Total Members
    Most Online
    R. Venson
    Newest Member
    R. Venson
Met Summer Banter

20 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

CDC own publication says maybe 1.5%. Basically down in the noise 

Purely observational, was it a combo of masking and hygiene theater that seemed to completely nip any sickness at all out last winter?  Many people seemed to have their healthiest winter ever… not even a minor sniffle.  I just know that from ski areas being absolute cesspools of sicknesses in winter (basically thousands of people a day with runny noses spraying droplets everywhere) from rental shops to ski school classes to lodges…. literally seemed no one got sick at all from anything.

Or maybe it’s as simple as high self awareness that if you don’t feel right you stayed home when in the past you’d still go out for your ski day or work day?  Combo of all of the factors working together?

I see the studies on masking but I just can’t deny how little sickness there was last winter or any kind at all.

• Like 2

Just now, PhineasC said:

Does anyone want me back yet? LOL

Haha, I was just thinking as soon as Trix showed up you vanished.  That would be one helluva conspiracy theory… schizophrenia.  One part is Trix and the alter ego is Phin and they battle COVID all day long inside a single human brain.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Purely observational, was it a combo of masking and hygiene theater that seemed to completely nip any sickness at all out last winter?  Many people seemed to have their healthiest winter ever… not even a minor sniffle.  I just know that from ski areas being absolute cesspools of sicknesses in winter (basically thousands of people a day with runny noses spraying droplets everywhere) from rental shops to ski school classes to lodges…. literally seemed no one got sick at all from anything.

Or maybe it’s as simple as high self awareness that if you don’t feel right you stayed home when in the past you’d still go out for your ski day or work day?  Combo of all of the factors working together?

I see the studies on masking but I just can’t deny how little sickness there was last winter or any kind at all.

I think the best done mask study in terms of RCT on a population level was the Danish one imo. There was a 23% risk reduction... unfortunately they powered the study before hand to find statistical significant at 50%. 

The biological plausibility is all there on an individual level. Maybe it gets more washed out when people don't wear them properly and touch them too much. 

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

wow, you’re right:  no sickness at all last winter:

AA96AB18-091F-409A-B9FF-83143F968E8C.png

• Weenie 3

45 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

The New York Times data suggests that the split between mandate and non-mandate counties is far from clean. In fact, nearly two-thirds of the respondents in counties without mandates report either frequently or always wearing masks during early July. Moreover, according to the Times data, many counties without mandates experienced more mask use than others with mandates. This fact, however, is lost when the data is weighted across the Kansas population because heavily populated counties are highly influential in the computation of the associated weighted average. At the very least, the Times data suggest that many people wore masks even in the absence of government mandates to do so.

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Haha, I was just thinking as soon as Trix showed up you vanished.  That would be one helluva conspiracy theory… schizophrenia.  One part is Trix and the alter ego is Phin and they battle COVID all day long inside a single human brain.  

I'd bet this Trixie character is not even a woman, probably is an anti vaxx Trump nut.   LOLOLOLOLOL

• Weenie 1

6 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

I think the best done mask study in terms of RCT on a population level was the Danish one imo. There was a 23% risk reduction... unfortunately they powered the study before hand to find statistical significant at 50%. 

The biological plausibility is all there on an individual level. Maybe it gets more washed out when people don't wear them properly and touch them too much. 

I would think it with n95 it would be higher then 23% and with those flimsy cloth masks practically non-existent.

3 minutes ago, kdxken said:

I would think it with n95 it would be higher then 23% and with those flimsy cloth masks practically non-existent.

This was a community mask study. They were all flimsy cloth masks. I think there should have been more of an effort to get n95s to essential workers but alas. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

wow, you’re right:  no sickness at all last winter:

AA96AB18-091F-409A-B9FF-83143F968E8C.png

I’m just stating what we saw up here in a place where hundreds of thousands of people visit each winter and folks routinely get smoked by various sicknesses every winter.  The number of call outs due to illness was all-time low.  No one puking in the bathroom from stomach bugs, no hoarse throats, no strep, no mono, … yes I’m aware people were getting COVID but I know I’m not the only one who noticed a vast reduction in the normal wintertime illnesses.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kdxken said:

I'm waiting for some factbase reply. Never comes from these liberals. Name-calling is all they're capable of.

It’s always crazy how few people seem to understand that calling someone names, stupid, or even insinuating it with hyperbole just negates their whole argument.

It’s rampant in politics these days.  When all else fails, revert back to your 2nd grade survival skills… put ‘em down with scary words!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, kdxken said:

I'm waiting for some factbase reply. Never comes from these liberals. Name-calling is all they're capable of.

NPR didn't do the study--CDC did. you posted a Heritage Foundation piece that agreed with the study but then nitpicked some non-science issues:

Our analysis does not deny the efficacy of mask wearing per se, nor should it discourage the practice. In fact, mask use during the pandemic has been recommended by The Heritage Foundation’s Coronavirus Commission guidelines. However, our findings do suggest that public health strategies relying predominantly on mask mandates are inadequate, and thus other initiatives, in addition to mask wearing, should have been a component of policies aimed to limit the spread of the disease.

• Thanks 2
  • Weenie 1

17 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I’m just stating what we saw up here in a place where hundreds of thousands of people visit each winter and folks routinely get smoked by various sicknesses every winter.  The number of call outs due to illness was all-time low.  No one puking in the bathroom from stomach bugs, no hoarse throats, no strep, no mono, … yes I’m aware people were getting COVID but I know I’m not the only one who noticed a vast reduction in the normal wintertime illnesses.  

it's surprising that mask-wearing, hand-washing, and physical distancing cut down on viral transmission?

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

12 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Well starting the 11th my work is back to wearing masks full time. We have over 20k employees. Substantial/high risk according to this map have to wear mask. Was fun while it lasted. 

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#datatracker-home

Join the club. 
Nobody really does where I am. We keep them down around our chin unless we get up and move around. The day after the mandate went back, everybody who could stayed home again. We went from about 30% occupancy back down to about 10%. Why go in and wear the stupid thing when you can sit home on Zoom.

• Sad 1