Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    16,788
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    johnduzzee
    Newest Member
    johnduzzee
    Joined

June 2021 General Discussion


 Share

Recommended Posts

Chicago received no measurable precipitation between June 1-7 (yeah, technically it's still the 7th for a little while, but it ain't gonna rain).

It is only the 9th time that Chicago has not received at least 0.01" in the first 7 days of June, which makes it close to a 1 in 17 year occurrence on average over the period of record, though it has started happening more often in the past several decades.  The other 8 years without measurable precip in the first week of June are 1873, 1922, 1929, 1976, 1988, 1994, 2006, 2017.

Sometimes there is some luck involved -- for example, the unofficial site of Midway Airport had 0.01" between June 1-7.  So if we broaden it out to less than 0.10" in the first 7 days of June, that has happened 26 times.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Chicago received no measurable precipitation between June 1-7 (yeah, technically it's still the 7th for a little while, but it ain't gonna rain).

It is only the 9th time that Chicago has not received at least 0.01" in the first 7 days of June, which makes it close to a 1 in 17 year occurrence on average over the period of record, though it has started happening more often in the past several decades.  The other 8 years without measurable precip in the first week of June are 1873, 1922, 1929, 1976, 1988, 1994, 2006, 2017.

Sometimes there is some luck involved -- for example, the unofficial site of Midway Airport had 0.01" between June 1-7.  So if we broaden it out to less than 0.10" in the first 7 days of June, that has happened 26 times.

A local met said this is the first year since 1976 in which Cedar Rapids recorded no rainfall during the first week of June.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

10:40pm and still 88 out. This heat is getting insane just like my electric bill will soon be.

Just looked at the data up there. We’ll see how the rest of June plays out but there’s at least solid potential for a truly alarming record to be set at MSP re: mean temperature for the month of June.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, frostfern said:

About 0.7" here.  Half of it fell almost at once under a tiny cell, but more widespread lighter rains are also adding up now.

0.11" total here.  I heard parts of Allegan County got over 2".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, WestMichigan said:

0.11" total here.  I heard parts of Allegan County got over 2".

An extremely localized cloud burst did most of it here.  There is one swath from Allegan up through downtown and a few cloudburst spots south and east.  One popped up near east grand rapids and dumped for 5 minutes or so adding a half inch almost instantly.  The more general light rain band was only 0.1 to 0.2.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, A-L-E-K said:

it has been nice but the zzzzs are getting hard to take

 

naso hyped for our new san diego climo

Here it's Tampa Bay climo.  Waiting for something to pop up.  Whatever showers form will probably rain themselves out in the same location they formed.  Virtually zero wind field today.  Good setup for more 2.5" bullseyes with 0.05" 5 miles away... just like yesterday.  There's enough instability for lightning if something can get going enough.  Didn't hear anything yesterday as it was all pretty shallow showers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

The opening week of June was the 5th warmest on record for Chicago, and the warmest since 1971.

Warmest on record at MSP by 2.4 degrees

2nd warmest at Milwaukee and Green Bay, WI (1925)

5th warmest at Madison, WI (warmest since 1963)

Warmest at La Crosse, WI by nearly 2 degrees

Warmest at Duluth, MN by 2.7 degrees

All of these periods of record date back to the 1800s. The last two entries on this list I would imagine are significantly less prone to UHI than the others, and they completely rewrote the record books by a huge margin. It’s not all UHI, and I would argue it’s not even primarily UHI.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, frostfern said:

Here it's Tampa Bay climo.  Waiting for something to pop up.  Whatever showers form will probably rain themselves out in the same location they formed.  Virtually zero wind field today.  Good setup for more 2.5" bullseyes with 0.05" 5 miles away... just like yesterday.  There's enough instability for lightning if something can get going enough.  Didn't hear anything yesterday as it was all pretty shallow showers.

Same down here. Stifling humidity. Picked 0.59" yesterday evening in less than an hour, anther 0.32" early this morning, had some more rain this afternoon, but haven't checked the gauge, and another line along I 70 that might get to us before dark. But no lightning. As Joel said the other day, the sub has the haves and have-nots. I am a have and my garden appreciates it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

LOL

CITY           SKY/WX    TMP DP  RH WIND       PRES   REMARKS
GARY*          SUNNY     82  70  65 NE7       30.02F
VALPARAISO     MOSUNNY   84  66  54 W6        30.03F
MICHIGAN CITY* MOSUNNY   82  72  69 W5        30.03F
LAPORTE*       MOSUNNY   82  69  64 CALM      30.04F
KNOX*          PTSUNNY   82  70  65 CALM      30.02F
SOUTH BEND     MOSUNNY   85  66  53 CALM      30.03F
ELKHART*       PTSUNNY   77  70  78 SE6       30.04F
GOSHEN         PTSUNNY   83  69  62 S6        30.04F
MONTICELLO*    MOSUNNY   83  69  62 S7        30.02F
LOGANSPORT*    MOSUNNY   82  64  54 SW7       30.05F
ROCHESTER*     MOSUNNY   84  68  58 SE6       30.05S
PLYMOUTH*      PTSUNNY   75  70  83 W7        30.04R
WARSAW*        HVY RAIN  79  68  69 W8        30.05S
AUBURN*        PTSUNNY   73  70  88 SW5       30.08R
FORT WAYNE     PTSUNNY   78  72  81 SW10      30.07F
HUNTINGTON*    PTSUNNY   77  70  79 SW7       30.06F
PERU/GRISSOM   MOSUNNY   83  72  69 S9        30.04F
CITY           SKY/WX    TMP DP  RH WIND       PRES   REMARKS
LAFAYETTE      MOSUNNY   91  69  48 VRB7      30.02F HX  96
KOKOMO*        CLOUDY    78  74  87 SE9       30.06F
MARION*        PTSUNNY   80  70  71 SW7       30.07F
MUNCIE*        MOSUNNY   82  70  66 SW8       30.06F
PORTLAND*      PTSUNNY   79  64  61 SW7       30.07F
INDIANAPOLIS   PTSUNNY   80  71  74 S14       30.06F

