• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb Long Range Discussion (Day 3 and beyond) - MERGED

WinterWxLuvr

May go the entire month of February with a - AO. Meanwhile,  NW and Western Canada will load with a deepening arctic air mass and it appears that makes it way  East in time behind a cutter and then a wave may travel afterwards ushering in the arctic air.   

1901002995_ao.sprd2(3).thumb.gif.0848630f0d35ba492b6519f6228f0564.gif

When you have as weak vortex, such as we have currently,  you can go to this look. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

Firs time looking at the LR in a few days.  GEFS really honking a cold pattern with ample blocking.  Maybe we will make up for 4 w̶e̶e̶k̶s̶ years of handwringing and letdowns with a rockin Feb!

UcMtQbf.png

Fixed :lol: And we would certainly be entering February with a bang if this weekend goes as modeled!! Seriously...this weekend producing and a rockin' February is what we need in the worst way after the past 4-5 years. That would be a heck of a way to break the warning-snow drought!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, poolz1 said:

Firs time looking at the LR in a few days.  GEFS really honking a cold pattern with ample blocking.  Maybe we will make up for 4 weeks of handwringing and letdowns with a rockin Feb!

UcMtQbf.png

@poolz1

The GEFS did well as Ventrice mentioned,  identifying the cold period , see below. 

And check out the GEFS 18z  

I believe the GEPS is also cold,  but the EPS is not. Maybe the EPS will move towards the GEFS

Screenshot_20210128-190333_Chrome.jpg

This vortex feature near Feb 10 th. swings through.  

gfs_nh-vort3d_20210128_f324_rot000.png

@frd Yes...def impressive for the GEFS LR.  I'll have to look at what the weeklies were suggesting at the same time....

Check out the cross polar flow from D10 to the end of the run.  The Aleutian low and 50/50 low both spinning in place...HP over GL.  Nice!

Probably will have to endure a cold and dry stretch but the next relaxation will have more going for it with real Arctic cold in the pattern and just the fact that its Feb.

40Jnzyg.gif

• Like 2

1 hour ago, frd said:

Deepest - AO is yet to arrive.  Very impressive dive from already negative values. 

1704847639_ao.sprd2(4).thumb.gif.ebb77b0220f0ca63265e990d184b7d8f.gif

Just incredible that it's so warm out.. goes with my theory that the Arctic ice real melt is lagging what it really is.. like, you know that by 2035-2040.. so things happen then, ya know? 

1 hour ago, frd said:

Based off some comments from HM along with other modeling I would speculate the EPS might cave to the GEFS longer term colder ideas. 

Incredible that the Stratosphere is so warm too.. we could go -NAO through February. (I'd be interested to see what happens with that in the last week of the month.) 

9 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

The wave along the front type deal behind the cutter next week has been showing up occasionally.  

1055 High just North of Montana , Brrr . 

As @psuhoffman mentioned,  we need some help from the SE ridge, if not, the pattern may go cold and dry. I think there is potential here.  

1612710000-DOOCStw7CHQ.pngju

• Like 1

Very insightful.

As you can see from Dr. Butler's  images,  it shows the averaged surface temp response form all SSWes,  and then the other image represents the surface temps from Jan 5 to the 23 rd. 

Clear to see the colder temp response was on the other side of the pole in the NH during that time period. 

Amy makes the point that due to various factors,  (  ie. Arctic blocking location, North Atlantic jet stream )  when we look at this again in 60 days based on a colder pattern change coming up here in Eastern NA., we may experience colder surface temps.