Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 24-26th Potential Something Part 2

Chicago Storm

12 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Are we gonna consider Mon/Tue as the "storm total" at ORD?  Not that it's a big deal but let's say 9" occurs on Mon/Tue and then 1.3" or something on Wed/Thu with lake effect.  That would bring the 4 day total to 10.3" but it would feel cheap to call that a 10" storm. 

That will be a question for @RCNYILWX, as LOT would handle that decision.

1 minute ago, McHenrySnow said:

You've done well on every storm, I'm sure you'll do pretty well on this one. I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. 

I’m sure we will, but as I said last night, I was hoping for a shot at some truly impressive snows, so the trend towards something more garden variety (7-8”) is pretty crummy. Especially when considering the potential that was on the table. 

• Weenie 1

1 minute ago, ILSNOW said:

would love to know how much precip the 6z run of the Euro put out

6z on the right. 12z on the left (thru 20z Tuesday)

6 minutes ago, mimillman said:

Most noticeable difference is as cross DVN and south central Iowa. The lake is becoming increasingly important 

0DDD3D71-9775-4834-9491-BE33A0F6D8C5.jpeg

Just now, hlcater said:

I’m sure we will, but as I said last night, I was hoping for a shot at some truly impressive snows, so the trend towards something more garden variety (7-8”) is pretty crummy. Especially when considering the potential that was on the table. 

Understandable, but you've had more than double most of the Chicago posters - and, without the lake, my concern is the drying trend on this side of the Mississippi. You're at least close enough to the better dynamics that you might manage more than you expect. 

7 minutes ago, hlcater said:

Time for you to swap with StormfanaticInd

• Haha 2

That will be a question for [mention=3997]RCNYILWX[/mention], as LOT would handle that decision.
I'm sure it would be for the Monday-Tuesday period for the event. Any additional snow could be counted as a 4-day total but I think the 2-day total would be what we use for PNS and LSRs.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Chicago WX said:

Iowa people are spoiled when 7-8” is garden variety. Many LOT peeps jonesing for that much snow in one storm. :D

In most other cases I wouldn’t be lol but I was hoping that CR could end their 40 year 12” storm drought with this storm, as it looked like a possibility yesterday. Certainly not going to complain with 7-8”, just was hoping that those runs with 12” to the river would be realized.

Been awhile since Iowa has had such luck with storms and will likely be awhile until it happens again, which is why I am relatively disappointed with the outcome here. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

I'm wondering if moisture is being under modeled since we were missing crucial sampling this morning. I know the trends are for this to weaken a bit faster but moisture feed into system should still be sufficient. 

We've seen models go too far in one direction in the past, only to correct back the other direction as we close in on the event.  Definitely still time for the pendulum to swing back in the other direction.

• Like 3

Just now, cyclone77 said:

We've seen models go to far in one direction in the past, only to correct back the other direction as we close in on the event.  Definitely still time for the pendulum to swing back in the other direction.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a swing back towards a bit more QPF in 00z or even 12z tomorrow. 

• Like 3

I’ll stick with my 6.5” MBY call, but I’m not feeling too confident. This morning’s turd duster was all needles and while tomorrow’s an entirely different system and moisture source, I imagine that while the initial push may impress - dry air, diminishing radar returns, and poor accumulation efficiency will plague the rest of the event, even with modest lake contribution.

Due to duration and anticipated light/moderate rates I would think LOT goes with an advisory and MKE does the same for its southern tier of counties.

Funny, a day or so ago people were talking blizzard conditions. 

At least it should end up being better than anything else we’ve seen this winter. I hope!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, tuanis said:

I’ll stick with my 6.5” MBY call, but I’m not feeling too confident. This morning’s turd duster was all needles and while tomorrow’s an entirely different system and moisture source, I imagine that while the initial push may impress - dry air, diminishing radar returns, and poor accumulation efficiency will plague the rest of the event, even with modest lake contribution.

Due to duration and anticipated light/moderate rates I would think LOT goes with an advisory and MKE does the same for its southern tier of counties.

Funny, a day or so ago people were talking blizzard conditions. 

At least it should end up being better than anything else we’ve seen this winter. I hope!

I sincerely doubt LOT goes with an advisory for the largest storm in the metro in 3 years and the largest event by far of the season.

5 minutes ago, mimillman said:

I sincerely doubt LOT goes with an advisory for the largest storm in the metro in 3 years and the largest event by far of the season.

Tough call for sure. I could see the initial burst of snow maybe getting close to 6-hour warning criteria, but rates look to drop off pretty quick. Glad I’m not making the call.

9 minutes ago, mimillman said:

Agree.  The overall lack of warning criteria events this season plus wind component will make them go with a warning imo, even if they are not so confident on amounts meeting the threshold.

Our criteria for WSW verification is 6"/12 hours and 8"/24 hours. That might be tough to accomplish verification wise, or maybe the pendulum does swing back guidance wise. Either way, I think there's enough evidence to largely stay the course with amounts. Our primary QPF input is WPC and they apply time lagging to their QPF. I also think they mostly stay the course in light of the GEFS and prior runs of the EPS justifying that. Hopefully the new EPS doesn't cut back much. 

Regarding what headline we issue today, we've noticed that issuing an advisory after having issued a watch can be found confusing to the public. I'm not part of the decision making process on the headline, but my speculation is that our intent is to issue a warning even if we don't technically meet WSW criteria. I'm very confident DVN will issue a WSW. When you throw in the wind impacts on top of having the largest snowfall for most of the metro since 2018 or 2019, that should support going with a WSW.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2