Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan. 31-Feb. 2 Miller B storm

LVblizzard

3 minutes ago, LVblizzard said:

I’d be lying if I said the NAM didn’t have me a little on edge. It’s been the first to sniff out big northwest trends in the past. Of course there’s a lot of times when it’s off its rocker too, but you just can’t completely toss it right now.

Yeah... I feel better being out in Lancaster County but would like that trend to slow down or even reverse a bit. 

You know how over the years models will spit out some ridiculous storm and we joke "give me that under 60 hours and we're partying"? Many in SE PA are bullseyed including myself with under 3hrs from the onset and I'm not comfortable.....at all. This has a very high bust potential for SE PA thay could go either way and we are relying on a capture at just the right latitude to get it done for us. That is no small task. The NAM and ICON continual shifts have me on edge. Glad I am working later today. Hoping for the best, braced for a disaster. I still have PTSD from March 2001. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, LVblizzard said:

I’d be lying if I said the NAM didn’t have me a little on edge. It’s been the first to sniff out big northwest trends in the past. Of course there’s a lot of times when it’s off its rocker too, but you just can’t completely toss it right now.

It isnt alone. More concerning are many eps members hitting on a line from Binghamton NY over to Bos. That is quite a jump N. If this capture doesn't happen at just the right time we are talking 4-7" in parts of SE PA vs 1-3'

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

You know how over the years models will spit out some ridiculous storm and we joke "give me that under 60 hours and we're partying"? Many in SE PA are bullseyed including myself with under 3hrs from the onset and I'm not comfortable.....at all. This has a very high bust potential for SE PA thay could go either way and we are relying on a capture at just the right latitude to get it done for us. That is no small task. The NAM and ICON continual shifts have me on edge. Glad I am working later today. Hoping for the best, braced for a disaster. I still have PTSD from March 2001. 

I don't think this will be a March 01 redux, but a repeat of December 2020 possibly. When the heaviest totals were over us for awhile then they shifted all north but we still all got 6-10" in.

10 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Oh yea that storm we are getting 20”+ reality a few sprinkles sun poking out later in the day total accumulation zero!!  That was a Miller B set up.  Didn’t a meteorologist lose his job on that one? 

7 minutes ago, Kevin Reilly said:

Oh yea that storm we are getting 20”+ reality a few sprinkles sun poking out later in the day total accumulation zero!!  That was a Miller B set up.  Didn’t a meteorologist lose his job on that one? 

Yes John Bolaris at Fox 29

• Like 2

Just now, Newman said:

The first weenie ledge of my life. Was the first year I learned how to look at the models (AVN, EURO once a day, NGM, ETA etc) euro and eta backed off and sent it north but AVN kept hanging on. Since AVN out performed the ETA in the dec 30 2000 storm and the earlier December southeast event Mets hanged onto it to their doom. 

• Weenie 1

Just now, Newman said:

Bingo!! It was more of a trivia question but that whole thing was a complete disaster of a storm even Paul Kocin got it wrong.  

I too am on edge due to that storm.  Like snow is just going to appear on top of us feeling.  

Miller Bs are notorious for pulling the rug out DC Baltimore to PHL then your looking NE Pa and North Jersey to down east Maine getting pummeled while we have mood flakes and an East wind that goes NE the N then WNW in time.  

I am bracing for the disaster hoping for the best so yes I’m PSTD from 2001 and also knowing we are sitting at 7” total at the airport last two years. 

Well, I will say this. We need the NAM at 12z to halt. No questions asked. As we go thru more runs, the closer we r getting into the NAMs wheelhouse. Trash the model all you want, it has sniffed out last second trends before more than just a handful of times. 12z will be telling. If it continues the late capture and shift N, we are going to have to start putting weight into the potential solution. 

The most important NAM run since the Thomas Jefferson Storm of 1772

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

Just now, Kevin Reilly said:

Bingo!! It was more of a trivia question but that whole thing was a complete disaster of a storm even Paul Kocin got it wrong.  

I too am on edge due to that storm.  Like snow is just going to appear on top of us feeling.  

Miller Bs are notorious for pulling the rug out DC Baltimore to PHL then your looking NE Pa and North Jersey to down east Maine getting pummeled while we have mood flakes and an East wind that goes NE the N then WNW in time.  

