Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 2021

40/70 Benchmark

14 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Carbon copy of January 2013 and 2015. The bitching is always worse when the pattern isn't garbage but we're still not getting the snowstorms.

I think that makes sense....last year once we hit like mid January, I just checked out because I knew what we were working with by that point. Its also tougher for me to do that now bc I have so much down time at work these days.....a month from now, I'll be able to dive into fantasy baseball mode. Defending a title isn't easy, and need prep time lol

This is a microcosm of January so far....long wave setup is decent, but can't buy a scenario where the shortwaves cooperate. You have a robust shortwave (even closed off) in the midwest but it can't do shit for us because it's too close to the 1/17 system.

image.png.5b682453d2a4a9f31e68647452d8c3ea.png

• Like 2

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

This is a microcosm of January so far....long wave setup is decent, but can't buy a scenario where the shortwaves cooperate. You have a robust shortwave (even closed off) in the midwest but it can't do shit for us because it's too close to the 1/17 system.

Of course, the rainer is the one that prevails....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Regardless of what happens, you did a good job of identifying a relatively favorable period.....problem is that the vast majority of favorable periods don't work out.

Yes, we discussed exactly this. I still am looking forward to the rest of winter. I still believe we are in for a fantastic stretch.  Been there done this. Something will pop

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Yes, we discussed exactly this. I still am looking forward to the rest of winter. I still believe we are in for a fantastic stretch.  Been there done this. Something will pop

I have always thought that we are in for a good stretch....nothing historic, but I would be pretty shocked if this season went on to be a ratter.

Any type of forecast at 2-5 months lead is obscenely difficult....realistically speaking, obviously you want it to work out as speculated in terms of snowfall, but at the end of the day, all that can really be expected from that range to approximate the general pattern. The snowfall part is just too dependent on shortwave chaos.

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Of course, the rainer is the one that prevails....

Yep and it wasn't that far from being snow...when we need a block to hold the line just a little longer, it doesn't on the 1/16-1/17 system.

Frustrating. But that's how it goes.

This past couple weeks wasn't a textbook snow pattern, but it was serviceable. It was one of those rare "mild but potentially snowy" blocky patterns. Late Dec 2012 was kind of like that but we managed a couple good events (at least away from water).

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Pretty much. And I expect some storms to go south of us too. I'll still take the overall look and go to my grave with it, whatever happens. 

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Yep and it wasn't that far from being snow...when we need a block to hold the line just a little longer, it doesn't on the 1/16-1/17 system.

Frustrating. But that's how it goes.

This past couple weeks wasn't a textbook snow pattern, but it was serviceable. It was one of those rare "mild but potentially snowy" blocky patterns. Late Dec 2012 was kind of like that but we managed a couple good events (at least away from water).

Yea, I didn't counter because I'm not invested in this next rainer, but I saw some claiming it should trend east due to the block. The block relents a bit, before regrouping due to the wavebreak resulting from that system. I pointed that out in my Monday blog.

Luck, chaos, whatever you want to call it....having the block briefly loosen its grip at precisely the wrong time, and then not having the follow up system able to amplify bc of the wave spacing with the lead rainer is atmospheric chaos that it tough to predict, or attribute to the pattern.

11 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, I didn't counter because I'm not invested in this next rainer, but I saw some claiming it should trend east due to the block. The block relents a bit, before regrouping due to the wavebreak resulting from that system. I pointed that out in my Monday blog.

Luck, chaos, whatever you want to call it....having the block briefly loosen its grip at precisely the wrong time, and then not having the follow up system able to amplify bc of the wave spacing with the lead rainer is atmospheric chaos that it tough to predict, or attribute to the pattern.

I will add, though, that this is a more prominent issue in moderate to strong la ninas because the Pacific flow is so prevalent. This is why I didn't forecast a HECS this season, though that Dec system arguably qualifies due to the early PNA/NAO couplet.

While its tough to explicitly predict during any given system, there are certain ENSO states in which one can anticipate this being more of a seasonal theme.

11 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Enough is enough though. Move on with your life, go out and do something. 

Im not more than 5-8” from average and constant active rainers would be much more miserable but it is comical . I mean both groups seem on edge , so I would also develop thicker skin 

i mean why would anyone spend so much time on a forum when nothing is going on , both groups need other things to do . 

9 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Im not more than 5-8” from average and constant active rainers would be much more miserable but it is comical . I mean both groups seem on edge , so I would also develop thicker skin 

i mean why would anyone spend so much time on a forum when nothing is going on , both groups need other things to do . 

Yet here you are

• Haha 1