Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12Z Guidance Discussion 12/23/2010

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If something like this Nam run verefies, it would be the most epic defeat for a model (The euro) since i've been following weather. 6 straight runs with an N.C. snowstorm -- right in the euro's alleged 4-6 day sweet spot -- and now it's possible we get nada. Down goes Tyson!!!!

After the 12z Euro yesterday I was ready to jump on board for an epic event....and when I saw the trends of the 18z package I got even more excited but with the euro showing signs of shifting and the way the rest of the 00z models have sped up the southern stream energy some I have my doubts. I still think where I am in Northern NJ will get warning criteria snowfall but not to the extent of an epic blizzard the ec has been showing. I think this Nam run was a step in the right direction in terms of the location of the low and holding back the S/W energy longer but missing the phase is the same thing that killed us last week. I'm not going to get too excited without seeing the rest of the 12z package.

Good point gk. I was hoping the short range models would get pulled to the Euro dream solution instead it looks like a compromise may be in order

I'm hoping they all fall in line too. The NAM is flat out ugly, would it even pull back in to hit SNE after the end of the run? I'd really be happy with a Euro/GFS compromise, but I'm 8 miles from the Atlantic, so I'm one of the few people that would benefit from it.

On to the GFS...let's hope it holds serve at the very least.

Must wait for the GFS and the Euro again. The NAM didn't look bad on early frames, it just kind of sucked later. Unfortunately for my area, this is not going to be our storm regardless; the phase is way too late and the OP Euro has been the western outlier the whole time with little model support. Consistency doesnt necessarily mean accuracy unfortunately 4+ days before the event.

Oh well, Merry Christmas everyone.

If the Nam verified, I would say that the defeat would rival that of the one in 2001. I wasn't following the weather as closely then but from what I remember, they closed the schools a day in advance for two days and we saw a coating here in northern NJ. I was quite upset as I imagine others were as well.

If the Nam verified, I would say that the defeat would rival that of the one in 2001. I wasn't following the weather as closely then but from what I remember, they closed the schools a day in advance for two days and we saw a coating here in northern NJ. I was quite upset as I imagine others were as well.

I don't really understand how it would truly be so dramatic, though. I think most were inclined to thinking this would be a big storm because the euro showed it that way for several model runs. I think we are really ignoring how pretty much NO other models showed a BIG storm at all ! Or, at least nothing that made an impact on anything other than the ocean !

Given the consistency of the ensemble guidance and early indication of an evolving Euro-GFS consensus, I'm not sure this run of the NAM will wind up being correct. If the GFS holds or comes a little west, that would probably ease some of the concern that has erupted in the wake of the NAM's bleak solution.

Agreed. Given the 00z/06z GFS ensemble data... with many members west of the op... that's normally a good sign that the 12z op will follow suit.

If something like this Nam run verefies, it would be the most epic defeat for a model (The euro) since i've been following weather. 6 straight runs with an N.C. snowstorm -- right in the euro's alleged 4-6 day sweet spot -- and now it's possible we get nada. Down goes Tyson!!!!

in order for the euro to have been right with it's epic MA bomb, everything would have had to have been just right. In order for the nam to verify, everything just has to be. Smart money goes on the nam.

It's becoming more clear that building a truly good storm, whether its for the MW or EC, is incredibly difficult to do without a prominent southern stream.

how would it be a defeat, we are 72 hours out and bascially no met worth their salt has hyped huge accumulations as of yet.

its just a bunch of people hugging the euro to death and saying the GFS and all the other models are not handling it right. I am shocked that the HPC was so dismissive of every other model but the Euro

and if we get a 2-4 snowfall thats not so bad and its not a failure I dont think

Guest someguy

Agreed. Given the 00z/06z GFS ensemble data... with many members west of the op... that's normally a good sign that the 12z op will follow suit.

yup strongly agree

Let's wait to see the rest of the 12z package. When the 00z models last night began to speed up the southern stream I thought to myself thats not a good sign since the EC...our best scenario has been lagging behind the rest of the guidance. I'm still pretty certain that a track west of the 06z GFS will verify and that areas from NJ on northeastward see warning criteria snowfall but it sure is dissapointing considering what this could have become. As for my friends in the MA...hope things trend west...still plenty of time to go.

how would it be a defeat, we are 72 hours out and bascially no met worth their salt has hyped huge accumulations as of yet.

its just a bunch of people hugging the euro to death and saying the GFS and all the other models are not handling it right. I am shocked that the HPC was so dismissive of every other model but the Euro

and if we get a 2-4 snowfall thats not so bad and its not a failure I dont think

This is a bit overstated (and was driven by a single forecaster/shift). There was plenty of blending with ensemble information.....and at the time, the GFS did seem to be too far out to sea, but that's just my opinion.

