• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

My friends in my age cohort have all been vaccinated as have all of my friends who I met through my career.   When we get together as in last Monday night to see the dud of the NCAA final game, everyone checks in and since we’re all vaccinated the host home gives the ok for no masks.  What I don’t get are people across the street from me covering up as they pass within 50 feet.   With that said, maybe they’re like me and figure the other person is paranoid and cover up.   I won’t humor those across thee street-it’s too absurd but passing on the same side I’ll mask up for the passing moment.   My philosophy now that we’re vaccinated fully for the past month is to not worry.   My wife has resumed her child care gig working Fridays.   For the past several I’ve been home getting my CE hours.   I’ve had no issues with the kids-boutique service with one set of siblings-but I admit I was annoyed when I found out one of them was “at the end of a cold”. Friday.   But I’d have been annoyed 5 years ago too.  Who wants a cold?

8 minutes ago, weathafella said:

My friends in my age cohort have all been vaccinated as have all of my friends who I met through my career.   When we get together as in last Monday night to see the dud of the NCAA final game, everyone checks in and since we’re all vaccinated the host home gives the ok for no masks.  What I don’t get are people across the street from me covering up as they pass within 50 feet.   With that said, maybe they’re like me and figure the other person is paranoid and cover up.   I won’t humor those across thee street-it’s too absurd but passing on the same side I’ll mask up for the passing moment.   My philosophy now that we’re vaccinated fully for the past month is to not worry.   My wife has resumed her child care gig working Fridays.   For the past several I’ve been home getting my CE hours.   I’ve had no issues with the kids-boutique service with one set of siblings-but I admit I was annoyed when I found out one of them was “at the end of a cold”. Friday.   But I’d have been annoyed 5 years ago too.  Who wants a cold?

Or ...some rural line-toer walking down the break down lane of a country road ... no cars going passed probably in 5 minute intervals, and nothing else around but the brackish stream running along the road ... In the distance beyond the wetland adorned by last years cattails and dead sage, woods, while two turkey vultures do mobius loops in the sky above. And as I'm going past this lone solitary soul, 20 miles from anything qualifiable as a town ... he's wearing a mask.

Other than the common clay of backdrop American morons ... I do get a distinct impression that some of the espy a person, pull up the mask thing might also have something to do with the anathema toward people who don't at least act concerned enough to pull it up - people don't want to be shaded or shamed, and end up on the news as 'that asshole' not wearing a mask around others.

While it's fine to be polite, masking while walking by someone is pointless. The potential to get infected is virtually nill. People have a greater chance getting hit by a car

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Or ...some rural line-toer walking down the break down lane of a country road ... no cars going passed probably in 5 minute intervals, and nothing else around but the brackish stream running along the road ... In the distance beyond the wetland adorned by last years cattails and dead sage, woods, while two turkey vultures do mobius loops in the sky above. And as I'm going past this lone solitary soul, 20 miles from anything qualifiable as a town ... he's wearing a mask.

Other than the common clay of backdrop American morons ... I do get a distinct impression that some of the espy a person, pull up the mask thing might also have something to do with the anathema toward people who don't at least act concerned enough to pull it up - people don't want to be shaded or shamed, and end up on the news as 'that asshole' not wearing a mask around others.

They call it “virtue signaling” and it is driving a lot of behaviors right now. 

6 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

While it's fine to be polite, masking while walking by someone is pointless. The potential to get infected is virtually nill. People have a greater chance getting hit by a car

Totally agree but the town has the ordinance so why fight it...

Just now, Bostonseminole said:

I am not sure where folks are hanging out but most places are packed. So it’s not only TX and FL.. difference is folks are using masks but plenty of folks out. Mostly back to Normal traffic at malls and when I was in Boston yesterday.

It doesn’t seem to make much sense to have a place be packed (with many not wearing masks while sitting down or eating) but then to still have ordinances on the books requiring masks when walking down the street. Crazy town. 

It doesn’t seem to make much sense to have a place be packed (with many not wearing masks while sitting down or eating) but then to still have ordinances on the books requiring masks when walking down the street. Crazy town. 

Does not bother me to wear a mask at least for now, I hope by June we are done with them and it becomes a personal choice.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bostonseminole said:

Does not bother me to wear a mask at least for now, I hope by June we are done with them and it becomes a personal choice.

That’s fine, but the “science” of a night at the bar seems kinda silly now. COVID goes away when my buds and I lean on a bar top and start sipping a drink?

