Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 10-12 event obs

snowfan

Just now, jayyy said:

Dang! Was hoping to hear that you cashed in over there. 

The trends were not good. By 18z almost all guidance had the 850 0 line literally right over me or just south, and other than one 20 min period when I had some moderate snow falling, it was mostly sleet with flakes mixed in. Don't think I had the rates here to overcome that warm layer for the most part. 

I am guessing places just north of me did pretty well.

• Like 1

“Round 2” precip appear to be blossoming further north to anybody?! Or is the radar playing tricks on my sleepy weenie eyes?

PS - Watches dropped for VA - replaced with WWA’s. Forecast for 5+ inches of snow / Mixed precip appears to be a thing of the past. DT is going to bust SO badly. 

4 minutes ago, CAPE said:

The trends were not good. By 18z almost all guidance had the 850 0 line literally right over me or just south, and other than one 20 min period when I had some moderate snow falling, it was mostly sleet with flakes mixed in. Don't think I had the rates here to overcome that warm layer for the most part. 

I am guessing places just north of me did pretty well.

:( Man! Sorry to hear that. Dover over to Chestertown MD and points N reported SN+ for a while. Looks like that E/W line was the battleground over in your neck of the woods. A bit surprised to hear 850s won out for the duration, but as you said, if heaviest precip went north, it definitely didn’t help the column overcome that slight warm nose off the water. That initial slug of precip from earlier on in the evening appeared to be key for central Maryland. Got evap cooling going early on which helped temps drop 5-7 degrees before the main batch of precip arrived. 

2 minutes ago, Ravens94 said:

There is a substantial north trend with wave 2 on the HRRR and others 

A bit. Looks like the HRRR gets some virga to here lol. RGEM maybe a few flakes. Last 2 runs of the RGEM really captured the light precip zone here overnight pretty well, although it indicated mostly snow, which was incorrect.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ravens94 said:

There is a substantial north trend with wave 2 on the HRRR and others 

You’re damn right there is! Look at the precip train. It appears to be oriented pretty much exactly how it’s been all evening. I would have been shocked to see short term guidance not bring round 2 further north. Sucks the SLP isn’t able to track further north though. Looks like we’ll still swing and miss despite the improvement. However, there’s been enough of a swing in guidance and OBS on the ground to cancel the watch in Charlottesville and Richmond and have it replaced by an advisory for  2” of snow and some slop. Looks like LWX isn’t very enthused about round 2. 

6 minutes ago, catoctin wx said:

Just woke up and measured a nice 4 inches outside in Frederick.  I'll take it

I was up in Emmitsburg and Thurmont earlier to get my son around 9-10pm and it was snowing pretty good for sure. I will say... rates and accumulation were notably better closer to where 15 meets 70 (Frederick) than it was at mount Saint Mary’s. Mount airy is where I saw the craziest snow. There were Numerous accidents, including a flipped over car on 70

Precip still appears to be moving almost due west to east. I assume the boundary is forecasted to drop south at some point and force precip south with it? Just don’t see how that other precip misses us otherwise. Precip up near Charlestown and toward the MD/WV border appears to coming right at us?

AF55CC37-2757-41AD-82D9-6C29243394F9.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Looks like the dry zone has finally passed and the radar is filling a bit. The snow/sleet mix is back lol.

Should be some cooling aloft on the backside of this, so maybe I can salvage a couple hours of mostly snow here this morning.

Is it just my sleepy weenie eyes, or does the moisture in WV look like it’s headed directly our way?

7 minutes ago, jayyy said:

I was up in Emmitsburg and Thurmont earlier to get my son around 9-10pm and it was snowing pretty good for sure. I will say... rates and accumulation were notably better closer to where 15 meets 70 (Frederick) than it was at mount Saint Mary’s. 

Huh, usually it is the other way around. We definitely had some nice rates right around 10pm here.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, catoctin wx said:

Huh, usually it is the other way around. We definitely had some nice rates right around 10pm here.   

For sure! I was shocked to see snow lighten up as I got up to mount Saint Mary’s around 930. Better snow pack, but less new snow . It seemed like MSM was JUST too far north to get in on the heavier banding... that or the area was being robbed of some lift due to subsidence because of the very heavy snow falling right to the south. Once I left the mount and went down 15 toward 70, the roads / snow got noticeably worse in Thurmont and again when I got to 70 near Frederick. The left lane of 70 was completely covered with snow near Monrovia and Frederick and I saw multiple car crashes happen. Quite the drive.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jayyy said:

Precip still appears to be moving almost due west to east. I assume the boundary is forecasted to drop south at some point and force precip south with it? Just don’t see how that other precip misses us otherwise. Precip up near Charlestown and toward the MD/WV border appears to coming right at us?

AF55CC37-2757-41AD-82D9-6C29243394F9.jpeg

15 years later and I can still hear my Meteorology professors and lead forecasters screaming "NEVER ADVECT RADAR" from across the weather station

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, jayyy said:

For sure! I was shocked to see snow lighten up as I got up to mount Saint Mary’s around 930. Better snow pack, but less new snow . It seemed like MSM was JUST too far north to get in on the heavier banding... that or the area was being robbed of some lift due to subsidence because of the very heavy snow falling right to the south. Once I left the mount and went down 15 toward 70, the roads / snow got noticeably worse in Thurmont and again when I got to 70 near Frederick. The left lane of 70 was completely covered with snow near Monrovia and Frederick and I saw multiple car crashes happen. Quite the drive.  

Damn, sounds like quite the drive you had. Glad you made it back safely!

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic