• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 2021 General Discussion

Hoosier

Got a good viewing spot for the Thursday eclipse... it's about 10 minutes from here with pretty much a wide open view to the east (there's some trees way off in the distance but shouldn't really interfere).  Hopefully clouds aren't an issue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Anything that won't be pulse and crap the bed quickly?

There will probably be some kind of MCS or at least a leftover MCV drifting in from the NW along the stalled backdoor front Friday or Saturday.  The models are all different, but a transition to NW flow will probably happen and that will favor a more organized MCS diving SE with NW shear.  Likely sloppy seconds for the OV and completely miss southwest of Michigan though. :(  Before that it's just a Florida pattern.  I'm praying the lake breeze gives me something IMBY.

11 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Extremely impressive to see temps in the mid to upper 80s all across central MN at midnight.  Usually to get temps to stay so hot this late into the night outside of UHI areas you'd need to have really high dews, but dews are mostly in the 50s.  This is pretty incredible to say the least.

It is.  Makes sense though when you think about the setup.  850 mb temps are quite warm -- in the mid 20s C -- and the pressure gradient has prevented the low levels from decoupling.  

16 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Extremely impressive to see temps in the mid to upper 80s all across central MN at midnight.  Usually to get temps to stay so hot this late into the night outside of UHI areas you'd need to have really high dews, but dews are mostly in the 50s.  This is pretty incredible to say the least.

There's a 40 knot LLJ at 925 mb.  That hot blowtorch is mixing down to the surface.

19 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Even some mid 80s in ND

mn_sfc.gif.7065b0cd72265fb4324867397c9dd05d.gif

There's something interesting going on near Fargo.  That is an 88.  It's almost like a heat burst or something.  Definitely localized subsidence going on as the dewpoint is way lower than the surroundings.  Upper 40s vs upper 50s and low 60s nearby.

30 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

It is.  Makes sense though when you think about the setup.  850 mb temps are quite warm -- in the mid 20s C -- and the pressure gradient has prevented the low levels from decoupling.  

Blowtorch and mixing aside I can't ever remember seeing temps around here that warm this late without a dew over 70 let alone dews below 60.  Crazy stuff this far north.

EDIT:  Kind of a funny thought that just 8 days ago we failed to get out of the freakin' 40s ALL DAY.

14 hours ago, Hoosier said:

LAF has gotten ridiculous.  It has gone from seeming to run a bit warm at times to running (well) above surrounding areas to the north, south, east, west.  It hasn't been locally dry there either, so that doesn't explain it.  I totally think they would hit 100 on a day with widespread mid 90s in the rest of central Indiana.

I haven't been to LAF in years, so I'm not sure if there's been new construction by the airport or if the ASOS was moved or something.  I do kinda wish Tim and I were still living there as it would be fun to troll him over the warmth :lol:

Found the site I was looking for... https://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/KLAF?days=182#Data ...analysis of weather sites and their accuracy. Heres a couple of charts for LAF, last 26 and 52 weeks of temperature data. Negative values equate to the station running too warm, and vice versa. LAF's high temp reading errors in the 26 week chart (yellow squares) are lol.

wxsitequal_pl.png.176aa780522b6a5cf327f1162172bf1c.pngwxsitequal.pl-2.png.986de4fa5d23986ec0e5ffc15bc610c7.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, frostfern said:

There's something interesting going on near Fargo.  That is an 88.  It's almost like a heat burst or something.  Definitely localized subsidence going on as the dewpoint is way lower than the surroundings.  Upper 40s vs upper 50s and low 60s nearby.

Moorhead, MN - directly adjacent to Fargo. KFAR was 86 at that hour with a dewpoint of 58. The temperature of 88 may have been valid, but I’m strongly questioning the dewpoint of 48. I noticed their dewpoints on Thursday afternoon were at 19 when KFAR’s were at 50, and it looks like yesterday afternoon their dewpoints were at 34 when KFAR’s were close to 60. I know heat bursts can do this, but this ain’t it.