 

Spartman needs to move to LAF

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TimB84 said:

Warmest on record at MSP by 2.4 degrees

2nd warmest at Milwaukee and Green Bay, WI (1925)

5th warmest at Madison, WI (warmest since 1963)

Warmest at La Crosse, WI by nearly 2 degrees

Warmest at Duluth, MN by 2.7 degrees

All of these periods of record date back to the 1800s. The last two entries on this list I would imagine are significantly less prone to UHI than the others, and they completely rewrote the record books by a huge margin. It’s not all UHI, and I would argue it’s not even primarily UHI.

I looked at Duluth, and LaCrosse. They have NWS records and Arpt records that are in close proximity to each other. Here's what the difference is in the first 7 days avg.

Duluth Arpt: 71.0  Duluth NWS: 68.7

LaCrosse Arpt: 78.6  Lacrosse WFO: 73.5

I also looked at Mpls Arpt, and Chanhassen WFO. They are further apart, and the NWS office is in the burbs W of the Arpt.

Mpls Arpt: 80.3  Chanhassen WFO: 76.5

 

Edit: Looked at Madison Arpt, and UW of Madison. They are a little further apart, as well.

Madison Arpt: 74.4  UW of Madison: 71.8

Airports seem to be running a little hotter than other sites.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IWXwx said:

LOL

CITY           SKY/WX    TMP DP  RH WIND       PRES   REMARKS
GARY*          SUNNY     82  70  65 NE7       30.02F
VALPARAISO     MOSUNNY   84  66  54 W6        30.03F
MICHIGAN CITY* MOSUNNY   82  72  69 W5        30.03F
LAPORTE*       MOSUNNY   82  69  64 CALM      30.04F
KNOX*          PTSUNNY   82  70  65 CALM      30.02F
SOUTH BEND     MOSUNNY   85  66  53 CALM      30.03F
ELKHART*       PTSUNNY   77  70  78 SE6       30.04F
GOSHEN         PTSUNNY   83  69  62 S6        30.04F
MONTICELLO*    MOSUNNY   83  69  62 S7        30.02F
LOGANSPORT*    MOSUNNY   82  64  54 SW7       30.05F
ROCHESTER*     MOSUNNY   84  68  58 SE6       30.05S
PLYMOUTH*      PTSUNNY   75  70  83 W7        30.04R
WARSAW*        HVY RAIN  79  68  69 W8        30.05S
AUBURN*        PTSUNNY   73  70  88 SW5       30.08R
FORT WAYNE     PTSUNNY   78  72  81 SW10      30.07F
HUNTINGTON*    PTSUNNY   77  70  79 SW7       30.06F
PERU/GRISSOM   MOSUNNY   83  72  69 S9        30.04F
CITY           SKY/WX    TMP DP  RH WIND       PRES   REMARKS
LAFAYETTE      MOSUNNY   91  69  48 VRB7      30.02F HX  96
KOKOMO*        CLOUDY    78  74  87 SE9       30.06F
MARION*        PTSUNNY   80  70  71 SW7       30.07F
MUNCIE*        MOSUNNY   82  70  66 SW8       30.06F
PORTLAND*      PTSUNNY   79  64  61 SW7       30.07F
INDIANAPOLIS   PTSUNNY   80  71  74 S14       30.06F

 

Spartman needs to move to LAF

May need a 1 county heat headline for the LAF area at some point this summer.  :P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Brian D said:

I looked at Duluth, and LaCrosse. They have NWS records and Arpt records that are in close proximity to each other. Here's what the difference is in the first 7 days avg.

Duluth Arpt: 71.0  Duluth NWS: 68.7

LaCrosse Arpt: 78.6  Lacrosse WFO: 73.5

I also looked at Mpls Arpt, and Chanhassen WFO. They are further apart, and the NWS office is in the burbs W of the Arpt.

Mpls Arpt: 80.3  Chanhassen WFO: 76.5

 

Edit: Looked at Madison Arpt, and UW of Madison. They are a little further apart, as well.

Madison Arpt: 74.4  UW of Madison: 71.8

Airports seem to be running a little hotter than other sites.

That’s quite interesting. None of those are particularly large airports, with the exception of MSP. As UHI effects go, I don’t know much about La Crosse or Duluth, but I know UW-Madison is basically downtown while the airport is way out on the east side, so it’s interesting that the airport would run so much warmer, especially being the small regional airport that it is. With that being said, it does appear that records at La Crosse airport date back to 1938, so I would say it’s valid to compare any data from then to now. But I’m wondering if it’s maybe more of a geographical thing than a UHI thing, at least in that case.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

That’s quite interesting. None of those are particularly large airports, with the exception of MSP. As UHI effects go, I don’t know much about La Crosse or Duluth, but I know UW-Madison is basically downtown while the airport is way out on the east side, so it’s interesting that the airport would run so much warmer, especially being the small regional airport that it is. With that being said, it does appear that records at La Crosse airport date back to 1938, so I would say it’s valid to compare any data from then to now. But I’m wondering if it’s maybe more of a geographical thing than a UHI thing, at least in that case.

UW would still most definitely have the cooling influence of Mendota and to a lesser degree Monona this early in the season. 

ARX is also on the higher terrain above the Mississippi, which is why LSE in the valley is warmer. 
 

Can’t really explain Duluth since it’s practically on airport property. NWS is surrounded by trees though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...