Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

31 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

The anecdotal evidence I’ve seen with the vaccines are that those with underlying conditions or are generally susceptible to being sick have tougher reactions. My dad is 83 and is in great health. Never gets sick. Had almost no reaction to both doses. Same with my father in law. My dads brother has rheumatoid arthritis and was down for 4 days. My mother is 84 and has lupus. She was down 5 days.  Other anecdotes seem close to the same idea. And my mother had tough reaction to the shingles vaccine. My dad had no issue. 

I’m beginning to think that all pathogenic infections of the biological kingdom have always carried on with that same preferential symptomatic sequence/impact based upon susceptibility model.

And that the main difference between COVID-19, vs all those before it is that C-19 is hyper focused to the point where any f-ing sneeze or butt itch is being documented as a horror story. 

Sure people with lupus ...probably legitimately getting sacked. Sure. That would be true with the flu, and it would probably be true with cancer too. Only so much any body can take. If one is carrying around heart disease and then they get a head cold it probably gonna be magnified - it’s always been that way.

This is what happens when CNN and Fox News are the instructors for society

• Weenie 1

14 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

I haven’t even had a cold in years. Zero reaction 

Yeah, I'm in the same camp. Haven't had a sniffle in sixteen years, so I assume I have a solid immune system. But I had virtually no reaction to the vaccine other than a two hour period of brain-fog, so not sure how to interpret that.

4 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I never had it but last night was rough for me after my J&J shot yesterday morning. Body aches, chills, slight fever. Could be barely sleep. 

My brother got the J&J shot yesterday too...I guess they had a walk-up clinic or something in New Britain. He got the same symptoms as well. 

It seems from these anecdotal accounts bandied about in this social media that a pattern emerges.  It is as though the vaccine spectrum of induced symptoms is perhaps proportional, just shift the whole scale toward much less severe.

Take a population and some few will need critical care to resolve ...or even die, ranging to just a short few days of inconvenience for the majority ..etc. 

Perhaps those that 'would have' needed that urgent care...those are the ones getting more harsh vaccine reactions ... 

10 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Take a population and some few will need critical care to resolve ...or even die, ranging to just a short few days of inconvenience for the majority ..etc.  ... 

I know your post was in the context of vaccines, but, from my sources, at least in Massachusetts, a lot of those in the hospital for Covid are there because they need the care once they get finished with oxygen therapy. They are still in the hospital because the step down care isn’t available. The LTC facilities won’t take them if they are still positive. People who actually have a nice urban/suburban single family home to go to are discharged home. For those who live in multigenerational tenement type housing, the family may not want them home if they are still infectious. So they stay on the hospital census until they can move them to a facility to finish recovery. For the 700 or so in Massachusetts’ hospitals, I’d estimate half don't need hospital level care if what I’m hearing from my hospital based MD and social worker friends are correct. 

Just now, WhitinsvilleWX said:

From my sources, at least in Massachusetts, a lot of those in the hospital are there because they need the care once they get finished with oxygen therapy. They are still in the hospital because the step down care isn’t available. The LTC facilities won’t take them if they are still positive. People who actually have a nice urban/suburban single family home to go to are discharged home. For those who live in multigenerational tenement type housing, the family may not want them home if they are still infectious. So they stay on the hospital census until they can move them to a facility to finish recovery. For the 700 or so in Massachusetts’ hospitals, I’d estimate half don't need hospital level care if what I’m hearing from my hospital based MD and social worker friends are correct. 

Gonna be so interesting to see the studies that come out in a few years with scrubbed/adjusted case, hospitalization, and death numbers. You will need to search for them because they will be buried and not reported by the MSM.

• Weenie 1

On 4/9/2021 at 8:54 PM, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

He’s the same guy who was pushing the conspiracy theory that covid coverage would disappear post election, then moved the goalposts to inauguration day. Yet, everytime I check this thread that’s all HE is talking about lol. 

Imagine spiking the football because some rando on the Internet was too optimistic about when the pandemic fear-mongering would end. Yikes.

You are loving the 2020 vibe, aren't you? 

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

. What exactly are the masks doing at this point? It’s a joke. 

Lots of pure theater at this point. We went out to dinner last night with another couple we hang out with. Restaurant was semi fine dining, family owned. It was about half full with a few at the bar. We walked in with no mask, ate, was in there for 2 hours, walked out with no mask. Was a pretty refreshing experience. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PhineasC said:

LOL BWI airport is absolutely packed today. Zero social distancing. Long lines everywhere. What exactly are the masks doing at this point? It’s a joke. 

We flew done to Florida to visit my parents for a week-went from LGA to RSW-same thing-lines, no social distancing-the folks who are flying are clearly comfortable with things now...some having been vaccinated probably helps.

