• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

Rochesters point and click says green Christmas. Changeover doesn’t happen until 5/6 and snow is over by 7. Yuck. NWS is definitely tossing the gfs.  I think we still have a shot but that’s a gut punch...

Edit - I guess any snow during that changeover should really stick so perhaps not truly green, but not a true white Christmas by the definition either (1” on the ground).  A coating will do 

AF0B3475-3284-4568-8C33-01D877C85B0F.thumb.jpeg.2f67de23fb08e8281b764226ff0e14ae.jpeg

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Rochesters point and click says green Christmas. Changeover doesn’t happen until 5/6 and snow is over by 7. Yuck. NWS is definitely tossing the gfs.  I think we still have a shot but that’s a gut punch...

Edit - I guess any snow during that changeover should really stick so perhaps not truly green, but not a true white Christmas by the definition either (1” on the ground).  A coating will do 

AF0B3475-3284-4568-8C33-01D877C85B0F.thumb.jpeg.2f67de23fb08e8281b764226ff0e14ae.jpeg

We hold out hope. It’s kind of now cast at this point. These things often track a bit east at the last second (seems only when it hurts us). It’s close. But unlikely. Look at it this way, it would be a true Christmas miracle! 

4 hours ago, rochesterdave said:

We hold out hope. It’s kind of now cast at this point. These things often track a bit east at the last second (seems only when it hurts us). It’s close. But unlikely. Look at it this way, it would be a true Christmas miracle! 

Yeah, ur talking about these like you've seen one of these anomalous SLP's before, lol, they often go a bit East, RLMAO. come on guys, this one sailed a long time ago but we're such weather junkies that we refuse to see the writing on the wall, lol, me included!

16 hours ago, vortmax said:

I don't agree. See this:  The 06Z and 18Z model runs are just as accurate as the 00Z and 12Z runs. The sondes are a small part of the obs for model initial conditions these days. There are also satellite data and ACARS aircraft data among other data going into the model (VAD winds, NOAA profilers, buoys, ships, GOES cloud winds, GOES cloud-top pressures, GPS precipitable water, radar reflectivity and lightning, the list goes on and on). The model background also carries information from previous obs

Yeah, I've read that, or something similar in the past.  My thinking is that the more you run a program with millions of changing inputs, the more variability you may likely get. I still casually observe the "off hour" runs to offer 'interesting" solutions quite often.  In the case of this storm it's more noticeable as the area is right near the line between pretty different outcomes for Xmas holiday, which others have pointed out. :)

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Anyone remember the old school weather channel on the 8s forecast. I remember watching this for dec 1995 LES event in the city as a kid. The nostalgia lol.

The sickness was strong in me as a kid. I’d watch all night. Waiting for the radar. Or the crawl when NWS upgraded to a warning or watch. I nearly fell down the stairs when in 1993 the whole screen went red and announced a Blizzard Warning for all of NY. 

• Like 1