• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2021

jburns

Seems to me that faster rates, at least when the temp is marginal (30+), allows more of the liquid to simply drip off rather than freeze.  There some correlation between precip rates and temp.  In other words, if 1/4 inch falls in 2 hours into 32 degree air, not much will freeze.  If it falls over 18 hours or so, it is a much different story.  I've seen so many times when people get excited to see really heavy liquid move into 30+ air, and it has rarely if ever amounted to a major issue. (regardless of how many ice ice baby or Lights out posts are made :) ).

TW

23 minutes ago, tarheelwx said:

Love a good ice storm.  Been a long time. 

TW

https://climate.ncsu.edu/climate/winter/event_details?e=45

https://www.carolinacountry.com/departments/departments/feature-story/the-lights-were-out-in-ellerbe-and-derby

Vivid memories of this one back when we used to have winter in NC. We were without power in Greenville NC for 2 weeks. Dad had to burn coal in the fireplace. This storm started my fascination with weather.

• Like 3

Just now, BornAgain13 said:

Has anyone noticed the NAM and other models have trended slightly south today.  I know know EURO was a little out of range but many EPS members were still south... just something to watch. 

Yep. And the two 18Z models we have so far have trended the LP south and weaker. Less warmer air to be wrapped up into us.