1 hour ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Lots of pure theater at this point. We went out to dinner last night with another couple we hang out with. Restaurant was semi fine dining, family owned. It was about half full with a few at the bar. We walked in with no mask, ate, was in there for 2 hours, walked out with no mask. Was a pretty refreshing experience. 

I still see restaurants frantically wiping down chairs and tables-what a joke-that is pure theatre-it's an airborne virus-cleaning a chair does nothing.    (however it is nice that things are being clearned vs not cleaned at all, but alot of this is simply theatre to make people feel more comfortablle.

9 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

We flew done to Florida to visit my parents for a week-went from LGA to RSW-same thing-lines, no social distancing-the folks who are flying are clearly comfortable with things now...some having been vaccinated probably helps.

I still see restaurants frantically wiping down chairs and tables-what a joke-that is pure theatre-it's an airborne virus-cleaning a chair does nothing.    (however it is nice that things are being clearned vs not cleaned at all, but alot of this is simply theatre to make people feel more comfortablle.

Airports and restaurants packed, FL and TX wide open and partying. CDC/Fauci and WH still telling people to stay home and stay safe. States all over the place with different rules. Vaccine demand dropping off long before herd immunity is reached.

Something has to give here soon. It's total chaos out there. And summer riot season hasn't even started yet!

But hey, at least the mean tweets have stopped.

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

Airports and restaurants packed, FL and TX wide open and partying. CDC/Fauci and WH still telling people to stay home and stay safe. States all over the place with different rules. Vaccine demand dropping off long before herd immunity is reached.

Something has to give here soon. It's total chaos out there.

But hey, at least the mean tweets have stopped.

whole thing will begin a slow fadeaway...no one is listening to Biden or Fauci repeat the same 14 month old talking points.   The shutdown make sense last spring, but it no longer does-even Michigan is not closing much down with their latest surge and they had the largest shutdown last spring....

23 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Meanwhile, billionaires added 4 trillion dollars to their net worth globally.

Nice society we have here! Glad the mean tweets are gone, at least.

Mm hm...

An excerpt from that which was too long for anyone to have actually read - heh...I gotta stop writing on this site.

But,

" We probably really just went through the greatest transfer of wealth from one sector of western economics to another, in history.  And those that received it ... they really should give it all back- or they are greedy with no redeeming value at all.  0. And though there isn't a hard conspiracy ... it's like the Bobby Axelrod affect - you really wanna keep that in entertainment and not have those types really pulling the levers of society. "

• Like 1

Just now, Whineminster said:

People have realized it's just something we have to live with, and that most people will be fine.  I got the vaccine because I hope to go to Germany this summer and you know they're gonna require it.....otherwise I could have cared less. 

3 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

whole thing will begin a slow fadeaway...no one is listening to Biden or Fauci repeat the same 14 month old talking points.   The shutdown make sense last spring, but it no longer does-even Michigan is not closing much down with their latest surge and they had the largest shutdown last spring....

I mean, that's fine, but can we go just a little further and get rid of the masks and silly hygiene theater restrictions everywhere before we declare things "back to normal"? Also, open all the schools?

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Mm hm...

An excerpt from that which was too long for anyone to have actually read - heh...I gotta stop writing on this site.

But,

" We probably really just went through the greatest transfer of wealth from one sector of western economics to another, in history.  And those that received it ... they really should give it all back- or they are greedy with no redeeming value at all.  0. And though there isn't a hard conspiracy ... it's like the Bobby Axelrod affect - you really wanna keep that in entertainment and not have those types really pulling the levers of society. "

We are already basically living in a techno-corporatist/oligarchic state and it is just getting worse.

Congress has exactly zero power over the tech monopolies. Too scared to even touch them.

23 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

We are already basically living in a techno-corporatist/oligarchic state and it is just getting worse.

Congress has exactly zero power over the tech monopolies. Too scared to even touch them.

It's really like they can't -

They've allowed the entire infrastructure of society to become bottle-neck dependent up on it, to the point where pulling back and 'disconnecting' would cause [ probably ] a modeled Nat Security risk.  Disproportionate set back ... trust me ( I mean the general reader - ) this shit is advanced modeled by Pentagon ...etc, et al.  Society is too inextricably co-dependent upon technologies that - oops - were allowed to be privately constrained ... They are not just wealthy - they can flip switches... and a reset now would be catastrophic - call it implicit extortion. 

It's probably chapter 2 or 3 in that dystopian novel, "Fermi's Paradox"

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

I mean, that's fine, but can we go just a little further and get rid of the masks and silly hygiene theater restrictions everywhere before we declare things "back to normal"? Also, open all the schools?

Hopefully the mask mandates can go away in the next few months.  By then, you should have been able to get a vaccine if you want one, at least if you're 16+.  

Would not doubt that masking will still be a thing in schools this fall, since many kids are not going to have a chance to be vaccinated in time for Aug/Sep.