Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
At Least The 12th Lawn Thread

Damage In Tolland

On 3/22/2021 at 1:19 PM, amarshall said:

Dethatched my lawn with a wire rack this weekend?  Is it ok to aerate in the spring? 

Not sure if some one said this - I think the reason behind this school of thought  is if you put down pre- emergent, busting holes in the surface after you put it down renders it useless, so if your going to do it, do it before 

The next phase of the lawn rejuvenation project begins next month. I think we were pretty successful with the back lawn last Fall, but we'll see how it comes back. After struggling for years to get good lawn and getting wiped out 2 yrs ago by grubs/chinch bugs, I finally found some really good seed from the south that is adapted for cold season areas. The plan is to buy some more, topdress the next ~15,000 sqft and bust out the sprinklers. Kinda hoping for a fairly wet spring. Of course it's risky seeding on the sunnyside of the house in Spring, but this seed is quite drought tolerant, so I'm giving it a go.

12 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

That sounds awesome.  growing up, my grandfather had several/many apple and pear, I forget which others ones.

I'll have 10 pawpaw trees after I add 6 this summer. I have 2 large pear trees (good large fruit), a common apple (fruit sucks), a crab apple (good but tart), a peach (dying and cutting it this year), and 2 tart cherries already. I've started a good dozen american chestnut trees as well. I planted 4 seedless concord grapevines a few years ago and got a ton of fruit last year, but they all have seed remnants. So I turned to Double A Vineyards in NY for higher quality vines that are truly seedless. I'll plant those bare root in April.

I want to use my land. I don't want it to use me.

• Like 2

Our lawn is a product of benign neglect, and gradually disappearing as our 3 apple trees and the fir I transplanted in 1998 when it was 2 feet tall get bigger.  Now that fir is closer to 35' and nearly 20' branch spread.  Anybody want a really dense and big Christmas tree?
If one has kids who like to play football/soccer/whiffleball, etc., especially if they have a bunch of friends join them, a lawn makes some sense, especially if there's a lack of public play space nearby.  Otherwise, less is more. 

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

I'll have 10 pawpaw trees after I add 6 this summer. I have 2 large pear trees (good large fruit), a common apple (fruit sucks), a crab apple (good but tart), a peach (dying and cutting it this year), and 2 tart cherries already. I've started a good dozen american chestnut trees as well. I planted 4 seedless concord grapevines a few years ago and got a ton of fruit last year, but they all have seed remnants. So I turned to Double A Vineyards in NY for higher quality vines that are truly seedless. I'll plant those bare root in April.

Here's my grandfathers house.  you can dissect the different species far better than I could.  a pretty cool Japanese tree on the left of driveway, I forget the exact species.  Also the chestnut he loved, on the left of the first pic. 

gd1.jpg

gd2.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

thought about this, but you have to buy and plant a gazillion plugs and wait forever for it to grow in

The section on the SW side of my house/garage is really going nuts in a few years. I know we’ve talked about this before, but it was basically 2 years for it to really start spreading. I’m torn on whether I’d do it again only because it can be hard to stop once it gets going, but it torches so bad over there that all cold season grass just died and I don’t have the well to keep watering it.

4 hours ago, dendrite said:

I planted a peach, pear and apple 4 years ago, been getting a ton of peaches, some pears and no apples, didn't realize I needed  mate for the apple so I got a delicious tree, supposed to be good for mating and got a few apples finally last year. Next I  want to plant a cherry tree, they do well here, just have to pick them before the birds get them.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dendrite said:

It’s totally an American thing. Most people from other countries don’t understand it.

IMO, lawns are mainly a product of suburbia, a phenomenon much less common in other countries, where living is urban or rural with little gradient between.

Hoping to get a good season from our 3 apple trees - last year the Haralred was apparently resting - not a single blossom after a 3-year run of gigantic/branch-bending; good; then very heavy crops.  We'll see.  The other 2 (Empire, Ultramac) had good blossoms but terrible fruit set.  I ate one scabby Empire as the year's entire crop. :wacko2:
We'd planted Reliance peach trees, one in 1998 and a 2nd the next year.  A week after the 1999 tree went in, a late frost killed all of its leaves.  It tried to recover but died prior to spring 2000.  The 1998 tree would double in size each summer then get killed back each winter, until the 01-02 winter failed to get colder than -12.  Several hundred blossoms and 100+ tennis-ball-size luscious fruit in 2002 made us optimistic.  Then JFM 2003 brought a dozen mornings between -20 and -29, some with wind.  The tree produced a weak sprout that spring from below the graft, thus useless, and it died in midsummer anyway.  We were thankful for that one crop before it became clear that our frost-pocket location wasn't peach country.

3 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

We had had some work done at Pit2 last summer in which they laid down some sod.  Is there any reason I should not put down any fertilizer on that?  Any other recommendations for its first spring?

Not sure how thick it is but I would fertilize, little trick I learned is between doing step 1 and step 2 is to put down a thin coat of starter fertilizer to keep it green.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I’m having 3 yards of stone delivered Thursday, it’s basically an extension of a walkway. I bought some azaleas to put with it as well.

Can the azaleas be planted directly into the stone? Or should I mulch around them a bit and then stone the outside?

I think they have fairly shallow root systems so the rocks may get too hot in the summer and damage the plants...especially if not established. And obviously the stone is not supplying anything beneficial to the plant either in terms of nutrients and moisture retention.