• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Elsa

WxWatcher007

My wife and I just rolled in our SunSetter canopy. We haven't done that since Hurricane Eta last November.
I'll take down bird feeders later today, but moving vulnerable potted plants to more secure areas now. Wind chines have to go down.

Don’t forget to lock the doors

Definitely making an attempt at a formative eyewall this hour. Wrapping some convection to the NW side of the circulation. Some pretty significant wind reports from the keys indicate it would not take a terrible amount of intensification for this to briefly become a minimal cane. Definitely would have the half-a-cane look though 

F3E5AEB4-84C5-404D-AE2E-3C318BE3F28E.png

Definitely making an attempt at a formative eyewall this hour. Wrapping some convection to the NW side of the circulation. Some pretty significant wind reports from the keys indicate it would not take a terrible amount of intensification for this to briefly become a minimal cane. Definitely would have the half-a-cane look though 
F3E5AEB4-84C5-404D-AE2E-3C318BE3F28E.png.c23ca08b96eb7e1a468b62937ea92132.png
Yeah man, borderline Cat 2 winds ~4800ft above the surface

Sent from my LGL322DL using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Sandstorm94 said:

Yeah man, borderline Cat 2 winds ~4800ft above the surface

Sent from my LGL322DL using Tapatalk

Yea the radar velocities would seem to indicate that this is likely a hurricane, and if this storm continues to pull *some* convection westward enough to maintain that strong band near the center, the hurricane hunters will likely verify this is a minimal hurricane at this juncture. I’m pretty sure this is about the ceiling for Elsa though and that “eyewall” is very fragile. This will likely go through periods where the shear wins and it erodes just to have another convective burst make another attempt. In other words, she’s likely a minimal hurricane right now and I’d be expecting fluctuations in intensity through landfall though I could also see weakening once it passes Tampa and a lot of the circulation moves on land. Impacts will be the same regardless 

7 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Yea the radar velocities would seem to indicate that this is likely a hurricane, and if this storm continues to pull *some* convection westward enough to maintain that strong band near the center, the hurricane hunters will likely verify this is a minimal hurricane at this juncture. I’m pretty sure this is about the ceiling for Elsa though and that “eyewall” is very fragile. This will likely go through periods where the shear wins and it erodes just to have another convective burst make another attempt. In other words, she’s likely a minimal hurricane right now and I’d be expecting fluctuations in intensity through landfall though I could also see weakening once it passes Tampa and a lot of the circulation moves on land. Impacts will be the same regardless 

I figure they will be conservative and call it a 70 mph TS, even if there is reasonable evidence to upgrade, for this very reason. They don't want to have to downgrade a few hours later and confuse the public.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, olafminesaw said:

I figure they will be conservative and call it a 70 mph TS, even if there is reasonable evidence to upgrade, for this very reason. They don't want to have to downgrade a few hours later and confuse the public.

And not one part of me would disagree unless they find definitive hurricane force winds at the time of the flight: call it what it is. I’m glad they held off, likely for the reason above, about increasing wind speeds based purely on radar data earlier. I think this storms window to be a hurricane is short. Increasing shear, decreasing oceanic heat content, and increasing influence from the eastern circulation being ashore means it has between now and when it passes offshore or near tampa to be a hurricane

• Like 1

Highly Asymmetrical appearance; highly asymmetrical impacts. You could be 25 miles west of the center and be experiencing much better weather than those who are 150 miles to the east.

For all the disorganization Elsa is maximizing impact by maintaining the center off shore allowing tropical storm impacts to affect the entire west coast of Fla. The eastern side is also aligned with the background flow, adding to the surface wind-speeds.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Double Action said:

NHC nudged east. Anyone in Tampa wanting to see what a strong TS is like is going to get their wish. This one is coming closer to us than ETA and could be a direct hit.  

Stronger more stacked cylclone= greater influence from mid level/upper level steering flow out of SW, more easterly track.

Weak/exposed system= LLC riding more easterly components in low level steering flow, coc much further west

Impacts for Tampa will be same regardless and likely maximized if the COC goes west of there by 20 miles bc that puts the strongest banding over the bay/city

41 minutes ago, Double Action said:

NHC nudged east. Anyone in Tampa wanting to see what a strong TS is like is going to get their wish. This one is coming closer to us than ETA and could be a direct hit.  

I love a good storm, but a little concerned. Hermine, Irma, and Eta took out any weak trees in and next to our yard so what we have left (two very large strong Live Oaks) should hold up pretty well. Yet still a lot of their old branches will fall and some of them can be heavy indeed.

The power grid is much better since Irma as Duke rebuilt much of it, but still expecting power to go out. I just hope its not weeks for it to come back on like with Irma.

19 minutes ago, Prospero said:

I love a good storm, but a little concerned. Hermine, Irma, and Eta took out any weak trees in and next to our yard so what we have left (two very large strong Live Oaks) should hold up pretty well. Yet still a lot of their old branches will fall and some of them can be heavy indeed.

The power grid is much better since Irma as Duke rebuilt much of it, but still expecting power to go out. I just hope its not weeks for it to come back on like with Irma.

Do yourself a favor and purchase a portable generator, you can't go wrong.

Really unfortunate to see signs of intensification beating back the dry air and shear.  

This track was going to be bad news for the TB region as a tropical storm, and we don’t need a stronger system.  Out of town for Elsa so just an observer for this one.

8 minutes ago, TPAwx said:

Really unfortunate to see signs of intensification beating back the dry air and shear.  

This track was going to be bad news for the TB region as a tropical storm, and we don’t need a stronger system.  Out of town for Elsa so just an observer for this one.

Even though Elsa looks ragged on satellite and radar, it's a gulf storm. We've seen time and time again where storms go into the gulf bathwater and either spin up or can fight off relatively hostile conditions. 

I had my hopes up earlier Elsa would stay clear to the west and remain under 50mph. Now I’m not so sure and Tampa looks to be on the wrong end of her stick.  I’m off to batten down the hatches and secure the yard 

WTNT65 KNHC 061745
TCUAT5

Tropical Storm Elsa Tropical Cyclone Update
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL       AL052021
145 PM EDT Tue Jul 06 2021

...RECON FINDS ELSA STRONGER...

Recent Air Force Reserve hurricane hunter aircraft data indicate 
that the Elsa has strengthened and maximum sustained winds are 
estimated to be 70 mph (110 km/h) with higher gusts. A special 
advisory will be issued within the hour in place of the intermediate 
advisory to reflect this change and to issue a hurricane warning for 
a portion of the west coast of Florida.

SUMMARY OF 145 PM EDT...1745 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...25.4N 83.0W
ABOUT 95 MI...150 KM NW OF KEY WEST FLORIDA
ABOUT 180 MI...290 KM S OF TAMPA FLORIDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...70 MPH...95 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNW OR 325 DEGREES AT 10 MPH...17 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...1000 MB...29.53 INCHES

$$
Forecaster Pasch/Brown/Papin

2 hours ago, Double Action said:

I’m in Tampa Bay and I definitely wasn’t wishing for it to move east more or be stronger than a TS. Hoping for the best! I just don’t want to lose power! Stay safe all!