• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec (Edit: Jan1/..2 ) multi-faceted ptype mess potential...

Typhoon Tip

As this mid to late week has come into a mid range, the previous synopsis of a full latitude trough has apparently succumb to a fast N/stream top heavy flow, and said trough in all guidance has now bifurcated.  Complex evolution involving the residual southern stream then rides up into a nascent/model introduced cold insert to 40 N

This has sheared the N/ counterpart E across southern Canada and escaping thru the Maritime toward week's end... The back side of this is concomitantly NVA and depending on guidance ...stream confluence is noted.  But all guidance now also roll nascent/materializing +PP across Ontario in this wake.  That 'growth' in this anticyclone ( I suspect ..) is insidiously important as it likely imposes a bit of cold bust potential due to acceleration of tuck/barrier jet flow/ orientation therein, as the vestigial S aspect of said sheared trough is then rising up the semi-permanent SW Atlan ridge..This feature will pose an overrunning risk as it will ( undoubtedly..) be toting along a respectable theta-e mass ...and due to the morphology of it running up into a confluence, it will 'stretch' in the x-coordinate ... this can manifest in a light to moderate longer duration cold rain/mix/snow ( S-->N) event, or perhaps split into multi wave/pulse even spanng 24 to 36 hours ..

This is all speculative due to the fact that although these visions are barrowed from climo and experience... the offending tropospheric wave features are just nosing into the denser more physically realized sonde array this evening an overnight...  Seems to be a recurring concern as of late, doesn't it. 

Prelim slated for refining:

- Right now I would say light to moderate event by our storm-climate standards.  

- I would also correct the GFS 2-m temps down 3-5F N of the boundary ...and don't be afraid to imagine 15 or even 20F temp compression along 10 miles of frontal position in a situation like this.

- Appears to me to be 70 or % for advisory ice/snow in CNE with low probability for warning ...  50% for these down as far as mid CT/NW RI, but these headlines probably get headachy due to ice S vs a mix of mangled bullet and snow N.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Couple guys have a rainer . They’ve locked in rain for all of SNE. Let’s watch them and see how they react 

It’ll be fun to see how both camps react for entertainment... seems both sides of the coin have locked in their solutions at some substantial lead times, ha.  Rain or winter.  Forecasts locked in.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Couple guys have a rainer . They’ve locked in rain for all of SNE. Let’s watch them and see how they react 

I haven't locked anything in. I mentioned in the blog the path to a colder outcome...the SW is sheared. I just don't favor a major ice storm at this time. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1