Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2-7-21 Sunday 8-12 hour nor'easter snowstorm roughly 5A-5P

wdrag

11 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Am not adjusting anything in this thread headline til at least 630A Wednesday.  EC seems a little robust, but we're getting down to D5-6 so it's got life.  GFSv16 is right there with the EC.

Keep at it... will review again Wednesday morning. 

I really like reading your write-ups. It reminds me of when I was kid listening to the weather channel, and had no idea what was going on behind the scenes.

Now I'm just older and still have no idea what's going on. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

25 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

Snow on top of snow is not something we see that often in the metro area should would be awesome if this verified (don’t expect Friday’s cutter to be that strong so a lot of the snow shouldn’t melt) 

Friday went from 50s and cutter to 30s and showers and snow showers 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, North and West said:

I really like reading your write-ups. It reminds me of when I was kid listening to the weather channel, and had no idea what was going on behind the scenes.

It reminds me of when I was a slightly younger adult reading Walt's AFDs.

Good times!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, North and West said:

I read this and couldn't stop laughing. That is me, yet I still come here for a good dose of "If I only knew what the heck they are talking about". Many years ago I had a private tour of the Weather Channel in Atlanta. I knew nothing other than low pressure goes counter-clockwise and high, clockwise. The tour was cool, none the less, just like this site.  

• Like 1

i had no idea mr. wdrag wasn't just a meteorologist but an actual NWS employee.  i am very grateful he continues to grace us with his knowledge and discussion even in retirement.  i would be slightly more grateful if his forecasts for this weekend keep the snow below 6 inches so that i have a chance of finding somewhere to park at my apartment complex before March.

• Like 6

59 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

Gfs and cmc are right now ots but given how consistent euro has been I’d be surprised if this ends up ots 

GFS is garbage. I put more weight on another less than stellar model, the ICON, which at 18z has a storm. GFSv16 seems to be much better and has a storm on its 06z run but 12z run didn't come out for some reason. Cmc hopefully shows something at 00z and GFS will play catchup like it always does. 

59 minutes ago, HeadInTheClouds said:

GFS is garbage. I put more weight on another less than stellar model, the ICON, which at 18z has a storm. GFSv16 seems to be much better and has a storm on its 06z run but 12z run didn't come out for some reason. Cmc hopefully shows something at 00z and GFS will play catchup like it always does. 

Icon is lousy too but probably too amped is actually a bigger risk than ots with this. 

16 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

It did very well with both the December 16-17 and the most recent storm. I am not sure why it didn’t run for the 12z and 18z cycles.

(02 Feb 2021) GFSv16 and HRW FV3 data have been unavailable since 12z due to NCEP data flow problems. We are not aware of an ETA from NCEP.

• Like 3