PRELIMINARY EXTENDED FORECAST DISCUSSION

NWS HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL PREDICTION CENTER CAMP SPRINGS MD

910 AM EST THU DEC 23 2010

VALID 12Z MON DEC 27 2010 - 12Z THU DEC 30 2010

...CONTINUED WET ALONG THE WEST COAST...

...WINTER STORM STILL POSSIBLE ALONG THE EAST COAST SUN-MON...

THE VIGOROUS UPPER TROUGH AND ITS ACCOMPANYING INTENSE POLAR JET

STREAM ARE EXPECTED TO FACILITATES DEAMPLIFICATION OF THE LONGWAVE

PATTERN OVER THE CONUS THROUGH MUCH OF THE MEDIUM RANGE PERIOD

BEFORE REAMPLIFYING TOWARD A TROUGH/RIDGE PATTERN OVER THE

WESTERN/EASTERN CONUS RESPECTIVELY BY DAY 7.

ACROSS THE WEST...PRECIPITATION WILL LIKELY REMAIN ABOVE AVERAGE.

HOWEVER...DETERMINING THE EXACT TIMING/LOCATION OF INDIVIDUAL

EVENTS REMAINS IN QUESTION. SOLUTION SPREAD IS ALREADY ABOVE A

COMFORTABLE LEVEL TO BE PARTICULARLY CONFIDENT ENTERING DAY 3 WITH

MODEL GUIDANCE INDICATING AN INTENSE SPLIT-TROUGH NOT TOO

DISSIMILAR FROM WHAT CROSSED THE WEST YESTERDAY ENTERING THE

REGION. THE 00-06Z GFS LIE NEAR THE FAST EDGE OF THE GUIDANCE WITH

THE LEADING EDGE OF THE TROUGH...WHILE ALL OTHER DETERMINISTIC AND

ENSEMBLE GUIDANCE...AND THE HIGH-AMPLITUDE BLOCKED FLOW DOWNSTREAM

SUGGESTING THAT SLOWER IS BETTER. IN FACT...THE 00Z UKMET WHICH

INDICATES A SEPARATED AND SOMEWHAT MATURE CYCLONE MOVING INTO

CALIFORNIA AND SOUTHWEST SEEMS MOST REASONABLE GIVEN THE LONGWAVE

FLOW...WITH THE 00Z ECMWF/CANADIAN SLIGHTLY WEAKER/FASTER BUT

STILL PLAUSIBLE. OTHERWISE...NORTHERN PORTIONS OF THE TROUGH ARE

EXPECTED TO PROGRESS THROUGH THE NORTHWEST WITH SLIGHTLY FASTER

TIMING...WITH NEUTRAL/ZONAL FLOW SPREADING INTO THE ENTIRE WEST

FOR ABOUT 48 HRS BEFORE ANOTHER SIGNIFICANT AND AMPLIFYING TROUGH

ENTERS THE WEST BY THE END OF THE PERIOD. THE 00Z GFS IS A LITTLE

FASTER THAN THE 00Z ECMWF WITH THE LEADING EDGE OF THE

REAMPLIFYING TROUGH REACHING THE NORTHWEST BUT OTHERWISE MERGES

NICELY WITH IT BY END OF DAY 7...WITH ALL GLOBAL ENSEMBLE MEANS IN

PHASE WITH THEIR DETERMINISTIC MEMBERS. IF THEY ARE CORRECT...THE

GFS/ECMWF INDICATE A SNOW STORM FOR MUCH OF THE CENTRAL/NORTHERN

ROCKIES BY DAY 7.

ACROSS THE EAST...MODEL SPREAD HAS SLOWLY NARROWED CONCERNING THE

TRACK AND OTHER DETAILS CONCERNING A POTENTIAL WINTER STORM

AFFECTING THE EAST COAST DAYS 3-4. THE ECMWF HAS TRENDED FASTER

AND EASTWARD WITH THE TRACK OF THE LOW SUN-MON...WHILE THE GFS HAS

TRENDED FASTER AND WESTWARD...WITH THE 06Z GFS REPRESENTING A

CONSENSUS OF 00Z ECMWF/00Z GFS AND NEARLY OVERLAPS THE GLOBAL

ENSEMBLE MEANS. MEANWHILE...THE 00Z UKMET/CANADIAN ARE

SUFFICIENTLY FAR OUT TO SEA TO HAVE ONLY MINIMAL IMPACTS OVER

LAND. GIVEN THE MORE CONSISTENT TRENDS OF THE GFS/ECMWF MODEL

SUITES AND THAT THE SOLUTION ENVELOPE HAS NARROWED TO ROUGHLY

INCLUDE JUST THESE MODELS IF WE CONSIDER THEIR ENSEMBLE MEMBERS AS

WELL...THE UPDATED PRESSURES/FRONTS WILL LEAN HEAVILY TOWARD THE

06Z GFS. THIS PATH CLIPS EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA/VIRGINIA/NEW

