George BM

February Banter 2021

4 minutes ago, ovechkin said:

Feb 2021 has featured major to historic snows in... Dallas, San Antonio, Nashville, Little Rock, Seattle, Cincinnati, St Louis. Places like Chicago and NYC also have been hit big. But we can’t get a simple high end advisory snow in DC. 3 inches to cover the grass and street. Need a miracle, even in a good airmass. The 24 hour trends pre event look like they have commenced. At least we will have plenty of ice for our scotch. 

It’s a tragedy that will be documented and brought to life through literature and film for hundreds of years.

You thought Titanic was an emotional movie? Just wait for this one.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

.today has that uh oh feeling to it,

Kinda feel the same. Not sure why. Very leery however. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

It’s a tragedy that will be documented and brought to life through literature and film for hundreds of years.

You thought Titanic was an emotional movie? Just wait for this one.

4yd3ak.jpg

• Haha 6

5 minutes ago, WhiteoutMD said:

Ice is the headline not snow with this how bad will it get is the question?

i think its both. some of us will see more snow than ice. :) 

Just now, North Balti Zen said:

Corollary to a post in the main that starts with “this is banter but” being in the wrong place is “my bar is___ inches”. 

this is banter but my bar is 0 inches and i hope warnings are issued

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

I'll say this, every 6z run is a real eye opener, my bold call is this....NWS does NOT pull the trigger on WSW for most for snow.

Off hour runs. NAM will start the 12z with a blitzkrieg

6 minutes ago, WhiteoutMD said:

Yea you will do great 90% snow 5-8 inches enjoy

Thanks, I always do. 

6 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Off hour runs. NAM will start the 12z with a blitzkrieg

I mean it has to, you have to hope this is the waffle zone period then a slight push back later today to a more robust system. To quote psu….the problem is...but...trends aren't great....I'm joking mostly but it's getting sort of ugly up in here.

The ultimate Deb Downer prediction for DCA for this storm....

we blow by the forecasted high of 35 and hit 39 or 40. Clouds roll in. Prevents radiational cooling. Despite the airmass we still have to watch the turtle like speed of the temp drop while dews start to rise. Precip starts as snow with marginal temps, maybe whitens the grass a bit cools everything down. The warm nose then suddenly appears and changes things to Sleet/FZR. DCA reports 0.6 of a few flakes and pellets.

;) 

Considering this was rain a few days ago, I’ll take my sleet storm and be happy.  Too much doom and gloom up in here.  No wonder why tracking storms just isn’t fun anymore.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, nj2va said:

Considering this was rain a few days ago, I’ll take my sleet storm and be happy.  Too much doom and gloom up in here.  No wonder why tracking storms just isn’t fun anymore.

been that way for the last couple events. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Deck Pic said:

19 now.  Windy and cloudy so will only get down to 13.  

This has been a cold Feb here...about -3....But we havent really seen any super cold.  It's just been persistent highs of upper 20s to mid 30s, and lows in the low 20s.  And Cloudy 80-90% of the time.  My lowest temp since I got here is 13.  And I was only in the teens one other night. And my low max  is 26.  I have a shot at single digits this weekend.  But only for a night or two. 

1 hour ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

You’ll find that it’s cloudy out here most of the time in winter. It’s weird. You often can see the edge of the cloud deck to the south and east and it will just sit there all day.

Y'all live in as-close-to-heaven in VA/WV area as you can get. After numerous brewery crawls along Rt. 7 between Leesburg/Winchester over the years, we briefly considered an eventual retirement move to Winchester area, but I can't take the cold like I used to...which sucks, because I've always preferred to be in the mountains. We'll likely head south to one of the Carolinas in a few years (where, apparently, our snow chances are better anyhow), but I've fallen in love with the location of DeckPic's rental after seeing his recent pics, and want to take some weekend trips to that corner of WV before we leave for good.

4 minutes ago, nj2va said:

I'm opposite of most people here. I hate tracking events and only enjoy the actual weather. Once a storm starts I tune out and no longer even look at radar. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mdhokie said:

the first one wasn't the whole thing. a6 just posted the whole event map.

Ah, dang it. Reading on phone at breakfast table didn't bother took look at hours. Just assuming the worst this year lol. Thx

1 minute ago, WhiteoutMD said:

will we survive? nam3km_asnowd_neus_61.png

nope. someone get @WxWatcher007 on the phone, looks to get busy. 

20 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

I'm opposite of most people here. I hate tracking events and only enjoy the actual weather. Once a storm starts I tune out and no longer even look at radar. 

Being that most of the time I just don’t understand all that goes into tracking, I am the same way. I am happy just being an observer at the ground level and letting my eyes help those confirm what they are tracking. 

• Like 1

I can’t decide which is worse: 10:1 snow maps that include sleet or snow depth maps that must be based on measuring on top of your running car’s hood.

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I can’t decide which is worse: 10:1 snow maps that include sleet or snow depth maps that must be based on measuring on top of your running car’s hood.

anyone who posts either clearly has an agenda