4 hours ago, TimB84 said:

Moorhead, MN - directly adjacent to Fargo. KFAR was 86 at that hour with a dewpoint of 58. The temperature of 88 may have been valid, but I’m strongly questioning the dewpoint of 48. I noticed their dewpoints on Thursday afternoon were at 19 when KFAR’s were at 50, and it looks like yesterday afternoon their dewpoints were at 34 when KFAR’s were close to 60. I know heat bursts can do this, but this ain’t it.

I didn't know the dewpoint is consistently low at that location.  People farther from the plains are not used to seeing high dewpoint depressions at night during a heat wave.  Farther east the warmest temps in summer are under high pressure with lighter winds, so the dewpoint is the only thing that keeps temperatures up at night outside of UHI.

7 hours ago, Chicago WX said:

Found the site I was looking for... https://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/KLAF?days=182#Data ...analysis of weather sites and their accuracy. Heres a couple of charts for LAF, last 26 and 52 weeks of temperature data. Negative values equate to the station running too warm, and vice versa. LAF's high temp reading errors in the 26 week chart (yellow squares) are lol.

wxsitequal_pl.png.176aa780522b6a5cf327f1162172bf1c.pngwxsitequal.pl-2.png.986de4fa5d23986ec0e5ffc15bc610c7.png

Currently 87 at LAF and 77 in Crawfordsville.  :popcorn:

19 minutes ago, frostfern said:

I didn't know the dewpoint is consistently low at that location.  People farther from the plains are not used to seeing high dewpoint depressions at night during a heat wave.  Farther east the warmest temps in summer are under high pressure with lighter winds, so the dewpoint is the only thing that keeps temperatures up at night outside of UHI.

I didn’t know that either about the dewpoint at that location. I can’t imagine I’ve ever looked at any observation from Moorhead, MN before Friday. I know some types of weather observing stations struggle mightily in lower humidity environments and understate humidity and dewpoints. Could this be it?

3 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

I didn’t know that either about the dewpoint at that location. I can’t imagine I’ve ever looked at any observation from Moorhead, MN before Friday. I know some types of weather observing stations struggle mightily in lower humidity environments and understate humidity and dewpoints. Could this be it?

Around here I'm more used to seeing an anomalously high dewpoint.  Ionia county is always 2 degrees higher than GRR for whatever reason.  There it's maybe the reading being taken close to the ground in an agriculture or wetland area vs higher up in a field at the airport.  I have never seen 10 degrees off ever though.

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

DTW still has not hit 90 this year.  Kind of crazy seeing that the Ice Box of the nation nearly hit 100゚ the other day and temperatures have been in the nineties throughout much of the upper peninsula, including the keewenaw.

July will be rockin'. :lol:

Heck, DAY, CVG, and Indy all haven't even been 89'd yet this year and doesn't seem to look that way for the foreseeable future. :weep:

Looks like this week and beyond are going to be a wash as we will be under the influence of a cutoff low that was responsible for the soaking rains over the past week down in Texas.

The GooFuS is even hinting this for next weekend. :lol:
500wh.conus.png

1 hour ago, Spartman said:

July will be rockin'. :lol:

Heck, DAY, CVG, and Indy all haven't even been 89'd yet this year and doesn't seem to look that way for the foreseeable future. :weep:

Looks like this week and beyond are going to be a wash as we will be under the influence of a cutoff low that was responsible for the soaking rains over the past week down in Texas.

The GooFuS is even hinting this for next weekend. :lol:
500wh.conus.png

DTW hit 89 today. prob max of this heat spell and the year so far.

16 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

DTW still has not hit 90 this year.  Kind of crazy seeing that the Ice Box of the nation nearly hit 100゚ the other day and temperatures have been in the nineties throughout much of the upper peninsula, including the keewenaw.

What's also crazy about that is that the typically cooler DET has hit 90*F+ at least twice this year (including yesterday) 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Picked up a few tenths from dying convection/anvil rains. About 2 miles southeast got 1"+.  Nice to hear thunder at least.

Monsoon here. Rich get richer i guess. 

But, no T & L. Such a rarity anymore it seems. :lol: