• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Mikessword
    Newest Member
    Mikessword
2021 Mid-Atlantic Severe Weather - General Discussion

Kmlwx

LWX will be out to check the Jacksonville/Phoenix area, they were under the first tornado warning during the 5pm hour. Lot of tree damage. 

Had three separate rounds of storms IMBY, the first we were on the northern edge of that tornado warned storm/area. 

Second was from line two, lot of rain/thunder with that one

Third was around 8pm, was absolutely pouring and of course I had to leave the house to pick up the kid from gymnastics. slowest driving I've had to do recently because there was so much ponding on the roads. 

just over 1 inch of rain yesterday 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, mappy said:

LWX will be out to check the Jacksonville/Phoenix area, they were under the first tornado warning during the 5pm hour. Lot of tree damage. 

Had three separate rounds of storms IMBY, the first we were on the northern edge of that tornado warned storm/area. 

Second was from line two, lot of rain/thunder with that one

Third was around 8pm, was absolutely pouring and of course I had to leave the house to pick up the kid from gymnastics. slowest driving I've had to do recently because there was so much ponding on the roads. 

just over 1 inch of rain yesterday 

I am about 2 miles south of Jacksonville. We had a little wind and lots of rain. Measured 1.88 inches in the gauge yesterday 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, midatlanticweather said:

Shows tornado forming on ground. Little guy.. But cool

R.I.P. dear wind chimes hanging in the yard! Dear God, those things go up on end for a second, and then they're straight up GONE like Dorothy's house on its way to Oz. Interesting to see it "dance" in a spiral in the yard for minute or two....I thought it would be moving off right away. I know this was a little guy, but wow...tornadoes are Mother Nature's way of saying, "F*ck around and find out."

47 minutes ago, H2O said:

If I got .01 from it I'd be surprised.

Yeah, for all of the dark sky drama last night, it was sort of lame. I still haven't replaced my rain gauge (BAD weather nerd!), but we got about 5 minutes of heavy rain and one hearty lightning bolt/thunderclap. Tracking the radar for the northern crew was far more interesting.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 32º said:

Because red and green do not meet in stark contrast, could this be outflow from a downburst?

Also remember that is a decent distance from the radar site. So if that is the 0.5 degree tilt, the beam is pretty high at that point. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think we have a bit of the Potomac River "bubble" going on here in the Southern portion of MD, storms have really struggled to sustain themselves as soon as they get over the water. I guess it just has a way of stabilizing the environment.

8 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Warned the northern part of the storm too... pretty pathetic warning IMO. Can't find a pixel with a >30mph wind reading on RadarScope. 

Latest update has several 40kt + pixels. Definitely warrants the SVR for wet microburst potential.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Main cell just south of Mt. Vernon getting a decent hail signature on it. Dover and ADW radar starting to pick up on it.

I was at that location under that cell...didn't see/hear hail, but the rain was the heaviest we've had in a number of years, enough that I couldn't see houses on other side of cul de sac for about five minutes.

18 hours ago, Kmlwx said:

I'm not seeing much of anything to get super excited about severe weather wise. Other than general thunderstorms it looks like nothing big is on the horizon. 

It's probably over for us until tropical season. We're in the summer doldrums.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

It's probably over for us until tropical season. We're in the summer doldrums.

We need to hope for a ring of fire style ridge. I had some nice rumbles on thunder last night. It's been a pretty "odd" spring IMO. But maybe the combination of still coming out of the COVID funk and the cicadas have thrown me off. Other than a few isolated spots - this has been a pretty low-key severe season.