JERSEY WITH ONLY A FEW INCHES OF SNOW AT MOST...BUT HITS COASTAL

NEW ENGLAND WITH BLIZZARD CONDITIONS SUNDAY NIGHT/MONDAY. GIVEN

THAT ONLY A SMALL SHIFT IN THE EXACT TRACK WILL HAVE PROFOUND

INFLUENCES ALONG THE EAST COAST...AND THAT PORTIONS OF THE

EVOLVING UPSTREAM CONDITIONS ARE ONLY NOW ENTERING THE MORE

DENSELY POPULATED OBSERVATIONAL NETWORK...WE WILL LIKELY SEE A

LARGE REDUCTION IN THE SOLUTION ENVELOPE WITHIN THE NEXT 1-2 MODEL

CYCLES...BEGINNING WITH THE 12Z CYCLE. UNTIL THEN...RECOMMEND

CONSIDERING A RANGE OF POSSIBILITIES THAT INCLUDES THE 00Z ECMWF

ON THE STRONG/WESTERN EDGES OF THE GUIDANCE...AND THE 00Z GFS ON

THE EASTERN EDGES OF THE GUIDANCE.

JAMES

The NAM looked fine and as soon as it got past 48-54 into its horror range it began to get the ugly solution.

Yeah I definitely agree. The early frames is when the NAM is the most useful -- I don't buy the 4 lows crap later in the model. My real fear is how it handled the northern stream throughout the model. It's timing of the s/w was actually better this run.

The NAM looked fine and as soon as it got past 48-54 into its horror range it began to get the ugly solution.

And just as important it's fluctuating wildly. It wouldn't sway me one way or the other until after the gfs/ggem and euro.

Up until 48 or so I thought it was heading to a hybrid euro/gfs solution. It's too far out to pick apart details until after the rest of the suite.

the writing was on the wall at 54 with the sw weakening and left behind in the w. gulf. It also causes the ridge out west and ahead to be less amplified.

That sudden SE kick it takes is the problem after 36 hours, if it simply continued on a due east trajectory the thing would phase like the second coming of 1899.

Doesn't anyone care the Ukie and Canadian are well out to sea? I mean these are not junk models. Seems to me that in torms of past they were always at least in the ballpark, often the kie a little too far east and GGEM west. But they are not in the zip code of a snowstorm here. No worries about that?

To me things are not very good right now. Almost going quickly the way of last week. Euro decent hit, GFS scraper, everything else is not even close.

Guest someguy

sorry this imake NO sense

I have no idea why after syaing he is going to follow the 6z GFS

he then says this

http://raleighwx.americanwx.com/models/gfsensemble/06zgfsensemblep72120.gif

looks like a band of 0.50 to 1.25 to me

...THE UPDATED PRESSURES/FRONTS WILL LEAN HEAVILY TOWARD THE

06Z GFS. THIS PATH CLIPS EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA/VIRGINIA/NEW

JERSEY WITH ONLY A FEW INCHES OF SNOW AT MOST...JAMES

Doesn't anyone care the Ukie and Canadian are well out to sea? I mean these are not junk models. Seems to me that in torms of past they were always at least in the ballpark, often the kie a little too far east and GGEM west. But they are not in the zip code of a snowstorm here. No worries about that?

To me things are not very good right now. Almost going quickly the way of last week. Euro decent hit, GFS scraper, everything else is not even close.

The Canadian yes....very much so...the UKMET no because its been horrid all month, the UKMET right now is likely to be poor all winter, I've learned that over the years that when a model generally isn't picking things up well in December it tends to struggle the rest of the season...the SREFs have also been struggling mightily as well...more on inconsistency...the UKMET has been consistent on its solutions most of the month but has been grossly wrong.

It's just the NAM so no reason to jump off bridges yet. The solution is so awful and so horrific it does make you wonder a bit though.

well, NAM's been ots so far and the DGEX has followed suit

I have always said I'm a firm believer in pattern repetition

last weekend's storm was the first potential threat for the east coast this year and it went ots

one storm does not establish a pattern, but in my little wx world, 2 does

so I'll give it some time, but my gut on this storm has done a 180 in the past 20 hours

Archived