Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2021

jburns

5 minutes ago, SnowDeac said:

Why are all these Lows dropping almost due south through Mexico on the Euro, vs coming into the gulf/continuing east? Seems wonky.

This is a really good question. I think this is a representation of a few things: 

GFS/Euro et al represent surface pressures in areas of elevation by taking the parcels at that elevation, and running them through an equation that converts to what the surface pressure would be at sea level. Mexico has a lot of elevation, and ground truth for most stations would likely be sub 950mb readings, which is why this is needed. This process can produce "wonky" isobar patterns (can also see this across the rocky mountains). This can create a "jumpy" representation of low pressures, which is why it looks like lows can shift to weird geographic locations.

Another thing is just the orientation of the trough- with a big trough oriented across the MS valley, shortwaves will dive Southeast-ward across that region, which will also naturally produce southward-ish moving low pressures. 

Lastly, you won't see as many cyclones (low pressures) forming in the gulf as you do the east coast- both the temperature gradient and low level vorticity, items you need to churn out big low pressures, aren't really as strong as they are the east coast, which is why you don't naturally see as many gulf lows form. 

• Like 7

40 minutes ago, ILMRoss said:

This is a really good question. I think this is a representation of a few things: 

GFS/Euro et al represent surface pressures in areas of elevation by taking the parcels at that elevation, and running them through an equation that converts to what the surface pressure would be at sea level. Mexico has a lot of elevation, and ground truth for most stations would likely be sub 950mb readings, which is why this is needed. This process can produce "wonky" isobar patterns (can also see this across the rocky mountains). This can create a "jumpy" representation of low pressures, which is why it looks like lows can shift to weird geographic locations.

Another thing is just the orientation of the trough- with a big trough oriented across the MS valley, shortwaves will dive Southeast-ward across that region, which will also naturally produce southward-ish moving low pressures. 

Lastly, you won't see as many cyclones (low pressures) forming in the gulf as you do the east coast- both the temperature gradient and low level vorticity, items you need to churn out big low pressures, aren't really as strong as they are the east coast, which is why you don't naturally see as many gulf lows form. 

Thanks. Awesome stuff.

• Like 1

I'd much, much, muuuuuch rather have a cold rain at 33F to any significant amount of freezing rain. December 2002 (I think it was, the last significant ice in the Triangle) was a nightmare. I was sawing and carrying tree limbs for many a weekend thereafter and it took over a decade for nearly all the widowmakers to finally come down.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, BigWeather said:

I'd much, much, muuuuuch rather have a cold rain at 33F to any significant amount of freezing rain. December 2002 (I think it was, the last significant ice in the Triangle) was a nightmare. I was sawing and carrying tree limbs for many a weekend thereafter and it took over a decade for nearly all the widowmakers to finally come down.

I was 11 yrs old living in Afton Ridge Area of Kannapolis where I grew up.... I remember my dad waking up for work at 4A that Morning and said it looked like 4th of July with all the transformers popping 

16 minutes ago, BigWeather said:

I remember sleeping 6 nights next to the fireplace with my family and having to shower at a friends house. No damage at our house but took weeks to clean up fallen trees at our farm in Franklin county. Also remember it snowing to begin that storm and sticking from the first flake. Must have been very cold leading up to it

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BornAgain13 said:

12z EURO trended colder. Significant snowstorm for Central VA , Significant ICE storm for Southern VA/Northern NC

I don’t trust the euro man.. it hasn’t been itself lately. I feel rain and mid 30s for our areas. The NAM’s thermals are also a red flag for me. 

• Like 1