Totally agree but the town has the ordinance so why fight it...
And at what point does the town use science and logic to say the ordinance can be dropped? I just watched a local news story about a LTC facility where most/all residents were fully vaccinated yet they were showing everyone inside still wearing masks and distancing. I'm like WTF?.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

And at what point does the town use science and logic to say the ordinance can be dropped? I just watched a local news story about a LTC facility where most/all residents were fully vaccinated yet they were showing everyone inside still wearing masks and distancing. I'm like WTF?.

Yes, the things I am seeing at these airports lately has me really questioning the “science” at this point. It’s all theater. I just ate and drank at a place that was so packed people were on top of each other with no masks, but when you went to order at the bar you had to stand in line six feet apart, even if that put you basically on top of another table. 

4 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Well for the town ordinance it’s rote learning of some prior concept.   But yes-at some point logic has to prevail.  Regarding the LTC facilities-that’s more complicated.   It’s a quasi healthcare facility so SOP is being followed.   Also, are all the employees vaccinated?  Maybe risk to residents is low but can these employees easily spread the virus to all the locations they work?   Many of these people have 2 or more jobs-they are often grossly underpaid.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Well for the town ordinance it’s rote learning of some prior concept.   But yes-at some point logic has to prevail.  Regarding the LTC facilities-that’s more complicated.   It’s a quasi healthcare facility so SOP is being followed.   Also, are all the employees vaccinated?  Maybe risk to residents is low but can these employees easily spread the virus to all the locations they work?   Many of these people have 2 or more jobs-they are often grossly underpaid.

Makes more sense at a LTC facility. Those are the poor devils who died during all this. 
It’s your average dude/gal at the airport bar waiting on a flight to Kalamazoo that’s mostly useless.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Whineminster said:

People have realized it's just something we have to live with, and that most people will be fine.  I got the vaccine because I hope to go to Germany this summer and you know they're gonna require it.....otherwise I could have cared less. 

Same here

I got my vaccination because I don't feel like getting tested everytime I go to sports outing and other indoor gatherings.

Makes sense. Just tired of this, but you can already see the next goalpost. "We don't know how much immunity everyone will have post vax, but out of an abundance of caution we're requiring masks and distancing."

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Makes sense. Just tired of this, but you can already see the next goalpost. "We don't know how much immunity everyone will have post vax, but out of an abundance of caution we're requiring masks and distancing."

I bet by June, barring any large scale changes, we’re seeing full capacity returning and limited or no masks. California will be the real catalyst, giving cover to other governors. 

2 minutes ago, Lava Rock said: "We don't know how much immunity everyone will have post vax, but out of an abundance of caution we're requiring masks and distancing."

I honestly think people would deal with some reduced capacity and even a few other restrictions. But the mask thing is the most divisive. The CDCs own publication looking at meta analysis says it’s only  a 1.5% difference in transmission over 120 days. 

“Out of an abundance of caution, we’re lowering the speed limit to 30 mph on all interstates. If it will save one life, it’s worth it”.

see how silly this can get?

Just now, NorEastermass128 said:

I bet by June, barring any large scale changes, we’re seeing full capacity returning and limited or no masks. 

No way. Not here at least. You want that, go south. My money is on mask mandates in the northeast at least through this year and most likely into 2022. As long as guys like Ashish Jha and the rest of the Boston Globe are breathing down Charlie’s neck, there’s no way he drops the mandate. 

8 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Family I can see, but you can be a cop anywhere.

If you had an issue on duty or someone accused you of something, do you think the NYPD and DeBlasio would have your back?

It really takes guts to be a cop in an urban area these days.

I just do my job the right way and go by the book :)

• Like 2

Just now, MJO812 said:

I just do my job the right way and go by the book :)

And that includes pulling over to get the euro when something big is coming....and we love you for it!

And for others-Ant’s dad I believe was a NYC cop.  Not sure of the benefits but I suspect they’re decent in NYC including possibly retiring with a full pension while still pretty young.   He can work in bumfuk, NH but the package as well as life would be dramatically different.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

No way. Not here at least. You want that, go south. My money is on mask mandates in the northeast at least through this year and most likely into 2022. As long as guys like Ashish Jha and the rest of the Boston Globe are breathing down Charlie’s neck, there’s no way he drops the mandate. 

The mandate will be dropped IMHO once we reach the point of “everyone who wants a vaccine has been able to get one for 2-3 months now”. That’s really the threshold. The tolerance will become pretty low once we reach that point.

Maybe it lingers another couple months beyond that but public pressure will become strong I think. 

17 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

I bet by June, barring any large scale changes, we’re seeing full capacity returning and limited or no masks. California will be the real catalyst, giving cover to other governors. 

Agree with all of this. Perhaps sooner.  I’m talking about New England here.  Other places are already there