so nobody will ever mention Sandy again. 

A perfect eye the entire week long adventure.

Right? :)

As long as it permanently disables your internet, I'm in.. 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Prospero said:

Ida, she/it is trying like hell to get that hot energy from the Gulf into the atmosphere where it belongs.

What is the the cool spot? Dry air??

image.png.4488fd1fd7d7e8d29e4bee98c86c4176.png

Leftover radar attenuation from Laura

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Hotair said:

I know I know.   Just amazed how they justify spending 65k on a trailer when you can put a family in a hotel room for 3k a month or less. 

Politically connected people own the companies that provide these trailers. It’s just classic American grift. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

WRF and HMON have both  returned nearly identical onshore trajectories that put landfall west of NO.  Does anyone know if the longitude they were initialized under is still valid or has Ida wobbled further East since those runs ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, dseagull said:

Absolutely. But... when your city sits 1-2 meters below sea level, the decision to at least evacuate the low lying areas yesterday should have been a no brainer.  16 years ago should still be fresh in the minds of the mayor and her administration.  There really is no excuse. 

the storm intensified too rapidly to make that logistically possible. how on earth is that her fault?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Hotair said:

Remember how FEMA provided trailers after Katrina?  In 2019 FEMA sold another batch of trailers that were never used.  They cost taxpayers an average of $ 65k each and were auctioned off starting at just $100

https://www.wjhg.com/content/news/FEMA-trailers-stored-at-Texas-airport-being-auctioned-off-for-a-fraction-of-what-they-cost-505664771.html

first, that has nothing to do with Katrina--those were trailers provided in the wake of Harvey.  not sure why selling them for $100 is more offensive than giving them away for free.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Tezeta said:

Key west radar down, hurricane hunters turn around, Baton Rouge weather transmitter out…our infrastructure is so jacked…

Did anyone notice the Tampa radar was down the day Fred might have come by. I sure did. Annoying.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

the storm intensified too rapidly to make that logistically possible. how on earth is that her fault?

Read my other posts.  Like I said, she was damned whether she made the decision to evacuate or not.  And yes,  her team bears some responsibility as well.  Sometimes thers is no great solution. Either way, she is the face of the city, and as such, will take the blunt of the blame game no matter the outcome.  Quick moving storms that strengthen quickly are always going to be a problem, even if model consensus is aligned. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, dseagull said:

Read my other posts.  Like I said, she was damned whether she made the decision to evacuate or not.  And yes,  her team bears some responsibility as well.  Sometimes thers is no great solution. Either way, she is the face of the city, and as such, will take the blunt of the blame game no matter the outcome.  Quick moving storms that strengthen quickly are always going to be a problem, even if model consensus is aligned. 

the governor and the NWS told her she didn't have time to issue the order because of the speed of the storm. how does she deserve blame for doing what experts advised?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

first, that has nothing to do with Katrina--those were trailers provided in the wake of Harvey.  not sure why selling them for $100 is more offensive than giving them away for free.

I didn’t say these were the Katrina trailers.  Katrina started the whole FEMA trailer business.  They just continue to buy trailers and then dispose of them when they are not needed.  I was suggesting that they should have kept those trailers instead of selling them as surplus cause I’m sure they will be needed again after next week 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Again, whether she deserves the blame or not is a moot point.  She will recieve it regardless, as she is the face of the city.  The people she represents don't care who makes the decisions.  They expect solutions to problems from their mayor.  It's how politics work.  Not trying to argue, was offering my opinion. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Prospero said:

OK who agrees?

My wish:

Ida gets her eye and RIs into a Cat 5, reaches near the LA coast to justify evacuation but not that bad and shifts east staying offshore bringing fun and excitement to the Florida Gulf coast (not too bad, but thrilling even for Tampa Bay), then moving west to the Texas coast giving everybody a taste there maintaining a perfect eye, then going east through the channel between Cuba and Florida allowing the Keys and Miami to have some fun, up the eastern coast brushing Cape Hatteras intensely (they are used to it, can handle it, and love it) then drifting up the east coast past VA and sitting for a day or so off NJ becoming a Cat 5 sub-tropical Hurricane and slamming NJ so nobody will ever mention Sandy again. 

A perfect eye the entire week long adventure.

Right? :)

Finally!!  Some actual authentic banter about Ida.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e472r3n98ysbzkg3xfkd0

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, dseagull said:

Again, whether she deserves the blame or not is a moot point.  She will recieve it regardless, as she is the face of the city.  The people she represents don't care who makes the decisions.  They expect solutions to problems from their mayor.  It's how politics work.  Not trying to argue, was offering my opinion. 

To err is human. To blame someone else is politics.

Hubert H. Humphrey

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

the governor and the NWS told her she didn't have time to issue the order because of the speed of the storm. how does she deserve blame for doing what experts advised?

But she went ahead and issues the order today. One day later.  Help me understand how enough time became available one day later? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Hotair said:

I didn’t say these were the Katrina trailers.  Katrina started the whole FEMA trailer business.  They just continue to buy trailers and then dispose of them when they are not needed.  I was suggesting that they should have kept those trailers instead of selling them as surplus cause I’m sure they will be needed again after next week 

did you bother to read the link, where the reason is explained, or did you just rush here breathlessly from Gab when you saw it posted?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

__

2 minutes ago, dseagull said:

Again, whether she deserves the blame or not is a moot point.  She will recieve it regardless, as she is the face of the city.  The people she represents don't care who makes the decisions.  They expect solutions to problems from their mayor.  It's how politics work.  Not trying to argue, was offering my opinion. 

 I can guess why some people are so eager to do so even though there is no reason to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Hotair said:

But she went ahead and issues the order today. One day later.  Help me understand how enough time became available one day later? 

p sure you don't know what you are talking about. I'd quit while I was ahead if i were you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...