Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    16,894
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Mikessword
    Newest Member
    Mikessword
    Joined

June 2021 General Discussion


 Share

Recommended Posts

Had a nice sunrise.  You know the general direction to look in of course, but I wasn't exactly sure where the sun was going to pop out from.  It happened to be right behind a tree so I repositioned myself a little bit after taking this pic.

20210610_052156.thumb.jpg.303c396fb8e66e4a98d467bc07ef4df6.jpg

 

With never seeing a sunrise eclipse before, something I didn't anticipate was that my eclipse glasses wouldn't work very well in the first few minutes after sunrise.  I really couldn't see the sun at all through the glasses at first.  Did take a crappy quality pic through the glasses where you can see a little bite of the sun blocked on the left side 

20210610_052709.thumb.jpg.3bd04f4b5c377540c357e4a61f8fbe12.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was doing some yard work today and felt sick from the heat...it was "only" 83 dewpoint 68. It really made me cranky lol. I hear friends and family beg for some heat and then they complain! It would be like me begging for a snowstorm then griping about shoveling a 2 inch snowfall. I can't imagine being in Minnesota this week lol. Maybe it's because of the cold may but this week of 80s has felt extra hot.:sun:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There appears to be a problem with the afternoon climate report for ORD.  It has a high of 88, but there were some 5 min obs of 90 throughout the afternoon.  Accounting for possible rounding means the high should've been no lower than 89.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There appears to be a problem with the afternoon climate report for ORD.  It has a high of 88, but there were some 5 min obs of 90 throughout the afternoon.  Accounting for possible rounding means the high should've been no lower than 89.

There’s a transmission issue. OBS stopped reporting at several sites prior to the 4PM OBS.


.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

RFD hit at least 96.

Airmass certainly doesn’t support it. Drought is droughting.


.

Climate report has 97.

Airmass aloft is a bit warmer tomorrow.  Could be at least 98-99 there lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/4/2021 at 5:42 PM, Hoosier said:

Based on my calculations, Chicago should be around +8 for the month by the time we get to June 10.  Could be a little higher if the coming days were to verify on the warmer end.

If that occurs, then the 11th-30th would only have to average around +1 to get the month into a top 10 warmest June.

Through the 10th, ORD is ~ +8.3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Climate report has 97.

Airmass aloft is a bit warmer tomorrow.  Could be at least 98-99 there lol.

I could be wrong, but this doesn't seem realistic for RFD.  There wasn't a ton of wind/mixing that would support such a high temp, given the background airmass.  Seems to be a sensor issue or unusual UHI impacts??  When I say "sensor issue", it could be the sensor itself malfunctioning, or that the sensor is located in a spot which leads to a higher temp when the surface is parched (which shouldn't happen, as it's a hyper-local impact which isn't representative of the area).

I know it has been dry there...but it has been just as dry IMBY, and only hit 90 today (which was an overperformer itself). 

Strange...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

I could be wrong, but this doesn't seem realistic for RFD.  There wasn't a ton of wind/mixing that would support such a high temp, given the background airmass.  Seems to be a sensor issue or unusual UHI impacts??  When I say "sensor issue", it could be the sensor itself malfunctioning, or that the sensor is located in a spot which leads to a higher temp when the surface is parched (which shouldn't happen, as it's a hyper-local impact which isn't representative of the area).

I know it has been dry there...but it has been just as dry IMBY, and only hit 91 today (which was an overperformer itself). 

Strange...

It does seem to be on the outer bounds of plausibility.  Looking at temps aloft, surrounding high temps and factoring in some urban effects at RFD, it really shouldn't have gotten past 94 or so, maybe 95 at most.  

I don't think this is a new thing at RFD as they seemed to be running warm months ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

97 here today. Felt the symptoms of heat exhaustion/something worse at work today. Stopped sweating, pounding headache, nauseous, and the occasional hot breeze actually gave me chills. 

Still at a cool 88 at 10:45pm. The insanity continues.

 Do you work outside? That is not weather to be fooling around in, stay safe! I honestly cannot recall a stretch of uninterrupted heat here like Minneapolis is a seeing right now. It seems comparable to the late summer 1953 heatwave, although that one was covered a wider area. Still no 90s here. I felt sick working in the yard at 83 and humid. The sun angle near its peak is probably not helping matters. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

 Do you work outside? That is not weather to be fooling around in, stay safe! I honestly cannot recall a stretch of uninterrupted heat here like Minneapolis is a seeing right now. It seems comparable to the late summer 1953 heatwave, although that one was covered a wider area. Still no 90s here. I felt sick working in the yard at 83 and humid. The sun angle near its peak is probably not helping matters. 

I know you had covid.  You fully recovered from that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

 Do you work outside? That is not weather to be fooling around in, stay safe! I honestly cannot recall a stretch of uninterrupted heat here like Minneapolis is a seeing right now. It seems comparable to the late summer 1953 heatwave, although that one was covered a wider area. Still no 90s here. I felt sick working in the yard at 83 and humid. The sun angle near its peak is probably not helping matters. 

Yes I’m a field geologist for an engineering firm in Minneapolis. I spend about 80% of my days outside. Ice water and frequent breaks in my trucks AC have been my only respite.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Hoosier said:

I know you had covid.  You fully recovered from that?

Yes. Happily fully recovered.  I mean, I am overweight and was doing physical work in the sun during peak heating, but once I went inside to cool off and rest I checked the temperature and I'm like, it's only 83!? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...