Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2021 Mid-Atlantic Garden, Lawn, and Other Green Stuff Thread

mattie g

4 hours ago, IronTy said:

I planted my tomatoes and peppers about three weeks ago and they still look like crap.  Especially the peppers.  Hopefully they can hold on until the weekend when we turn the corner.  Lettuce looks good though...

We need the overnight lows above 60 degrees. Just too cold this year.

2 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

How's everything looking so far, at least what you've already got planted? Mid-40s for a number of nights in a row hasn't done any damage, has it?

We got down to 47 last night, enough to kick on the heat this morning. I'm not looking for 90s and humidity yet, but please oh please, can we just have nighttime lows above 50-ish....  :( 

No damage at all. Aside from the cool-weather plants that I direct-seeded and the garlic I planted in the fall (which are *really* healthy right now), I have nine tomato plants (five different varieties), four jalapenos, and one Thai chile in the ground. All plants are really healthy, if not exactly exploding with growth...but I'm OK with that. Their root systems are getting established, so once the temps head up they should be able to kick into gear pretty quickly.

I'll be planting basil in and among the tomatoes this weekend and cantaloupes probably next weekend. Really excited about the new basil variety (Prospera) that's supposedly resistant to downy mildew, which has been a real problem for me come July-August in the last 3-4 years. I have another variety that doesn't have that resistance, so it'll be a really interesting experiment to see how they compare come mid- to late-season.

Agreed on not needed big heat right now, but yeah...nighttime lows out of the mid 40s would be nice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

No damage at all. Aside from the cool-weather plants that I direct-seeded and the garlic I planted in the fall (which are *really* healthy right now), I have nine tomato plants (five different varieties), four jalapenos, and one Thai chile in the ground. All plants are really healthy, if not exactly exploding with growth...but I'm OK with that. Their root systems are getting established, so once the temps head up they should be able to kick into gear pretty quickly.

I'll be planting basil in and among the tomatoes this weekend and cantaloupes probably next weekend. Really excited about the new basil variety (Prospera) that's supposedly resistant to downy mildew, which has been a real problem for me come July-August in the last 3-4 years. I have another variety that doesn't have that resistance, so it'll be a really interesting experiment to see how they compare come mid- to late-season.

Agreed on not needed big heat right now, but yeah...nighttime lows out of the mid 40s would be nice.

Man my pepper plants each have like 3 leaves left on them and I'm praying they hold on for a few more days. This cold dry wind isn't helping at all.  I started mine indoors as seed in late February.  The tomatoes are doing ok but my banana peppers look like shit.   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Like others have said, this spring has been fine temperature-wise, but the wind has been cruddy.

I don't mind it that much generally but it hasn't been great for hardening off plants. I've been moving them to a relatively sheltered spot but just getting to and from the spot has been dicey.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, bsperlin said:

Azalea flowers have opened at their normal (25 year average) time.

A freeze at the end of March killed a lot of buds, and also some flowers that opened. As you can see from the picture, some flowers survived :D

So pretty.  Is that a photo from today?  Our front/side has a ton of azaleas (as does our neighborhood) but they’re well past bloom by now.  

No, that was from April 29. My azaleas usually peak around the last week of April, first week of May. My definition of "peak" is that the most plants are in bloom at the same time.

The first azalea flower appeared this year March 24, later to be wiped out by the frost. My last "spring" flower will probably be in mid-June. Starting in August, some of the plants will put out a scattering of flowers until the first frost in mid-November.

I measure the first flower on each of my 300 plants and, while the bloom times vary from year to year, they vary around a pretty consistent mean. Many plants have been measured for 26 years.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, CAPE said:

And dry. Going to mow and run the sprinkler this evening/tomorrow morning.

Yep, a whole sale change is evident now as dry reinforces early heat potential.  Grass already stressing but I am not going to weater, too early and a losing battle for me.  With your set up, and I recall with your nice patio  set up in the back, is different than mine. all i can hope is for rain every three weeks to keep the grass crowns alive beneath the surface for late August or early Sept green up. ( hopefully ) 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, CAPE said:

And dry. Going to mow and run the sprinkler this evening/tomorrow morning.

Imagine the Western Atlantic off the East Coast should warm dramitically the next 1 to 3 weeks . 

I am ready , ha ha past ready , to go to the beach and do some body boarding , getting some Sam's pizza in in North Wildwood and of course, icecream from the famous

fudgy wudge man 

image.jpeg.d7d4d714a38b334a127f84c0fe979615.jpeg

35 minutes ago, frd said:

Yep, a whole sale change is evident now as dry reinforces early heat potential.  Grass already stressing but I am not going to weater, too early and a losing battle for me.  With your set up, and I recall with your nice patio  set up in the back, is different than mine. all i can hope is for rain every three weeks to keep the grass crowns alive beneath the surface for late August or early Sept green up. ( hopefully ) 

It's always a losing battle here lol.  By early summer it starts going downhill with competition from all the trees, high sun, and well drained soil. At the end, the grass is mostly burned beyond repair. I reseeded with the full sun blend of BB last fall, and I am following their fertilizing schedule. I would be shocked if it makes a difference, but as usual, everything is green and lush for now.

3 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Euro and GGEM both under 0.1” of rain through D10.

I dont wish for a major drought but just a little dry is nice for us river fisherman.  Rivers are already in good shape....just need them to come down a bit more and it will be prime.

Got the rest of the gardens planted in the nice weather yesterday -- tropical milkweeds, lantana and titan vincas.  Get out deer and rabbits, nothing for you here!

Anyone have large maple trees that are struggling?  I have three that seeded so heavily that they were completely covered in brown spinners that made them look like it was late November instead of late April in my yard. :(  Then they dropped and the trees are really struggling to leaf out.  It's mid-May and they are only maybe halfway leafed out.  I thought multiple branches were dead but they finally have some tiny leaf buds.  I guess they'll finally be fully leafed out by June.  That's crazy.  Anyone else seeing this?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

Got the rest of the gardens planted in the nice weather yesterday -- tropical milkweeds, lantana and titan vincas.  Get out deer and rabbits, nothing for you here!

Anyone have large maple trees that are struggling?  I have three that seeded so heavily that they were completely covered in brown spinners that made them look like it was late November instead of late April in my yard. :(  Then they dropped and the trees are really struggling to leaf out.  It's mid-May and they are only maybe halfway leafed out.  I thought multiple branches were dead but they finally have some tiny leaf buds.  I guess they'll finally be fully leafed out by June.  That's crazy.  Anyone else seeing this?

The massive amount of water past three years may have them stressed. 

• Like 1

Got my vegetable garden planted yesterday.  Did a raised cedar bed and planted green beans, cherry tomatoes, peppers (red, green, jalapeño), and cucumber.  First year with one so want to test it out and hone my skills.

@mattie g - I was thinking of trying onions but don’t know if the raised bed is deep enough.  What’s your setup?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nj2va said:

Got my vegetable garden planted yesterday.  Did a raised cedar bed and planted green beans, cherry tomatoes, peppers (red, green, jalapeño), and cucumber.  First year with one so want to test it out and hone my skills.

@mattie g - I was thinking of trying onions but don’t know if the raised bed is deep enough.  What’s your setup?

I’ve only done onions twice, but a raised bed should certainly work. I’d say that it’s a bit late for onions, though. They’re best going into the ground as soon as you can work the soil in late winter/early spring.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1