Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Warm Season Thread 2021

wxeyeNH

14 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

Where was this in the winter, dammit!? It's been pouring upslope rain since about 12 noon with ~0.6" through my tipper since then. Rainfall rates have reached 0.25" per hour at times.

Down to 39.8° F so it's getting closer...

Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 3.28.54 PM.png

Torrential upslope rain on Mansfield too up this way.  Felt like rain rates had to be up towards 0.25”/hr at times today.

The amount of water coming off the hill is impressive. Smugglers Notch looks like something out of Jurassic Park with water coming out of every gully and then falling off 100-300ft cliffs.  Every gully is whitewater.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Bolton Valley snowing to the base area at 2,300ft. Need to click play.

Stowe showing snow at the 3,000ft cam too.  But very cool dual pol loop of the snow level just dropped drastically... like 1-2kft all at once.

Can clearly see the snow levels dropping on the west slopes of the Greens from the left image to the right image.

The loop is too big to post but very cool watching that donut hole just collapse towards the radar site on the western slopes where upslope cooling is taking place.

April30.jpg.f725eb85646bbd18eaeebb47b358b6dd.jpg

• Like 1

2.08" so far today on the PWS at the base of the ski resort.... the ones down in town are in the 1.00-1.25" range. 

It was just pouring all day outside the office today (I was thinking some hours had to have 1/4" rates)...with all the water coming out of the hills, a two inch or more total today makes sense... looks like the upslope machine there doubled up the QPF compared with town.

Event totals: 0.1” Snow/2.81” L.E.

Snow started to mix into the precipitation last night, but it wasn’t until this morning that it started to accumulate down here in the valley.  We’re still above freezing down at this elevation, so we’re just getting transient accumulations at this point.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 34.5 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-5 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: Trace

Event total 1.56".  Yesterday was ratty 40s but we needed the rain.  April numbers:

Avg. Max:  56.3     +4.3      Warmest:  76 on the 10th
Avg. Min:   31.9     +3.4      Coldest:  13 on the 3rd
Avg. Mean:  44.1   +3.85

Precip:  4.22"     +0.12   Biggest event:  1.48" on 4/30

Snow:  1.4"    -3.5"    Had 0.7" on both 14 and 15, 1" cover on the 14th.

November thru April have all been AN temps, averaging +3.3.

A few days ago we did a road trip to see folks in metro Baltimore. Full leaflet down there. 85/64 sure felt tropical. Heading back to clouds,rain and cool weather all in all much of this week. Taking the scenic route this pm North to Albany then east across the greens.  Didn't follow elevation snow last night wonder if any of the greens will have snow?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

A few days ago we did a road trip to see folks in metro Baltimore. Full leaflet down there. 85/64 sure felt tropical. Heading back to clouds,rain and cool weather all in all much of this week. Taking the scenic route this pm North to Albany then east across the greens.  Didn't follow elevation snow last night wonder if any of the greens will have snow?

Yea, you will see some along rte 9 unless it melts before you get there. 

3 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Was at the kitchen sink post dinner last night and this guy just pops up at the window..:lol: coming back for seconds. Never been face to face like that before.

That’s wild to be in front of your kitchen window, ha.  We got bear proof trash now after last summer and so far no visitors but they’ve been sighted all over Stowe again in the early going.

This morning I hit the mountain for a ski tour to check out the new snow, so I can pass along some snow observations.  The visible snow line here in the Winooski Valley  reached down to around 1,000’, but it varied a bit with aspect, so that made for some neat views.

Seeing the accumulations on the Bolton Valley Main Base Webcam, I’d planned on a quick tour over in the Wilderness area, but once I was over there out of the wind, I saw that the accumulations were solid enough to warrant a more extended tour into the higher elevations.

Temperatures were below freezing from probably 1,000’-1,500’ on up, so the new snow was dense, but dry.  There was a notable jump in accumulations just above 2,000’ or so as the profile below shows.  Above that though, there wasn’t a lot of increase, so presumably the snow line crashed down to that ~2,000’+ level pretty quickly without spending a lot of time at 3,000’+.

Here’s the accumulations profile observed on this morning’s outing:

340’: 0”

500’: 0”

900’: T

1,000’: T

1,200’: 1-2”

1,500’: 2-3”

2,000’: 3-4’

2,250’: 5-6”

2,500’: ~6”

2,800’: ~6-7”

3,100’: ~7”

As mentioned, the snow was dense but dry, so it skied fairly well.  On 115 mm fat skis I was typically sinking in a couple of inches, and there was a surfy consistency to the setup that really let you have some fun and smear your powder turns easily if you wanted.  The snow provided plenty of cushion for low to low/moderate-angle terrain, and up above 2,800’ or so, old snow and snow bridges were still in place, so that made any water bars less of an issue.

There were a few folks out and about in the Village, but out on the mountain itself it was pretty quiet.  All I saw was a fox that ran in front of me, and a guy on a fat bike up near the summit.  I was surprised to see him up at that point because there was a half foot of snow, and those things are total dogs with respect to climbing, so I’m sure he’d put in plenty of work.  There were some packed areas of snow due to resort operations traffic and wind scouring, so I’m guessing he made good use of that.

I’ll put together some images from today when I get a chance.

• Like 2