Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
At Least The 12th Lawn Thread

Damage In Tolland

4 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

I remember one year it grew into December, not much but it did.

When we visited the kids, then living in DEC, over New Years in 2011-12, they were still harvesting greens from their cold frame when we left on Jan. 2.  Decatur has less than half Boston's snow but runs 1.4° colder in met winter.  

On 10/1/2021 at 12:03 PM, Baroclinic Zone said:

Probably won't need to do a de-thatch in the Spring but let the lawn tell than, if it needs it.  When soil temps get warm enough a shot of fertilizer, to wake up the lawn, will do (Mar-Apr)  Late Spring feeding is when you want to apply your weed inhibitor.  I'm not a fan of Spring seeding.  New grass ends up having to compete with weeds and crabgrass, so I leave that till late Summer like this year.

I'm coming up to 4 weeks since I over-seeded and the lawn looks phenomenal.  I plan on cutting it this weekend.  I ordered some of this that's being delivered nexy week

https://www.amazon.com/Andersons-Complete-16-4-8-Fertilizer-sq-ft/dp/B07SYLCKRH

I plan on dropping that either next week or the week after as my last lawn feeding of the season.

I'll do the same next Spring for my 1st feeding.

Dropped fert this afternoon

2 hours ago, Supernovice said:

well the bad man with the air compressor stopped by yesterday- no more sprinklers for the season- seems early to me but whatever.

lawn looks great- until i put a giant spiderweb/spiders on it- will try and take a pic later

i can't stand how early they winterize. no threat of a deep freeze for at least a month. i do mine myself, rent the big compressor, makes it an easy job. I just have to wait until all the contractors return the rentals-early Nov works for me.

3 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Is Tall fescue or KBG solid to put down around these parts . Was gonna go with Pennington over Scotts

18 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I think KBG is, but tall fescue reminds me of the crap they throw on the medians of highways because it's more drought resistant. 

Today's Tall Fescue is not like the old.  There are TTTF varieties that look more like a KBG.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SJonesWX said:

i can't stand how early they winterize. no threat of a deep freeze for at least a month. i do mine myself, rent the big compressor, makes it an easy job. I just have to wait until all the contractors return the rentals-early Nov works for me.

They make a ton of money opening and closing the systems. One guy I met said he didn't have to put another system in and he could live off the ones he services.

56 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

They make a ton of money opening and closing the systems. One guy I met said he didn't have to put another system in and he could live off the ones he services.

you aren't kidding. The company that installed mine charges $65 for closing, and they are in and out in 10 mins. they can probably bang out 20-25 systems a day no problem.

On 10/11/2021 at 12:52 PM, Baroclinic Zone said:

Today's Tall Fescue is not like the old.  There are TTTF varieties that look more like a KBG.

Love the TTTF, it established quickly and came in thick, especially in the shady parts of my yard. I would go lighter when seeding though if I had to do it again, can come in too thick and die off. 

On 10/11/2021 at 3:00 PM, DavisStraight said:

They make a ton of money opening and closing the systems. 

On 10/11/2021 at 3:58 PM, SJonesWX said:

you aren't kidding. The company that installed mine charges $65 for closing, and they are in and out in 10 mins.

If you have an air compressor, it's easy to do yourself.  I cut in a fitting on the copper line coming out of the house where I can connect my air compressor line.  Takes me about 30 minutes with 10 cfm air compressor to cycle through all 7 zones.  Close the valves in the basement, re-teflon tape the fittings and install, ready to go for the spring.  

12 hours ago, PowderBeard said:

Love the TTTF, it established quickly and came in thick, especially in the shady parts of my yard. I would go lighter when seeding though if I had to do it again, can come in too thick and die off. 

I redid a few areas in AUG with a TTTF/KBG mix and definitely went to heavy on the seed.  Came in way too thick and now overcrowded in spots and lighter green in cooler comapred to the areas I seeded a little lighter which are much darker and healthier.  More is not always better. Oh well, it will thin out over time.