Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Warm Season Thread 2021

wxeyeNH

1 minute ago, alex said:

Funny that it was warmer than 2 nights ago when we had no freeze warnings. :)

I just looked at my Nest cam timelapse.  I had lots of clouds late at night.  You may have too which helped keep you from colder temperatures.  If tonights storm comes any further north the Whites could have some snow tonight according to my weenie eyes

Sub-32F this morning, list from BTV:

VERMONT 

Averill Coop                           27
    Burke Mtn Summit                       27
    Stowe                                  27
    Gallup Mills NEPP                      28
    Mount Mansfield Coop                   28
    Island Pond Coop                       29
    Albany                                 30
    Charleston                             30
    Craftsbury                             30
    Derby                                  30
    East Charleston                        30
    Greensboro                             30
    Holland                                30
    Milton                                 30
    North Danville                         30
    Orleans                                30
    Sheffield                              30
    Sutton                                 30
    Underhill                              30
    West Burke                             30
    Westfield                              30
    Morrisville Airport                    31
    Sutton Coop                            31

So I figured the storm Wednesday night was pretty meh, and it was, at least for me. 2 miles away across town at my friend’s house, it was a different story. Looks like they got hit with a microburst. Looks like 7 or 8 trees were knocked over including a couple of healthy looking maples snapped in half about 15’ above ground. Here are a couple of pics. 
p.s. I’m a pretty lame photographer. 

C9A9C4DA-3FC0-4573-81BA-FCDBAC96EF20.jpeg

785E912C-4685-4E98-A732-059ABBD029CF.jpeg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mreaves said:

So I figured the storm Wednesday night was pretty meh, and it was, at least for me. 2 miles away across town at my friend’s house, it was a different story. Looks like they got hit with a microburst. Looks like 7 or 8 trees were knocked over including a couple of healthy looking maples snapped in half about 15’ above ground. Here are a couple of pics. 
p.s. I’m a pretty lame photographer. 

C9A9C4DA-3FC0-4573-81BA-FCDBAC96EF20.jpeg

785E912C-4685-4E98-A732-059ABBD029CF.jpeg

That legit.  Healthy, strong growth getting tossed around.

9 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I see a lot of firewood in those pics. 

That’s my buddy’s plan for the weekend, at least after he gets done with the work project he has in the morning. Sitting out on his deck tonight, I wish we had been burning some already. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Anyone know where the highest residential house is in New England? I know no one lives on the top of these ski areas but just curious where the highest residence is.

Not many houses above 2500'. VT has regulations against building above that I believe. Although there are a couple houses around 2600' or maybe a little higher near Stratton. Not sure about NH or ME?

28 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Anyone know where the highest residential house is in New England? I know no one lives on the top of these ski areas but just curious where the highest residence is.

There are a few houses up the hill from me around 1850' or so .

There was also a house Alex was talking about a few months ago up at about 1900' on Dalton Ridge Rd near Whitefield that we thought would be snowy, but then Will came in and said it was still a total snow pit. LOL

5 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Not many houses above 2500'. VT has regulations against building above that I believe. Although there are a couple houses around 2600' or maybe a little higher near Stratton. Not sure about NH or ME?

Feels like we’ve had this discussion before.  There are some down in the Dover/Andover area around Mt.Snow that are pretty high and the Bolton Valley base lodge is at 2100’ so some of this condos are up there. 

2 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Feels like we’ve had this discussion before.  There are some down in the Dover/Andover area around Mt.Snow that are pretty high and the Bolton Valley base lodge is at 2100’ so some of this condos are up there. 

Yea, we have for sure.  2500' is supposedly the threshold right?

There's got to be some backwoods cabins off the grid near 3k somewhere. 

10 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

There are a few houses up the hill from me around 1850' or so .

There was also a house Alex was talking about a few months ago up at about 1900' on Dalton Ridge Rd near Whitefield that we thought would be snowy, but then Will came in and said it was still a total snow pit. LOL

Yea, remember that. He swooped in and said they averaged like 75-80" or something..lol

1 hour ago, DavisStraight said:

wxmanmitch lives at 2230' in the southern Greens.  He might know if any neighbors live uphill from there.  Highest I found in a quick search of Rangeley was about 1920'.  If htre are any higher fulltime residences I don't know of them.  Maybe condos at Sugarloaf?  The highest ones (on 2016 imagery) were at about 2050' but I suspect none are primary residences.

3 hours ago, tamarack said:

wxmanmitch lives at 2230' in the southern Greens.  He might know if any neighbors live uphill from there.  Highest I found in a quick search of Rangeley was about 1920'.  If htre are any higher fulltime residences I don't know of them.  Maybe condos at Sugarloaf?  The highest ones (on 2016 imagery) were at about 2050' but I suspect none are primary residences.

I think in Stowe there are some properties very close to 2,000ft but not sure any actually exceed that.  I know the NEK has some 2,000ft spots.  Jay Peak has residential units up to 2,400ft I think... same with Bolton Valley, as there's a residential road loop that goes above the base area even.

Southern VT probably has the largest area of inhabited 2,000ft+ spots.  Adirondacks are also way the hell up there.  Lots of spots 1500-2000ft that are valley bottom locations like SLK and Lake Placid.  Hard to fathom being at 2,000ft and in a valley with lakes around and 4-5kft terrain around.  Easy to see why those spots are so cold.

4 hours ago, mreaves said:

Mittersill at the base of Cannon is pretty close to 2000ft I think

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I think in Stowe there are some properties very close to 2,000ft but not sure any actually exceed that.  I know the NEK has some 2,000ft spots.  Jay Peak has residential units up to 2,400ft I think... same with Bolton Valley, as there's a residential road loop that goes above the base area even.

Southern VT probably has the largest area of inhabited 2,000ft+ spots.  Adirondacks are also way the hell up there.  Lots of spots 1500-2000ft that are valley bottom locations like SLK and Lake Placid.  Hard to fathom being at 2,000ft and in a valley with lakes around and 4-5kft terrain around.  Easy to see why those spots are so cold.

I'm somewhere between 1850-1900', which is higher than where the main lifts start.  The north Village may be up another 100-200' but that's about it.  The Stratton mansions under that one chair on the left side of the mountain may be a little higher tho.