I am bracing for the disaster hoping for the best so yes I’m PSTD from 2001 and also knowing we are sitting at 7” total at the airport last two years. 

Well, this is a much different setup than that storm AND we are in prime climo with better modeling, so there's that. Still think the truth lies in between the 0z GFS and 6z Euro. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Well, I will say this. We need the NAM at 12z to halt. No questions asked. As we go thru more runs, the closer we r getting into the NAMs wheelhouse. Trash the model all you want, it has sniffed out last second trends before more than just a handful of times. 12z will be telling. If it continues the late capture and shift N, we are going to have to start putting weight into the potential solution. 

Yeah it would be nice, however check out DTs latest video. He showed the snow it had forecasted for southeast earlier this week. In less than 3 runs it completely shifted from like nothing to a hit 1-2 days out. That model has burned me big time when chasing storms.

I told myself after I didn’t go up to bgm that I will never not trust the EPS near game time, ever again. 

that being said, please come south NAM

29 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

While the NAM is still living in infamy from 2016. It’s skill scores are atrocious and there’s a reason it’s being discontinued. When you see a model make that large of a shift in the course of 6 hours one should be very Leary. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Well, this is a much different setup than that storm AND we are in prime climo with better modeling, so there's that. Still think the truth lies in between the 0z GFS and 6z Euro. 

Exactly this. I hate chasing this type of storm in March (or even April) as we have seen many, many times over the past decade. Climo is with us for a change. No talk of "well, you see, the sun angle..." or "gotta hope and pray the surface temps come down with the first flakes" here. This is looking to be a classic event. Cheers all around.

• Weenie 1

Latest WXSIM with 6z NAM/GFS blend coming up with a "plowable" event for NW Chester County PA to the tune of 24" to 34"....sounds reasonable right?  Snow starts 7am Sunday and ends at 1am Wednesday - This might be the highest snow forecast WXSIM has ever produced....verification likelihood....nada!

Sunday: Dense overcast. A slight chance of snow in the morning, then a chance of
 snow in the afternoon. High 31. Wind chill around 22. Wind east around 2 mph in
 the morning, becoming 5 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation 60
 percent. Precipitation (liquid equivalent) mostly less than a quarter of an
 inch. Snow accumulation 1 to 2 inches.

Sunday night: Dense overcast. Snow likely. Low 26, but temperatures rising after
 midnight. Wind chill as low as 17. Wind east around 9 mph, gusting to 15 mph, in
 the evening, becoming 13 mph, gusting to 20 mph, after midnight. Chance of
 precipitation 80 percent. Precipitation (liquid equivalent) mostly around an
 inch. Snow accumulation 6 to 10 inches.

Monday: Dense overcast. Snow likely. Windy. High 33. Wind chill around 20. Wind
 east around 16 mph, gusting to 24 mph. Chance of precipitation 80 percent.
 Precipitation (liquid equivalent) mostly between 2 and 3 inches. Snow
 accumulation 15 to 20 inches.

Monday night: Dense overcast. Snow likely in the evening, then a chance of snow
 after midnight. Breezy. Low 29. Wind chill as low as 20. Wind northeast around
 13 mph, gusting to 22 mph. Chance of precipitation 80 percent. Precipitation
 (liquid equivalent) mostly between a quarter and half an inch. Snow accumulation
 around 2 inches.

Tuesday: Dense overcast in the morning, becoming cloudy in the afternoon. A
 chance of snow in the morning, then a slight chance of snow in the afternoon.
 Breezy. High 31. Wind chill around 20. Wind north around 12 mph, gusting to 21
 mph. Chance of precipitation 50 percent. Precipitation (liquid equivalent)
 mostly around a tenth of an inch. Snow accumulation about a quarter inch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

It isnt alone. More concerning are many eps members hitting on a line from Binghamton NY over to Bos. That is quite a jump N. If this capture doesn't happen at just the right time we are talking 4-7" in parts of SE PA vs 1-3'

We are certainly at the highest snow guidance at this point...there is nowhere to go but lower from here....I suspect many will be disappointed as I think reality is less than 10" for most...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChescoWx said:

We are certainly at the highest snow guidance at this point...there is nowhere to go but lower from here....I suspect many will be disappointed as I think reality is less than 10" for most...

You thinking this goes further north or back south Paul for most to get less than 10"?